Tommy Olson in the booth for BTN

Meant to be humorous but if you think that Eastern Michigan viewers, watching a game on the Big Ten Network playing against a Big Ten team, with a first time announcer who just happens to be a Gopher Graduate didn't expect some bias don't know what to tell you.

Joel Klatt wasn't a Nebraska alumni but he made it clear where his prejudices were. If that bothered you then I get your indignation.

Though again, maybe a little displaced.
Eastern Michigan fans can watch it on the MAC network if they don’t like Big Ten Network coverage.

All these people bitching about Tommy O are likely the same people who bitch about announcers biased against the Gophers. We get our guy in there, a lover the of the
Gophers, a former player, a guy who bleeds maroon and gold, a guy who chose to play for the Gophers over tons of other programs, and all people do is bitch.

Amazing. And lame. Amazingly lame.
Haters gonna hate.

All these people bitching about Tommy O are likely the same people who bitch about announcers biased against the Gophers. We get our guy in there, a lover the of the
Gophers, a former player, a guy who bleeds maroon and gold, a guy who chose to play for the Gophers over tons of other programs, and all people do is bitch.

Amazing. And lame. Amazingly lame.
Haters gonna hate.
Why should anyone want "their guy" in the booth? Some of us want good announcing. (Cory Provus, Kevin Harlan, Mike Grimm, Wayne Larravie) Not blatant homerism (PA, Hawk Harrelson, who ever the morons doing Iowa football on the radio are).

I think he did a decent job given the circumstances - someone called him up on Monday before the game and said "Hey Tommy, do you want to be the analyst on Saturday's Gopher game?"

TV production has a lot of nuances and cadence and capabilities/limitations that Tommy was likely learning as he went. He maybe had one rehearsal before if he was lucky. He doesn't know the guys in the truck with the stats (if this game even had them) or what tools he might be able to use on air. He basically joined the team and got the playbook 5 days before the game.

He hasn't had a summer of practice like a new analyst hire might get that smoothes out the nervous habits we all have.

His tape isn't great, but I also think if someone coached him up for a short period of time like a lot of ex-NFL guys get, he could improve a lot.

I hope any future employers see that he was learning live on-air and he still may have a lot of potential.

He speaks clearly and articulately and intelligently, which puts him ahead of a bunch of the pack honestly.

As others have said, a little too giggly/giddy and a lot of "we", which is understandable. I was impressed by the fact that he can clearly express himself and generally it flowed; not a lot of stammering, stumbling, hesitating, "ummm", "uhhhh"....

All in all, some things to clean up that are very easy to clean up I would think.

Why should anyone want "their guy" in the booth? Some of us want good announcing. (Cory Provus, Kevin Harlan, Mike Grimm, Wayne Larravie) Not blatant homerism (PA, Hawk Harrelson, who ever the morons doing Iowa football on the radio are).

You're certainly entitled to your own preferences, and they aren't hard to understand. I tend to lean that way as well when it comes to commentators. But it should also be pretty obvious why other people on a fan board might want a homer-type person in the booth. It is, after all, a fan board. Many people here love their team, and they enjoy hearing their team cast in a good light even if it comes at the cost of some objectivity.

Different strokes for different folks.

Down to earth, relatable in an every man type of way. Amateur. I think most of us would say and do far, far worse. Some of the pros are far worse. Not the same gig but eg I can barely stand to listen to Gaard dominate the conversation on the Pair and a Spare. I have to gut it out. He drowns out Burns, who I find genuinely entertaining.

Between the all time greats and this guy he’s somewhere in the middle.

Funniest thing I've seen in a while. Good stuff.

I like Tommy and I thought he did just fine. He will grow into the spot and get better each game. It can always be tough for a first time, we need to remember to give some grace as we all have to learn a craft to become good at it. We all start somewhere and were given a chance by someone.

I remember Spencer Tollackson got a shot announcing a bball game on BTN and he did not impress. He improved over time on the Radio and was tolerable. Hopefully Tommy will get to do it again and improve his skills. I ahve enjoyed hearing him on KFAN in the past. He is definitely a homer though.

Top Bottom