To recap, the following 7 Gophers have put their name in the Transfer Portal

St Thomas is gonna build a competent program quicker than the u. 20 years of eff ups has a price.
Decisions have consequences. I do not fault the Monson and Smith hirings, but the combination of what happened eight years ago and the U's slowness to recognize that it wasn't working and correct it sooner have been catastrophic. All we have right now is hope in this wildly speculative hire, and the immediate signs are very concerning.

Mutaf - Turkish Jordan - think he'd come back with all those available minutes? Lol

I checked out his recent stats playing for a lower level pro team (I think in Spain) - pretty good. Can a player play for an overseas pro team and still be eligible to play college basketball?

I don't remember when things have ever seemed so dire. Maybe when Clem took over in the wake of the Madison incident?
Still had an engaged fan base—remember Clem expressing gratitude & amazement when 14000 endured a snowy travel night during the year one 16 game losing streak for the Ohio State game...

I checked out his recent stats playing for a lower level pro team (I think in Spain) - pretty good. Can a player play for an overseas pro team and still be eligible to play college basketball?
I believe any professional play either eliminates or makes eligibility extremely difficult. Basically why lamello ball didn't play in college, he had played in an overseas league prior.

I feel like, worst case scenario, we drop one spot in the conference standings and lose one day earlier in the B1G tourney.
That doesn't seem much worse, but it could be a lot worse. This year's team only lost 4 games at home. If there were fans, they would have enjoyed 13 wins, and only 4 losses in person, quite a few of those wins were against ranked opponents. That is an enjoyable night. That will not happen next year, I would say that it will feel much worse than 1 one spot drop in the standings.

Last edited:

This thread is hilarious. People need to relax.
Indeed, it is hilarious. The assistant coach thread, however, is where we should be up in arms. This doesn't look good so far. The longer the delay, the more I think plans have been foiled by things like Jared Nuness having good conversations but deciding to stay put. A career assistant at mid and low majors isn't inspiring me despite a decent resume.

So technically we have lost our starting 5?
Brandon Johnson hasn't technically said anything yet. But I'll be very surprised if he stays. In that case, yes! And our 6th man. Our top returning players will be Gach and Ihnen. Whew.

Well they did say Ben could recruit, can't imagine he thought he'd be doing this much recruiting right off the bat! We gotta find some way to get some guards in here..... and then a wing or two.... and then a couple posts...

Curry could come back for his 6th or 7th year. He'd be starting at center.

Well they did say Ben could recruit, can't imagine he thought he'd be doing this much recruiting right off the bat! We gotta find some way to get some guards in here..... and then a wing or two.... and then a couple posts...

You know, I'm glad to read something like this. He did get three reasonably good players in relatively short time. Robbins is a big loss but there are a lot of centers in the transfer portal and, hopefully, we do have a freshman center coming in as a backup.

If everyone stays put, we have:

Johnson, Ihnen, and two incoming bigs
a veteran small forward in Battle
Both Gach and two veteran transfer guards.

That's 8 players. We only need 4 more: a center and the rest guards and swing men and we should be fine.

Counterpoint: it makes it easier to show significant improvement and win Coach of the Year in Year 2!

Particularly on the day that Barry Alvarez announced his retirement.

The thing is, I'm not sure this had to happen. I can see it being almost inevitable that you lose a few guys under these rules, but if you convince the right guys to stay, this could have been a successful upcoming season with the right additions. Unfortunately, once the snowball starts rolling down the hill, it isn't long before the situation looks so bleak there's little option but for marketable players to jump ship and save themselves.

I can't believe this is happening everywhere there are new coaching hires.

The thing is, I'm not sure this had to happen. I can see it being almost inevitable that you lose a few guys under these rules, but if you convince the right guys to stay, this could have been a successful upcoming season with the right additions. Unfortunately, once the snowball starts rolling down the hill, it isn't long before the situation looks so bleak there's little option but for marketable players to jump ship and save themselves.

I can't believe this is happening everywhere there are new coaching hires.
People dissing the woodson hire. He very quickly convinced the team's best player to return.

This is the NCAA version of an NBA franchise with a bunch of expiring contracts.
I wish that meant we had a big salary cap and the first pick in the draft...

People dissing the woodson hire. He very quickly convinced the team's best player to return.
We don’t have a player like that, so we don’t know that Ben tried to convince anyone. My guess is he was simply honest with guys about what he’s seen and what he needs - no promises, as none of them really deserve it.

Top Bottom