Time to be honest with ourselves...

Until this year, I don't remember any "blowing of significant leads" in the Fleck years, much less "consistently". In fact, Northwestern is the only one I can think of.
This is a program problem, not a Fleck problem. Partly because of our Uber-conservative approach which doesn’t usually create big leads to blow. But you can certainly agree we have decades of blowing leads and decades of not overcoming deficits (of any size).

Fleck has taken us to another level. Our recruiting has dramatically improved and winning 9 games a season would have been a dream to us back in 2009. However, today was another example of how we have platued as a program. I am not saying that we are ever going to be a national championship contender, but I do believe that we can be a consistant top 25 team with the occasional NY6 bowl game berth, similar to what Wisconsin and Iowa have been the last 15 years. Fleck continues to blow winnable games with his overly conservative play calling and lack of development of offensive players. How many offensive skill players have actually progressed during their time as a Gopher under Fleck? Tanner regressed, CRAB regressed, BSF regressed, Athan has regressed, just to name a few. Despite on paper having the most talented offense we have ever had (6 4-stars who start) our offense does not even rank within the top 100 scoring or total offense in the entire NCAA. With the new Big Ten coming we need a change to be able to compete. But what is that change? Personally I think it is time to move on from Fleck. I am not a Fleck hater, I have defended him the past couple years, but he has not learned or progessed himself the past few years. He continues to make the same mistakes he always has and is stuck in his ways. It would be different if he learned from his mistakes, but that hasn't happened yet. I do think Fleck has all the potential in the world, but I doubt he'll ever realize that potential at Minnesota.

*edited to fix grammatical error*
What makes you believe the Gophers can be a consistent top 25 team? You have the best football coach this university has had in 60 years and you want to move on.

This is a program problem, not a Fleck problem. Partly because of our Uber-conservative approach which doesn’t usually create big leads to blow. But you can certainly agree we have decades of blowing leads and decades of not overcoming deficits (of any size).

So which is it? The Gophers have NOT blown big leads under Fleck with the exception of Northwestern. They have won more close games that they've lost. There is no trend other than fans wanting them to win more games.

1699473486370.png

How many total games in Fleck has there even been a “big” lead??

Maybe the cupcake games, how many Big Ten gsmes?

Yeah, Fleck has had a problem winning games when behind at halftime since he's been HC here.

What makes you believe the Gophers can be a consistent top 25 team? You have the best football coach this university has had in 60 years and you want to move on.
In 1967 when Gophers tied for championship of the big 10, they were not rated in the AP top 20 final poll. Coaches had them 14th. The disrespect started before it was even deserved!

So which is it? The Gophers have NOT blown big leads under Fleck with the exception of Northwestern. They have won more close games that they've lost. There is no trend other than fans wanting them to win more games.

View attachment 28135
Hey now…..don’t go trying to introduce facts. 😎

Top Bottom