Thomas Hammock

still heard nothing

Isn't there somebody who can confirm from inside what really happened? I just feel like the timing of this and what appears to me to be a stupid career move suggests he got pushed out by Kill.

How is this better for Hammock? He's not going to make Wisconsin's run game better....if they maintain, he gets no credit. If they fail, he gets the blame. He's already been there...he knows how Wisconsin does things if he desires to be a head coach....so he's not going to learn a new culture....he's been there.

The transformation of Minnesota is a career builder. An eye opener how someone turns around programs. A launch to a head job for Hammock as part of it. Makes no sense to voluntarily leave after agreeing to be hired. I know coaches are nomadic but usually they are forced to be after being fired or the new opportunity is clearly a promotion. The move to Wisconsin is not a promotion.

Is the man just dumb? Obviously Wisconsin benefits. Hammock has the reputation of being a great recruiter. But how does Hammock benefit? If Chryst didn't leave this year....is he going anywhere ever? Hammock is a pawn at Wisconsin. Wisconsin going down, not up.

It just doesn't add up for me other than he got bounced...philosophical differences, poor work ethic, unwilling to perform assigned tasks, ....I don't know....something?

The thing I don't get is the part about there being a better chance to move up to OC at wisconsin. If that's his ultimate goal, then he very easily could have gotten an OC job at a MAC or Sun Belt school. That would be a lot better IMO for his career. Sure right now there is a better chance to move up at wisconsin, but it's not a sure thing he will be the OC anytime soon either.

I think there has to be something more to it. More than likely he didn't agree with Kill and staff on philosophy and how things are run.

The thing I don't get is the part about there being a better chance to move up to OC at wisconsin. If that's his ultimate goal, then he very easily could have gotten an OC job at a MAC or Sun Belt school. That would be a lot better IMO for his career. Sure right now there is a better chance to move up at wisconsin, but it's not a sure thing he will be the OC anytime soon either.

I think there has to be something more to it. More than likely he didn't agree with Kill and staff on philosophy and how things are run.

At Minnesota there is very little chance at him moving up the ladder. At Wisconsin, there's a decent chance that Chryst could be leaving sometime soon allowing room for someone to possibly move up. Not saying it would be him by any means, but there's a chance for him if that happens 5 years down the road and he does a good job. Also, if they offered him $50-100k more than he's getting here, that would be pretty compelling. People need to understand that this isn't just something that he watches a few months out of the year and a passion like it is for us... this is his job and his business. If another school offers him better pay and better advancement opportunity, then he has to do what is smartest for him and his career.

The whole "better chance to become Wisconsin's OC if he becomes their RB coach" angle is stupid. Bielema himself was hired off a different staff to become Wisconsin's DC. If he'd rather have Wisconsin's own RB coach than Minnesota's RB coach (especially when it's the same person) to be his OC, he's even more of an idiot than I've thought all along.

At Minnesota there is very little chance at him moving up the ladder. At Wisconsin, there's a decent chance that Chryst could be leaving sometime soon allowing room for someone to possibly move up. Not saying it would be him by any means, but there's a chance for him if that happens 5 years down the road and he does a good job. Also, if they offered him $50-100k more than he's getting here, that would be pretty compelling. People need to understand that this isn't just something that he watches a few months out of the year and a passion like it is for us... this is his job and his business. If another school offers him better pay and better advancement opportunity, then he has to do what is smartest for him and his career.

So, let's get this straight. He ended up taking a position on Kill's staff to stay employed, but he was looking for another job during this period. Nice!! After all the supposed bad blood between Brewster and Wisconsin that is where he goes running. Hammock is a joke. In truth, I'm glad he's gone to Wisconsin. His recruiting is hype based on his commitment history and he has shown me nothing to indicate he can coach.

The whole "better chance to become Wisconsin's OC if he becomes their RB coach" angle is stupid. Bielema himself was hired off a different staff to become Wisconsin's DC. If he'd rather have Wisconsin's own RB coach than Minnesota's RB coach (especially when it's the same person) to be his OC, he's even more of an idiot than I've thought all along.

He must have gotten a promotion to go along with the new job, afterall that is the only way he could possibly move according to you. Unless of course you want to go with the belief that he worked the last several months under Kill without a contract.

He must have gotten a promotion to go along with the new job, afterall that is the only way he could possibly move according to you.

No, that is not what I said. I said, if under contract, you must get a promotion to move without permission. It was stated by Maturi that Kill was on the phone with Bielema. They were likely negotiating the terms of Hammock's departure, as I'm quite certain that Kill wouldn't be calling Bielema (or vice-versa) to shoot the breeze. I had stated that Kill wouldn't let Hammock leave, but clearly I was wrong about that portion.

He may get a shot at OC at Wisky, but anyway he looks at it, he is likely to get a better shot at OC somewhere sooner than he will here because they are winning now. The fact he told Kill he wanted to be part of the team is just inconvenient.
I liked Kill's line, "he really did a good job for us for 60 days and I wish him the best, and I look forward to competing with him." Then Kill made a point of basically saying he apologized to Brian Anderson in his staff meeting for not giving him the job in the first place, and that loyalty is important.
I think that says all you need to know about Hammock. Not a bad person, a good recruiter, but a guy who will break a promise when something better comes along.
It's his life, I hope it works out for him, but just another reason to kick their ass.

Top Bottom