Thomas Hammock

Bayfieldgopher

Reaction score
Many on GH wanted Coach Kill to retain Coach Hammock. I was one.

It would be interesting to listen to Hammock speak from his heart of the not so obvious differences to date with Coach Kill and Brewster and their systems. Hammock should learn a ton on how to manage a program from Coach Kill as he builds his resume assuming he has a goal to be a HC.

He can't say he didn't know what he was getting into, he witnessed first hand what a complete Tool and slimebag recruiter Bulemia is and if thats what he wants to be a part of, i guess good luck and good riddence.

He can't say he didn't know what he was getting into, he witnessed first hand what a complete Tool and slimebag recruiter Bulemia is and if thats what he wants to be a part of, i guess good luck and good riddence.

Well, I mean, Wisconsin is a much better place to get noticed as an RB coach if he wants to advance his career. They run the ball a lot and do it very well. Look at all the press they got this year with two 1000+ rushers, another with 992 yards and all three with 14+ touchdowns.

It's no coincidence that Wisconsin's RB coach got an offer from a NFL team right after the year.

Isn't he one of our better recruiters, too?

Purely conjecture on my pa

A week ago last Sunday, Joel Maturi was on the Sports Huddle with Sid and Dave. He was on the line in Tampa and was on the way home from fund raising meetings in Florida. At the start of his conversation, Maturi said he was in the boarding area with Coach Kill who was visiting with Bret Bielema at that very moment.

I wonder if Hammock's departure to Wisconsin was being discussed between the two head coaches at that time?

A few years back, Kerry Cook, an assistant under Mason signed on with Bret, if my memory serves me correctly, shortly after National Signing Day.

I'm only conjecturing.

Go Gophers!!

wisconsins running game is already top notch, not really much to improve on so . all he would get credit for is continuing the tradition if they stay at that level but unless he introduces some new wrinkles that they haven't done there before, not sure who will take notice. as JK said, its all about wanting a shot at OC position which he would of never got here, still a punk move but its his life. we'll be just fine recruiting, maybe even see some improvement from our running backs.

Life goes on. I appreciate his contributions, but we won't even be thinking of him a year from now.

Isn't Chryst still at WI? He didn't get any of the jobs he was rumored for this year, did he? Seems odd that a guy coming off the year of his coaching life, with all of the leverage in the world, and a candidate for so many different jobs, didn't get/take any of them. Makes me wonder if Chryst is going to be there for a loooooonng time, and not necessarily by his choice (poor performer in interviews? Who knows...).

Does this mean we will have an actual RB coach now? That would be great, it's been a while. maybe we can actually land a top notch running back now too.

You have no idea how Bielema recruits. But it is fun to read your posts. Maybe with a new coach the Gophers will beat the Badgers more then once a decade. At least they have a chance now that Brewster is gone. Such a shame.

Yeah, it's very unfortunate that we'll be losing his recruiting abilities, as he was the lead recruiter on virtually all our highest rated and/or best prospects. However as an RB coach, I felt he was just so-so, with RB's and a running game that was workmanlike and serviceable at best, but nothing earth-shattering at all, and of course it didn't help that for the most part, our offensive lines during his tenure did not exactly excel at run blocking (and that would be putting it mildly).

But to call him a traitor is somewhat ridiculous in my opinion. Coach Kill said it himself, “This is a situation where the stability in our staff hurt us a bit,” Kill said. “This had nothing to do with money. It had to do with advancement in his career. Thomas felt that the stability of our coordinator situation meant that the opportunity to advance from running backs coach to offensive coordinator would come quicker at Wisconsin than it would here. I appreciate what Thomas has done for us in the transition and I wish him the best.”, so in that regard, I cannot blame Hammock one bit. He desires career enhancement as does any working person in their right mind, and he knows that Kill is loyal first and foremost to his own guys (kind of like Bill Parcells with the 'Friends of Bill'), and that he would always be secondary to Kill's guys.

I'm sorry he went to Sconnie, but I can fully understand and respect his reasons for feeling he needed to leave Minnesota.

Maybe with a new coach the Gophers will beat the Badgers more then once a decade.

Maybe, in their 123rd season, the Badgers will finally win a national championship.

No, wait - what am I saying? Of course that's not going to happen.

Maybe, in their 123rd season, the Badgers will finally win a national championship.

No, wait - what am I saying? Of course that's not going to happen.

We really need to stop referring to that when confronted by Badger fans....I'd be surprised if more than 2-3 people on this forum are actually old enough to remember the last Gopher NC. Badger fans laugh every time we use our NC's from the stone age to talk trash....it's just not relevant.

We really need to stop referring to that when confronted by Badger fans....I'd be surprised if more than 2-3 people on this forum are actually old enough to remember the last Gopher NC. Badger fans laugh every time we use our NC's from the stone age to talk trash....it's just not relevant.

And the most recent (1960) was awarded before Minnesota lost their Bowl game. I'm not sure 2 or 3 saw any legit NCs.

Did I ever mention, Wisconsin won a ton of Boxing NCs in the 30s and 40s? Yeah, I know. Who cares. Same with Gopher NCs that none of us saw.

Life goes on. I appreciate his contributions, but we won't even be thinking of him a year from now.

Isn't Chryst still at WI? He didn't get any of the jobs he was rumored for this year, did he? Seems odd that a guy coming off the year of his coaching life, with all of the leverage in the world, and a candidate for so many different jobs, didn't get/take any of them. Makes me wonder if Chryst is going to be there for a loooooonng time, and not necessarily by his choice (poor performer in interviews? Who knows...).

Chyrst was offered the Texas OC job for $1M which he used to get a raise in Madison. You see, we pay our coaches, which is why we can take any of your assistant coaches when we want....Cooks and now Hammock.

SF also wanted Chryst. He was a finalist for Pitt. He's a good interviewer and a much better coach.

And the most recent (1960) was awarded before Minnesota lost their Bowl game. I'm not sure 2 or 3 saw any legit NCs.

Did I ever mention, Wisconsin won a ton of Boxing NCs in the 30s and 40s? Yeah, I know. Who cares. Same with Gopher NCs that none of us saw.

How many people do you know who witnessed any of Wisconsin's national championships?

Yup, boxing is the same as football. Good one.

Well I guess Hammock needs to go if he didn't care for Kill's coaching methods and prefers Bielema. As Kill says, "if you don't want to come to Minnesota, then we don't want you." Hammock I believe didn't handle it quite right, but hopefully we'll forget about him and hopefully Hammock will show some class regarding Minnesota's plans for the future.

How many people do you know who witnessed any of Wisconsin's national championships?

That is not the issue. Badger fans know they haven't ever won a NC in football. The issue is that we pound our chest over winning a NC that no one remembers, and no one cares about, every time a Badger fan insults our program....it's embarrassing.

You see, we pay our coaches, which is why we can take any of your assistant coaches when we want....Cooks and now Hammock.

Oh, you mean the guy who left Wisconsin for a lateral move at Notre Dame? Yeah, I'd really be bragging about that if I were you.

You're really, really bad at smack-talking - almost as bad as Wisconsin football is at winning national championships. And Big Ten championships. And head-to-head games against Minnesota.

Oh, you mean the guy who left Wisconsin for a lateral move at Notre Dame? Yeah, I'd really be bragging about that if I were you.

You're really, really bad at smack-talking - almost as bad as Wisconsin football is at winning national championships. And Big Ten championships. And head-to-head games against Minnesota.

Just stop, you are embarrassing us. If you couldn't comprehend that he was making fun of us for bragging about irrelevant NC's, then you sir are very, very dumb.

I want you to notice something. Cooks left for Notre Dame, and Wisconsin placed two CBs with some All-Big Ten mention the next season....the same two who sucked in 2009. Yeah, we're not in the least bit regretful of upgrading our coach in adding Chris Ash, who is now the Co-DC - something Cooks never would have been considered for. Either way, Wisconsin once again bends Minnesota over. I know....it sucks.

That is not the issue. Badger fans know they haven't ever won a NC in football. The issue is that we pound our chest over winning a NC that no one remembers, and no one cares about, every time a Badger fan insults our program....it's embarrassing.

False.

First of all, I highly doubt that you're even a Gopher fan, given that you have 7 posts and they're all on Thomas Hammock threads.

Next, if you've ever been to a Gopher game, you would know that the majority of the fans who sit between the 20s were alive and well the last time the Gophers won a national championship. Hell, most probably have kids who were alive themselves the last time the Gophers won a national championship. In fact, I would wager that there are more than a handful who have been alive for all 6 (which, last I checked, is greater than zero) of Minnesota's national championships.

As long as I have a breath in me, I will continue to lord Minnesota's dominance in football over both of its border rivals. Come talk to me when either Wisconsin or Iowa has 1 national title, let alone 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6.

Just stop, you are embarrassing us. If you couldn't comprehend that he was making fun of us for bragging about irrelevant NC's, then you sir are very, very dumb.

Time to put you in your place, little girl.

There is no such thing as an irrelevant national championship. They all count the same when they tally 'em up. Period. End of discussion. Any Gopher fan who would even insinuate such a thing is not a Gopher fan, which you are not. Losers think that national championships are meaningless, because then they can rationalize away the fact that they don't have any. You know, the virgin who tells everyone that sex isn't awesome because they haven't gotten any yet and want to pretend that they're not missing out.

The most embarrassing thing is the person who started posting in the last few hours and thinks they know anything about anything.

Stop talking to me.

As long as I have a breath in me, I will continue to lord Minnesota's dominance in football over both of its border rivals. Come talk to me when either Wisconsin or Iowa has 1 national title, let alone 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6.

You can have it! I'll take pounding your tails year in and year out in the forward pass era. Minnesota's relevance pre-dates any current recruits parents (and some grandparents), let alone the recruits. I'm happy to enjoy watching my team be relevant now. I doubt you are popping in tapes from the 40s.

Top Bottom