This team is close

tmvander

Reaction score
I've said it in other threads but I think this team is very close to being a very good team. They are frustrating this year, but also can be fun. I think next year will be an exciting year if Oturu comes back and we stay healthy.

I wish Omersa could score with the same level that he plays D/rebounds. Love his energy. Wish he could be a great Big Ten PF, if he could score too.

Omersa, Oturu, Gabe, Carr, Tre ... I like that starting lineup!

I wish Omersa could score with the same level that he plays D/rebounds. Love his energy. Wish he could be a great Big Ten PF, if he could score too.

Don't forget Willis...also Mashburn coming in to maybe give Carr some rest.

if omersa could hit a wide open set shot from 17 feet out...that would be helpful as in the other team would need to guard him a little bit outside the paint

Me too. If I were Pitino, I would definitely consider using Willis to come in to play the 1,2 and 3 positions in relief and Demir off the bench. It would create more balance between the bench and the starters. Willis should play 25-30 minutes but perhaps in a different role. Williams and Omersa are defensive beasts.

I have to say, even though frustrating at times, seasons like this can be fun, as we see potential and hope for the future developing, even with lower expectations.

I like Williams length/size/physciality at the 3, and if Pitino isn't going to play Greenlee as the backup point he might as well have Willis be the main sub at all 3 perimeter spots. Demir's ability to occasionally score, but not be great at rebounding/defense, would make him a better sub also.

I do have to say, when Greenlee came in for a few minutes last night ... he looked like Muggsy Bogues out there :LOL:

I have to say, even though frustrating at times, seasons like this can be fun, as we see potential and hope for the future developing, even with lower expectations.
It may be a somewhat long year, but our resume is still pretty decent giving us a good shot at the NIT and giving everyone some more quality games and experience.

It may be a somewhat long year, but our resume is still pretty decent giving us a good shot at the NIT and giving everyone some more quality games and experience.
We were as close as we could be to upsetting Purdue at Mackey. If we play like we have been of late for the remainder, we should be talking ncaa not nit. Last night wasn’t a step back, it was a great showing at one of the toughest places to play.

Gotta start stacking up wins, but this team is good enough to keep the aims high.

It's a tough conference this year. We might have to settle for just being close this year. I hope not but I am not getting my hopes up just yet.

Get Greenlee more minutes. I think, with a bit more experience, he could make the difference in games such as last night.

I know this has been covered a lot and in the "what could be" category, but this team would be so much better if Coffey stayed. Willis (when healthy) could have come off the bench, and spelled Carr a bit at point. With Greenlee not getting much play, Carr is going to be ridden as hard as Coffey was last year at the point.

With that said, they are so thin up front. If Omersa or Oturu gets in foul trouble, they have a hard time competing with teams that have multiple bigs. Pitino and Oturu did a really good job last night of masking it down the stretch, but if Oturu picks up a ticky-tack foul at any point, they would have a hard time overcoming that.

Get Greenlee more minutes. I think, with a bit more experience, he could make the difference in games such as last night.
I think you have to. Can he be like a Maverick type of guy- gets you 10 minutes, doesn't take many shots, but can distribute and be good defensively?

I know this has been covered a lot and in the "what could be" category, but this team would be so much better if Coffey stayed. Willis (when healthy) could have come off the bench, and spelled Carr a bit at point. With Greenlee not getting much play, Carr is going to be ridden as hard as Coffey was last year at the point.

With that said, they are so thin up front. If Omersa or Oturu gets in foul trouble, they have a hard time competing with teams that have multiple bigs. Pitino and Oturu did a really good job last night of masking it down the stretch, but if Oturu picks up a ticky-tack foul at any point, they would have a hard time overcoming that.
What about what other teams lost !

Until we have a replacement for Carr it's going to be impossible to hold leads

They just need more depth. If Oturu stays, they could be really good next year when the young guys are a little more experienced.

just checked kenpom... Only 9 teams have had worse luck than us this season. NINE. Out of 353. I’m not saying woe is us, but this should even out over the course of the year. Hopefully it translates into victories.

for the love of..........the NIT in year 7

If we continue playing the way we have the last 4 games, we will be playing in the NCAA tournament, not the NIT.

This team is going places. As for those who are tending toward the sissy end of the spectrum - you know who you are - come join us on the other end. It's more fun here!

We were as close as we could be to upsetting Purdue at Mackey. If we play like we have been of late for the remainder, we should be talking ncaa not nit. Last night wasn’t a step back, it was a great showing at one of the toughest places to play.

Gotta start stacking up wins, but this team is good enough to keep the aims high.

Agree, there's no reason this team can't be a NCAA team, tough schedule but they just have to start winning close games like that.

Omersa has to be the worst shooter I've seen in a gopher uniform. The fact that he is highly valued is a testament to all the other positive facets to his game. Dennis Rodman 2.0.

Omersa has to be the worst shooter I've seen in a gopher uniform. The fact that he is highly valued is a testament to all the other positive facets to his game. Dennis Rodman 2.0.
We can pray that he develops some sort of jump shot in the off-season but I have my doubts if it will ever happen.

Omersa please prove me wrong ?

Rodney Williams was another athlete that couldn’t shoot a lick. Ended up playing in the post for us T 6-6. I’d be happy with Omersa being a D & Rebound guy. At least he’s built more like Jordan Murphy or Trevor Mbakwe than Williams was.

What about what other teams lost !

Big reason why all of college basketball is so Jekyll and Hyde this year. It's also why I thought we stood a chance to be top 6 in Big Ten this year like you did as well. This team played well enough to win, disappointing they could finish it, but if they learn from it, the loss will be more valuable

Top Bottom