This is why I believe Brewster is gone after this season

Gold Rush's opening sentence, "This will probably be Tim Brewster's last season coaching the Gophers.", left me almost breathless with its audacity and foregone conclusion tone. I kept reading, thinking that he may have some inside knowledge that I was not aware of. However, it quickly became clear that Gold Flush was here on a Brewster bashing and Gopher bashing mission, ready to flush this coming football season down the toilet before it even began, along with the dedicated players and coaches, especially Coach Brewster.

This is the post of a bitter man who would have us believe otherwise. He shows his true colors by several of his pejorative statements, "This was not Brewster's fault he was hired - he was just looking to score a major college coaching job and I can't blame him for that." " He is still learning to coach four years in and nobody would dispute that..." (Conclusory judgment? Proof?)..." not even Maturi who has stated this publicly." (Unsupported by evidence.) " It was stupid to put USC on the schedule in Brewster's make or break season" (Holy Toledo! Who would you rather watch?) "Sure sounds an awful lot like Jim Wacker to me, although the difference is Wacker was genuinely a nice guy." Do these sound like the statements of a man who really wants Tim Brewster to be successful? " I want Brewster to be successful only because I am a Gopher fan. I was here long before he arrived and will be here long after he is gone." I don't think so, do you?

How about an outright misstatement of the truth? "Ticket sales for the new stadium are already going down and this is only two years in." I checked. Earlier this afternoon, I spoke with a Gopher Athletic Department official with access to this information. Football season ticket renewals are at 93%. They have a waiting list that represents another 1000 individual seat requests.. That does not count people like you and I who are thinking about buying season tickets to see the likes of Southern California, [the] Ohio State University, Penn State, Iowa, etc.

Finally, I love his final paragraph where he manages to insult all of us who are not true believers in the Gospel according to Gold Rush by telling us that we "are simply delusional and [we] will figure this out by the end of the season." The last time I checked, I was not delusional, according to my psychiatrist, nor did he inform me that I had the ability to foretell the future. What do you say to the idea that we let the players and coaches determine the results of the upcoming football season on the playing fields, which is usually how these things are done. I have been a big fan of Gopher football for the last 57 years. I support my Gophers through the good, the mediocre and the bad, including the head coach whoever that may be, because these young men are giving their very best for us, the fans, and they deserve our support, not our pre-judgment of how their season will turn out.

GO GOPHERS!

Couldn't have said it better John4254.

I don't want to go ad hominem on GoldRush, but it's difficult not to with such a chuckle-headed (though well-written, especially given the time post) entry. Mason was the laziest coach in Big 10 and probably in the nation. If you wonder why Wisconsin has established as strong recruiting presence as they have in the Minneapolis suburbs, look no further than Mase. He put together a consistent approach for the offense that produced excitement and creamed lesser opponents, but he had no idea on defense (and neither did the coordinators he hired to jump around on the sideline and pretend they knew what they were doing).

Brewster's coordinator problems are the only thing that really has me worried. We have yet to build a strong team identity and the coordinator merry-go-round has a lot to do with that. Brewster has recruited hard, but he's missed out on some of the more top drawer kids who are at least visiting here now. Establishing an identity will probably help land some of these kids.

I hope for improvement in 2010 although I realize that the improvement may not show up in the win-loss record.

This program needs a friggin running back.....that is it. We get a legit running back in here that can break a tackle, outrun a LB, and give Weber a little help on the occassional blitz and you will see a VAST improvement in all corners of this team.

Bennett and Eskridge are backups. Hopefully Edwards comes in and helps us out this year.

Exactly. This is the biggest need and the biggest advantage other teams have over us right now.

but it is just that, an opinion. Many disagree with you and they are not delusional. Like the other poster said, a 3 win season is not out of the realm of possibility, but neither is a 8 win season and I think we will be much more likely to win 8 games than 3 games. The predictions pick us last because they always pick you last if you have new starters and question marks.

What the *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#? An 8-win season. Who stated this? No, the Gophers WILL NOT win 8 games. Was that a joke or sarcastic statement possibly?

Jumping ship is easy to do. I gave Mason 5 years and I will give Brewster the same. One area I do not agree on is the notion that Brewster is not recruiting better. Recruits like Garin, Hageman, Carter, Gray are damn good athletes. Better than all but a couple of Mason recruits. Brewster redshirted many players. This is good thing long-term, but doesn't do much for short term fans. I will be willing to bet that Brewster's 2010 Gopher team will have a few players on the all Big Ten teams. Maybe not first team, but some on second team and honorable mention. Our OL prospects are looking up with Brewster getting Gjere, Olson and other recruits. Most have red shirted.

The wins may or may not come, but the talent, on a whole, is better. I will give him time to see if the wins do come. Starting over with a mid major coach is not what I would call progress right now.

So you're saying the team is more talented, but may win less games?
Interesting...

This.

You can say what you want about Brewster, but the guy had (has) a plan for building the program. He's not just randomly been patch-working things together in an effort to win a few games. He's following a road map to building a top flight program. Now whether or not he's able to achieve that, no one can say for sure. You can also easily debate much of the plan and the progress towards achieving it (ie, "That shouldn't be part of building a program," or "Brewster has made no headway in that area"). That said, I don't think anyone can debate the existence of the plan:

1) Bring in assistant coaches whose main passion and talent is recruiting.
2) Use said coaches to bring in an influx of talent over a 4-5 year period, not only for star power, but also to build depth.
3) Re-connect with area high school coaches in order to make headway with local athletes.
4) Try to bring some excitement back to the program by re-connecting with local media outlets as well as "John Q. Fan."
5) Schedule games against some big name programs to excite fans and get Minnesota's name on the national radar.

Rebuttal to your points:
1) He has brought in TOO many coaches. It's a joke. the constant changes in assistants is hurting the program. Period.
2) The recruiting classes are getting less and less talented. In fact, some consider this year's group the worst in the Big Ten.
3) He has missed on the top player from Minnesota in every season at the helm.
4) I don't like Brewster and I am John Q. Fan.
5) I agree with this point. I cannot argue that...

Does John Q. Fan most about how the Gopher baseball team stinks, and then not have a word to say when they win the Big Ten regular season title?

Rebuttal to your points:
1) He has brought in TOO many coaches. It's a joke. the constant changes in assistants is hurting the program. Period.
2) The recruiting classes are getting less and less talented. In fact, some consider this year's group the worst in the Big Ten.
[B]5) I agree with this point. I cannot argue that[/B]...[/QUOTE]

You did

"So you're saying the team is more talented, but may win less games? "

Rebuttal to your points:
5) I agree with this point. I cannot argue that...

1) Don't disagree with you there. We need to do a better job of keeping coaches around.
2) Last year's class was disappointing, no arguing that. But you can't deny that if you look at the talent brought in the last 3 years, we have a lot more talent on this team then before Brewster was the coach. Whether that turns into more wins is yet to be seen.
3) You statement is not even a rebuttal to what he said. His statement is completely true. Brewster has improved the relationship with area high school coaches compared to when Mason was here and it's not even close. We've still missed on some top players, but we've gotten some pretty darn good ones too. At least for now, it seems that MN kids are just like "in-state" guys for schools like Iowa and Wisky is no longer in effect.

What the *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#? An 8-win season. Who stated this? No, the Gophers WILL NOT win 8 games. Was that a joke or sarcastic statement possibly?

yes who said an 8 win season? I said we are more likely to win 8 games than 3 games, neither record may happen and some record in between also could happen.

1) Don't disagree with you there. We need to do a better job of keeping coaches around.
2) Last year's class was disappointing, no arguing that. But you can't deny that if you look at the talent brought in the last 3 years, we have a lot more talent on this team then before Brewster was the coach. Whether that turns into more wins is yet to be seen.
3) You statement is not even a rebuttal to what he said. His statement is completely true. Brewster has improved the relationship with area high school coaches compared to when Mason was here and it's not even close. We've still missed on some top players, but we've gotten some pretty darn good ones too. At least for now, it seems that MN kids are just like "in-state" guys for schools like Iowa and Wisky is no longer in effect.

I'm just saying, if Brewster had such a great relationship with the coaches, why didn't he land Seantrel Henderson, Beau Allen, Mike Floyd or Bryce McNeal? I mean, that's 0-for-4. I'm not sure 1-for-4 would have even been good enough.

Just another passive-agressive post that draws attention to itself and states nothing new.

"I want Brewster to be successful only because I am a Gopher fan. I was here long before he arrived and will be here long after he is gone."

B.S. You hope for failure so that you can puff out your chest and say you were right. You hope for success so that you can puff out your chest and say you were right. Can't have it both ways.

Support the organization, support the players, support the coaches. Let the U decide what will transpire as the season progresses.

It's not blind support, it's what "support" means.

I'm going to stop reading this thread right here and just hope whatever follows is as worthy as this post. This post is as close to spot-on as it gets IMO on more than one level. Thanks for saying a lot in a relatively small space.

I'm just saying, if Brewster had such a great relationship with the coaches, why didn't he land Seantrel Henderson, Beau Allen, Mike Floyd or Bryce McNeal? I mean, that's 0-for-4. I'm not sure 1-for-4 would have even been good enough.

Two reasons: 1) Until we are considered a big-time program like USC or Notre Dame, we will lose kids. It's just going to happen. 2) It, ultimately, is the player's decision.

Why did you just single out those 4? What about Maresh, Hageman, Edwards, Alipate, Garin, and Gjere? They may not all be on the same level as Floyd or Henderson. But they were all highly recruited guys and they all signed at MN.

The in-state recruiting for the Gophers has gotten better over the past few years, there's no denying that. In 2009, we signed 5 of the top 6 MN kids. Then last year, 2 of the top 3. In the past, that never happened.

Top Bottom