This is surreal. Gophers had 5 passes in the 2nd half last night. 5!!!!

To be fair. Whether or not being benched mid 3rd quarter would help AK or not really depends on AKs makeup. Not yours mine or PJs

I would’ve taken him out. But I am not really upset he didn’t. It is what it is (sadly)

Did you agree with the 11 runs in the 4th?

Did you agree with the 11 runs in the 4th?
Sadly, I didn’t care.

I would’ve preferred to keep mixing it. But I see why they did what they did. Game was out of hand. Get out of there. Team doesn’t have much depth. Get out of there.

sad that’s how bad this team is. This is the 2020 team. Hopefully they improve like that team did.

Sadly, I didn’t care.

I would’ve preferred to keep mixing it. But I see why they did what they did. Game was out of hand. Get out of there. Team doesn’t have much depth. Get out of there.

sad that’s how bad this team is. This is the 2020 team. Hopefully they improve like that team did.
I think this goes back to PJ continuing to run the ball against E Mich and LA when he should be working on the passing game too, Not also why we still had starters in on D at the end, need to give people playing experience incase they are needed down the road. he really does not know how to manage a game

This QB AK can't get it done -- yet. You lower your probabilities of winning if you pass.

----

Everyone makes complete sense to criticize the lack of a dynamic passing game -- under normal circumstances. You need a QB to run a better passing attack, though.

I think this goes back to PJ continuing to run the ball against E Mich and LA when he should be working on the passing game too, Not also why we still had starters in on D at the end, need to give people playing experience incase they are needed down the road. he really does not know how to manage a game
If you want to see a guy who doesn’t know how to manage a game look at what happened to Miami this weekend

And that coaches did the same thing against Stanford a few years back

I don’t think Fleck trusts his OC or QB
And one of flecks faults is that he doesn’t give guys second chances. Which is why it has taken us forever to see Evans and is why the offensive philosophy is completely different weeks 2-now compared to week 1. Completely different approach.

I would guess we will have a new OC in 2024

This is what happens when you view every game as a “one game championship season”. Things aren’t that simple.

This QB AK can't get it done -- yet. You lower your probabilities of winning if you pass.

----

Everyone makes complete sense to criticize the lack of a dynamic passing game -- under normal circumstances. You need a QB to run a better passing attack, though.
Fans are always

Why not just score?!?!

Sadly, I didn’t care.

If the concern was staying healthy with little depth then why not rotate in the 3-4th stringers?

It is not surreal. It is our coaches quitting and the team quitting. We went into the half down 14 with 7 of those points coming on a pick 6 + XP. Not to say that we had momentum and were ready to rally back in the 2nd half - but we didn't even try. Our coaches balled up and so did the players with the hope of keeping MI under 50. This is not the type of decision that should be made in year 7 - especially not for a team that our own fans claim are in the best run of Gopher football in the last 50 years. This team has regressed in every facet of the game. It is sad to see.

There isn’t anything inexplicable (unless you’re an idiot). In the second half, down by 14 pts, they ran the ball 4 times and tried to run pass plays SEVEN (7) times. They didn't complete a single pass in those 7 attempts, but threw one interception that was returned for a TD.

After that it was 45-10 and all of the Michigan’s backups were in and the game was already over, so the rest of the plays are irrelevant.

Two years in a row now or maybe two out of the last three I can’t remember our passing offense ranked in the bottom five in as FCS football. I can’t believe we all have to watch this offense And that PJ can wake up in the morning and look himself in the mirror.

Two years in a row now or maybe two out of the last three I can’t remember our passing offense ranked in the bottom five in as FCS football. I can’t believe we all have to watch this offense And that PJ can wake up in the morning and look himself in the mirror.
I can’t believe that we hired internal!

Some OCs are crazy enough to call screens to defeat the all out hard rush.
Unfortunately for us, not sure a screen would work because they are getting that kind of pressure rushing 4 guys (usually).

1. We didn't play to win the game. We played to lose by the smallest margin.
2. If I was a rival program recruiting the same HS QB the Gophers were...I'd ask the recruit one question: Do you have a signed agreement you will get to start in games? I ask because no backup QB has played in 7 years for PJ unless the starter is carted off....no matter how poorly he plays, how many games he loses, how many interceptions he throws...nothing...the game one starter keeps playing. There will be no QB controversy at MN. Whoever starts game one is not coming off the field unless he physically can't play. As soon as he can play...he's back.
3. When you need backups to play because of circumstances...it is really helpful if they have played. They are going to play better with some experience. PJ just will not tolerate any talk of someone else playing QB. If we had put another QB in versus Michigan and he played better than AK8 PJ would skip the press conference....solution never play another QB. If he has to play...set him up for failure...without warming up ask him to launch a 50 yard pass.

more than one thing can be true at the same time.

--the Michigan game was out of hand.
-- running the ball keeps the clock moving and gets the game over sooner
-- the pass rush was giving AK a lot of problems
-- if you want to 'work' on the passing game, you probably don't do that against one of the best defenses in the country
-- most coaches don't pull QB's when trailing unless there is an injury. Fleck is no different - backup only plays when Gophers are winning by a large margin

and then some conjecture:
-- if AK couldn't get anyone done against the Michigan defense, chances are that the backups wouldn't fare any better - and could have done worse
-- Gophs are thin at QB. only backups are Kramer - who generally only runs wildcat - and Viotto, a true FR who has never taken a varsity snap.

-- if you want to 'work' on the passing game, you probably don't do that against one of the best defenses in the country
-- most coaches don't pull QB's when trailing unless there is an injury. Fleck is no different - backup only plays when Gophers are winning by a large margin

-- if AK couldn't get anyone done against the Michigan defense, chances are that the backups wouldn't fare any better - and could have done worse
-- Gophs are thin at QB. only backups are Kramer - who generally only runs wildcat - and Viotto, a true FR who has never taken a varsity snap.
1st bolded two lines: Correct...we quit
3rd bolded line: Maybe Kramer or Viotto make quicker decisions? Maybe they have an ability to slide in the pocket? Maybe on game day they are our most accurate QB? I guarantee you they think they can do better. If they can't...I gave them a chance. If they can, I made a mistake...I'm playing the wrong guy and we solved a problem.
What is the downside? We are getting beat...who cares the margin. Let's learn something about our team....let's give some guys a chance to show me what they got.
The downside: you truly need to admit you are an idiot as the head coach when the replacement goes Tommy Kramer and throws for 4 TD's.
4th bolded line: you don't get to set up conditions or timing for opportunities but you utilize them to their most effective outcome...you find answers...Michigan was playing backups
5th bolded line: I agree depending on the score. Most coaches don't lay down the entire 4th quarter. Most coaches are not behind by 42 points in year 7. Sometimes you gotta make chicken salad out of caca...you don't throw the white flag out for a half
6th bolded line: nice attitude....that thinking IS THE PROBLEM...they also could have done better....tough to know if they never get any time....I know it is safer that way....PJ could get discovered for malpractice or he could solve a problem or he could motivate his second team or validate to them why they don't play more...only benefits to them playing
Plus, if your starters are that damn special....they are not likely to get hurt on the sidelines AND if they want to play more...PLAY BETTER!!
7th bolded lines: We also have Shikenjanski who supposedly is amazing... if we only have two QB's...whose fault is that? There were 311 QB's in the portal...grab one...we didn't seem worried? We don't play Macalester...so if Viotta ever does get a snap it will be against a quality team...I doubt he said don't put me in coach
Kramer only runs the Wildcat for PJ but Kramer also clearly looked superior to AK8 in the spring game running our offense
Just to be clear...I agreed with nothing you said...but that's what a message board is for imo

AK is not good. He has done nothing all year. PJ needs to open the QB position up!!!!

If this is the conventional wisdom out there, just forfeit and save the chance of injury to the remaining players. Why bother? Call it. Mercy rule, whatever. More defensible than what I saw.

Michigan had backups in, the game was essentially over. AK8 was shell shocked and ineffective.

If this is the conventional wisdom out there, just forfeit and save the chance of injury to the remaining players. Why bother? Call it. Mercy rule, whatever. More defensible than what I saw.

Michigan had backups in, the game was essentially over. AK8 was shell shocked and ineffective.
That would likely negate some tv contracts

I agree
That was a response to a guy who said we needed to screen more to defeat an “all out hard rush”
I watched a couple OL just get tossed to the side once the DL read the play and decided to go make the play. Michigan just sat in a fundamentally sound base defense and let their guys dominate with a zone behind them for the most part. It was a clinic.

Michigan is that good. They won their first three games without their HC by a 96-16 clip. Coach came back and their first 3 conference games were 128-24. He's the OC and you can see the difference when he is calling the games since coming back.

The o-line is BRUTAL is pass protection. Don't think we can make an assessment on AK yet.....but I'm not liking what I'm seeing so far. His mechanics are lousy. His side-arm....low trajectory passes are going to continue to get batted down. Either that gets fixed or we build an impenetrable line.

I watched a couple OL just get tossed to the side once the DL read the play and decided to go make the play. Michigan just sat in a fundamentally sound base defense and let their guys dominate with a zone behind them for the most part. It was a clinic.

Michigan is that good. They won their first three games without their HC by a 96-16 clip. Coach came back and their first 3 conference games were 128-24. He's the OC and you can see the difference when he is calling the games since coming back.
Yeah.

Pretty clear in year 7 Minnesota isn’t at the reload stage of program building yet.
It’s definitely a rebuild.

My expectations were recalibrated after northwestern game.
Hoping for a 5-4 conference season. That would be a success. Because this team isn’t very good.

The o-line is BRUTAL is pass protection. Don't think we can make an assessment on AK yet.....but I'm not liking what I'm seeing so far. His mechanics are lousy. His side-arm....low trajectory passes are going to continue to get batted down. Either that gets fixed or we build an impenetrable line.
Seeing if someone can help me out......were people complaining about the OL before this game?

My recollection is that they had been fine up to this point. Definitely not last years line, but it hadn't been a weak point.

Top Bottom