This guy is spot on

No level of play calling would have changed the way the game played out with how terrible the OL played against MI! It still would have been a blowout!!

A 10 year old calling the plays Tecmo Bowl style (4 play playbook) with Michigan's roster would have beaten an all-star staff of the best coaches and coordinators in college football with the Gophers roster.

The dragging recruiting is the issue. I'm more frustrated at how the staff seems to be getting lower recruiting ranks (has dropped from the 20-30 range to the 40-50 range) with more on-field success than I am specific play-calling choices in games.

The Gophers can't be as creative or aggressive because the players aren't good enough to execute them under the pressure of a more talented defense.

A 10 year old calling the plays Tecmo Bowl style (4 play playbook) with Michigan's roster would have beaten an all-star staff of the best coaches and coordinators in college football with the Gophers roster.

The dragging recruiting is the issue. I'm more frustrated at how the staff seems to be getting lower recruiting ranks (has dropped from the 20-30 range to the 40-50 range) with more on-field success than I am specific play-calling choices in games.

The Gophers can't be as creative or aggressive because the players aren't good enough to execute them under the pressure of a more talented defense.

They were never ranked in the 20-30 range, they have always been ranked nationally between the upper 30s - low 50s under PJ. PJ's lowest ranked class at 60 was his first one, the one he put together in 3 weeks, and it actually may have been his best class from how the players turned out.

Michigan has nothing to do with anything.

Ignore that game and result.

We can win the remaining games other than Ohio State, but it is valid to question if better playcalling on offense would help with that!

(IT WOULD)

Basically starts by calling out people who destroy players and the team after losses and are silent after wins. Or they find the negative in everything.

Specifically commenting on a QB recruit’s social media questioning why he’s coming here.

Those things have impact

No level of play calling would have changed the way the game played out with how terrible the OL played against MI! It still would have been a blowout!!
Yup. First play…. ball thrown to the DB…

Play call doesn’t fix that. Players gotta make plays no matter what you call.

This content creator is diligent, and passionate - I appreciate he is steadfast. He's got some ways to go for me to be a regular listener though, just isn't smooth and does grate on me a little bit. "We're gonna be TOCKING about gopher football, we're gonna TOCK about the D line, we're gonna TOCK about Iowa..." - Not an actual quote, but I can't unhear the way he pronounces some words. I say that as a person that sounds basically Canadian.

“players gotta make plays no matter what the play call”

BS

So just run full-back isolation lead 1950’s 3 plays in a row every time??

If they would just execute!!!

Play calls matter

Michigan has nothing to do with anything.

Ignore that game and result.

We can win the remaining games other than Ohio State, but it is valid to question if better playcalling on offense would help with that!

(IT WOULD)
You bring up a good point. What I wonder is how much of the play calling was due to the opponent.

BS

Play calls matter
100%

Football is an easy game if:
1) Put players in position to be successful
2) Players don't have to think
3) Players play fast (2 and 3 go hand-in-hand)

As an example, someone else brought this up maybe in another thread, if their DL is ripping through our protection, why not try something else??
- quick pass
- screens
- bootleg/rollout

Just get him in space with a chance to make a short completion on the run with no one in his face.

If I can think of that, so can anyone. They’d adjust on defense of course, then you go to the next thing.

Cat and mouse between coordinators is how it always works. They were cat and we were a dead mouse.

BS

Play calls matter
So of course it’s a combination of making the right call and executing. I will say very few truly disastrous results like pick sixes etc can be blamed primarily on the play call.

That is fair. Combo, that’s how life is usually, somewhere in the middle.

Basically starts by calling out people who destroy players and the team after losses and are silent after wins. Or they find the negative in everything.

Specifically commenting on a QB recruit’s social media questioning why he’s coming here.

Those things have impact
It really is unfortunate that there are posters that only show up when there is something to complain about and then get all defensive when they get called out for not really being a fan.

The social media aspect is just pathetic.

Sad that there are people wired that way to where they only focus on the negative in all situations. Seems like a miserable way to go through life.

It really is unfortunate that there are posters that only show up when there is something to complain about and then get all defensive when they get called out for not really being a fan.

The social media aspect is just pathetic.

Sad that there are people wired that way to where they only focus on the negative in all situations. Seems like a miserable way to go through life.
💯

The Gophers will rebound. PJ Fleck has a lot of figuring out to do. The talent gap is evident against Michigan.

The Gophers need to rachet up recruiting. It is a combination of things that need to be worked on. Coaching, dynamic offensive scheme, recruiting.

Just choose to ratchet up recruiting.

They had chosen not to fully ratchet before, but from now on they will! They’ve learned their lesson!

They had chosen not to fully ratchet before, but from now on they will! They’ve learned their lesson!
We'll see. I am beginning to think we've seen the ceiling with Fleck and recruiting. This is coming for someone who has seen him as a very good recruiter in the past.

Yeah, I was being sarcastic.

I highly doubt that there is some gear left to hit yet, in terms of effort and skill of recruiting. I have to think no one actually thinks Fleck has held back, there.

The rest of it is stuff out of his hands. NIL, hometown stars not wanting to stay home, out of region kids not wanting to come to frozen MN.

That stuff no amount of effort alone can overcome. Only money

What are the details/mechanics of ratcheting up recruiting?

Top Bottom