**THIS FORUM**

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

-Theodore Roosevelt

Chicken and rice soup (no cheese) did not work last Saturday so back to chili this week. May end up being super spicy in SHUs (Scoville Heat Units) but molecular temp right at a bowl sitting in the sun the last Saturday in September...maybe 78 F with some luck.

Sorry, no fire around this one coming in but plenty of kindling if HC and the rest take advantage.

Hard to see surface of the Sun again though temp wise until after "Meecheegaaannn" as those folks say. Wonder if they will even bring The Jug?

So this is positive, sort of...

Positivity?! You sound like some kind of unwashed hippie. This is a Minnesota forum bah humbug!

I'm always kind of curious to know what the demographics are of the haters that come out of the woodwork after losses. I'm sure some are trolls from rivals, some just hate Fleck and wait for their opportunity to pounce, but is there another group I'm missing?

Also, I would be curious to know of all the haters that only come out after losses, did they go to the U of M? Or are the Gophers just their adopted team since they live here? I feel like if you went to the U, you'd be less likely to end up in the hater crowd. At least that's my experience among my friends and acquaintances.

Sports are here for entertainment. Enjoy the ride. Don't let sports ruin your day. It's just a game.

Last edited:

I'm always kind of curious to know what the demographics are of the haters that come out of the woodwork after losses. I'm sure some are trolls from rivals, some just hate Fleck and wait for their opportunity to pounce, but is there another group I'm missing?

Also, I would be curious to know of all the haters that only come out after losses, did they go to the U of M? Or are the Gophers just their adopted team since they live here? I feel like if you went to the U, you'd be less likely do end up in the hater crowd. At least that's my experience among my friends and acquaintances.

Sports are here for entertainment. Enjoy the ride. Don't let sports ruin your day. It's just a game.
There are definitely a lot of accounts that almost exclusively post after bad things.

Also, I would be curious to know of all the haters that only come out after losses, did they go to the U of M? Or are the Gophers just their adopted team since they live here? I feel like if you went to the U, you'd be less likely do end up in the hater crowd. At least that's my experience among my friends and acquaintances.

There is a subset of people out there that just get off on being negative. You can see the joy in their posts when they have something to come in and rip the team or other fans about. Seems like a sad way to go through life but it is commonplace on the internet.

Also, I would be curious to know of all the haters that only come out after losses, did they go to the U of M? Or are the Gophers just their adopted team since they live here? I feel like if you went to the U, you'd be less likely to end up in the hater crowd. At least that's my experience among my friends and acquaintances.

There's a massive group of people that really don't like PJ but we've won enough in recent years that they really have to pounce on opportunities like last Saturday to get their shots in.

I have optimism, not the empty calories of positivity.

"Remember, Red, hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

Still a lot of season left and I still have hope for plenty of wins. Move forward, beat Louisiana then get ready to fight for some victories in the Big Ten.

I don't want to get back into that moronic debate on whether someone is "a real fan" or not.

there are all kinds of fans.

I want the Gophers to win, but I'm also realistic about the teams' issues.

If the Gophers want to contend for the West title - or even post a solid record and make it to a decent Bowl game - they need to play better than they have up to this point of the season. And that means the Coaches and the players need to recognize the issues and take concrete steps to fix those issues.

I will be very happy if the Gophers play better and win games.

But if they don't play better, I reserve my right to point out issues and ask questions about what is causing those issues.

Positive take: Only one game. Plenty of time to turn it around.

Negative take: Season is over.

Realistic take: I will be there as always, but I am very ho-hum about this team.

I think this is a retooling year. I known this this feeling that this was the last year we’d have a shot in this conference because the big 4 from the west coast are coming next year, but we’ll see the reality of that when it actually comes. This year wasn’t meant to be 2019 all over again, we have a lot of inexperience on both sides of the ball and and a pretty rough schedule. I believe we’re going to win a game we shouldn’t, but we might lose another we shouldn’t have. Everything is still in front of us, even though I don’t have the expectation of greatness this year, we still have the possibility of some memorable moments going forward. I’m excited to watch this team develop. I really believe there will be a lot of improvement by the end of the season.

Positivity? Never heard of it. I’m a Viking and Twins playoff fan.

There is a subset of people out there that just get off on being negative. You can see the joy in their posts when they have something to come in and rip the team or other fans about. Seems like a sad way to go through life but it is commonplace on the internet.

That's one explanation. The other one is that bad outcomes often lead to stronger feelings and more passionate reactions than good ones. I would also say that people may be less content to suffer alone than to celebrate alone.

Top Bottom