The regression since the MSU game is crazy

Saying a game is "winnable" is a pointless. One could say that about almost all the teams except OSU and maybe Michigan. I recall you saying that about our entire Big Ten schedule before it started but here we are with 3 losses in our first 4 conference games. So, what was the value of making that declaration? Are you starting to get that?
My bad....will make sure to clear all my opinions through you before posting on the board.

My bad....will make sure to clear all my opinions through you before posting on the board.

Well, unlike many, I tend to remember posters' words but, if you don't mind looking foolishly optimistic, by all means carry on.

technically, all of the remaining games are "winnable."

But, if the Gophers want to win those games, the coaches and players have to be willing to make changes.

the Gophers simply cannot keep running the same schemes - that are NOT working - and expect different results. sure, some of it can be attributed to execution, but I think a lot of it is simply that other teams have recognized the Gophers' weaknesses, and are taking advantage of them.

the players are not suddenly going to become faster, stronger or more athletic. you can do some tweaking on techniques, but technique is not going to turn any of the current WR's into Bateman or Johnson. Technique is not going to turn Carroll into Faalele.

so the Coaches have a choice - keep running the same stuff, or try something different.

Well, unlike many, I tend to remember posters' words but, if you don't mind looking foolishly optimistic, by all means carry on.
Sorry if my future outlook isn't gloomy enough for you. I look at our schedule and see 5 teams that have plenty of warts just like we do. And I see 5 teams that have a lot more in common with MSU than PSU.

We will have to play a lot better than we have over the past few games but there isn't a team left on our schedule that hasn't been struggling this year as well.

So yeah, I choose to remain optimistic that we can get things turned around and compete with the teams ahead.

The portal (today's most important recruiting tool, with instant results) will have to save the Gophers in '23. Athan will be a great QB, but he needs help: receivers, offensive linemen, running backs.

Sorry if my future outlook isn't gloomy enough for you. I look at our schedule and see 5 teams that have plenty of warts just like we do. And I see 5 teams that have a lot more in common with MSU than PSU.

We will have to play a lot better than we have over the past few games but there isn't a team left on our schedule that hasn't been struggling this year as well.

So yeah, I choose to remain optimistic that we can get things turned around and compete with the teams ahead.

You still don't get it. My outlook is neither gloomy nor rosy. It's dispassionate and, truth be told, it's probably more optimistic than pessimistic. I just choose not to be a cheerleader because I care more about not being wrong than I care about being popular. I think the baseline is a 7-5 regular season finish at this point, disappointing but all right if we can win the bowl game. Is an 8-4 regular season possible? Yes. How about 9-3? Nah. Don't think that's happening. This team isn't consistent or focused enough to win 5 straight.

I'd like to think we get Rutgers and NW at home.

Not confident about either Neb or Wisc on the road. I think both are moving in the right direction under new staffs, new energy, while we're going in the other direction, and they're road games in very hostile environments.

Iowa at home ... might be a 6-3 win for one team. Hope that team is us.

Gets us to 7-5 and a Pig. Otherwise, 6-6 and none.

I'd like to think we get Rutgers and NW at home.

Not confident about either Neb or Wisc on the road. I think both are moving in the right direction under new staffs, new energy, while we're going in the other direction, and they're road games in very hostile environments.

Iowa at home ... might be a 6-3 win for one team. Hope that team is us.

Gets us to 7-5 and a Pig. Otherwise, 6-6 and none.

The thing about Nebraska is that they don't have the kind of defense that stifles us (at least they haven't shown that so far) so I like our chances with them. If we can avoid giving Iowa too many turnovers and short fields, we should be able to win but they're very good at getting both so that's much easier said than done. Although I think it's possible, I would be very surprised if we beat Wisconsin this year.

Ahh, regression. 5 offensive line penalties, defensive lapses, that’s not a competition thing.
You don't think it was a bit weird that All-American JMS just suddenly had a false-start, when he hadn't before this season?

PSU's DL was cheating, yelling out fake snap counts. That is explicitly against the rules, and the refs didn't do jack s__t about it. Very possibly couldn't hear it with the crowd noise.

The thing about Nebraska is that they don't have the kind of defense that stifles us (at least they haven't shown that so far) so I like our chances with them. If we can avoid giving Iowa too many turnovers and short fields, we should be able to win but they're very good at getting both so that's much easier said than done. Although I think it's possible, I would be very surprised if we beat Wisconsin this year.
On the road is the thing, and so that goes for Nebraska as well as Wisc.

Neb is looking at our game as a must-win, if they want to try to make it to a bowl game.

The prestige of the game means nothing if you get your assed kicked (I guess I might exclude a national championship from that statement). I don't know why more of you can't understand that.
It means something because the first goal is to win the Division every season.

Is there anything you are not the absolute best at doing? In your humble opinion?

On the road is the thing, and so that goes for Nebraska as well as Wisc.

Neb is looking at our game as a must-win, if they want to try to make it to a bowl game.

Yes, Nebraska needs to beat us more than we need to beat them so that definitely could be a factor like it was for us in the last regular season game of 2018 when we went to Madison with a 5-6 record and broke our long losing streak. Nebraska's losing streak against Iowa is the same as ours and they play them in the last regular season game so I hope they do that to Iowa instead of us.

For sure.

I mean, 7-5 with a Pig is still something. Obviously rooting for 5-0.

But until/unless Fleck and KC actually decide to try something, anything to give the offense a spark, I don't trust this team against any other team with a reasonable pulse.

I mean ... if they don't change a thing for the rest of the year on offense, when they know it's not working .... JFC. How mule stubborn do you have to be??

Top Bottom