The new turf is in at Minnesota Stadium (aka The Bank)

It was a football stadium when they first opened it. Guess they changed their minds. The almighty dollar!

Yep, the original plan was a football stadium.

Alumni Association Magazine - Summer 2006

What will the stadium look like?

Project architects HOK Sport of Kansas City, Missouri, whose résumé includes Jacobs Field in Cleveland and Camden Yards in Baltimore, and local partner Architectural Alliance of Minneapolis, will release stadium sketches in fall 2006. Following project guidelines, the TCF Bank Stadium will have a collegiate style in an open-air, horseshoe design. It will be home not only to the Gopher football program but also to the Minnesota Marching band, and will be suitable for commencement ceremonies, soccer games and intramural sports, concerts, and other campus community events.

Project architects HOK Sport of Kansas City, Missouri, whose résumé includes Jacobs Field in Cleveland and Camden Yards in Baltimore, and local partner Architectural Alliance of Minneapolis, will release stadium sketches in fall 2006. Following project guidelines, the TCF Bank Stadium will have a collegiate style in an open-air, horseshoe design. It will be home not only to the Gopher football program but also to the Minnesota Marching band, and will be suitable for commencement ceremonies, soccer games and intramural sports, concerts, and other campus community events.

STOP with the facts schidt!

This is semi similar to the shock some folks had over the AD search taking a long time.

The President outright said shortly after MEGATOUNGE resigned that they would begin the search in the spring. But then all the ultra informed folks come out of the woodwork shocked that they didn't pick someone earlier...

Although wanting to know who the AD is makes a bit more sense than being worried about soccer. That I don't even...

Somehow I knew this, like sooooo many other seemingly simple things before it, would get F'd up. Gone will be the maroon end zones, stitched block M, etc. etc. and we will have faded, smeared paint on rainy days all so the facility can more easily host other stuff, maybe. I'm sure other B1G stadiums will follow along with this very practical turf arrangement... NOT.

Everyone said there would be painted turf for the years the stadium was shared with the Vikings and then it would go right back to the way it was. Instead, it will now be WORSE with not even the yard marking lines being stitched in.

More small time "sensible" decision making. Yawn.

A deal breaker? No, of course not. I will survive and this isn't the biggest problem facing Gopher football, of course. I just see it as more evidence of the overall disease that has afflicted my favorite football program since the 1960's.

Couldn't agree more with you, Schnauzer.

I just see it as more evidence of the overall disease that has afflicted my favorite football program since the 1960's.

Trying to generate revenue from its stadium seems like a pretty new strategy to combat the disease that has afflicted your favorite football program.

Trying to generate revenue from its stadium seems like a pretty new strategy to combat the disease that has afflicted your favorite football program.

Like I said, I'm sure all the other B1G stadiums will be following up with this same great idea. Everybody wants revenue.

How about flea markets? That might generate some revenue too.

The soccer police are similar to the band police. If you don't like soccer you just don't understand it. Did I get that right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tell you what, Spoof. If you want Football to rule the U of M - if you want every decision to be made with Football always the #1 priority - then I have a simple solution.

WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN. Win something - a Divisional title - a Conference title - a major Bowl Game.

Sell out every game, and build up a waiting list for tickets - so people can't snatch up tickets on StubHub for a pittance the day before a game. Have people clamoring to buy season tickets - not dumping their tickets and whining about the cost.

Respect is not given - it's earned.

Like I said, I'm sure all the other B1G stadiums will be following up with this same great idea. Everybody wants revenue.

Then it would just be like alcohol sales. The U is one of those leading the way on that idea.

Works for me. In a perfect world, the stadium would create revenue for Gopher sports 365 days a year.

Just be thankful the multi-sport facility crowd didn't get their way when they built the bank with the stands extra close to the field. The soccer field configuration they used in 2014 was only 68 yards wide compared to the 75 yards the soccer people would have liked.

I'm pretty sure using the stadium for 7 days a year is the smartest thing ever. Go for it. Then whine about ticket prices and seat licenses. Go for it. Be a typical cheap-ass Minnesota fan.

I'm pretty sure using the stadium for 7 days a year is the smartest thing ever. Go for it. Then whine about ticket prices and seat licenses. Go for it. Be a typical cheap-ass Minnesota fan.

Was the stadium only used 7 days per year when it had maroon end zones? Will ticket prices and seat donations be going down now that the field will be painted?

The block M looks stiched in to me, is it not permanent? Or are people assuming?

Tell you what, Spoof. If you want Football to rule the U of M - if you want every decision to be made with Football always the #1 priority - then I have a simple solution.

WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN. Win something - a Divisional title - a Conference title - a major Bowl Game.

Sell out every game, and build up a waiting list for tickets - so people can't snatch up tickets on StubHub for a pittance the day before a game. Have people clamoring to buy season tickets - not dumping their tickets and whining about the cost.

Respect is not given - it's earned.

Actually SON, I am a very big soccer fan and have no issue with MLS playing at TCF. Kinda like the idea, actually. I also don't have an issue if someone doesn't like soccer.

My comment was simply that when anyone says anything negative about soccer, the soccer police come out in force to tell others what they "don't understand." Not as band as the band police (or drum competition police, I guess), but pretty bad. I won't even get into the bicyclist police as thank God that "sport" hasn't been challenged on GH recently.

Here we go again - the dumping ground for teams waiting on their stadiums. I don't want a damn soccer team in TCF - Give us our original turf back. This turf already looks like crap new.

Didn't you hear? The school has privately said the Men's soccer team will make TCF Bank stadium home in the near future.

The Big House has hosted one to two soccer games. I believe they have sold out again this year.

And Yankee Stadium was a "baseball stadium" when the first opened it April 18th, 1923. It hosted the first of many boxing matches on May 12th that same year! Since then it hosted multiple football games, boxing matches, concerts, visits by multiple Popes, a Billy Graham crusade, and oh the horror...a full season of New York Cosmos soccer. An I thought it was a baseball stadium!!

Face it, TCF Bank Stadium is not Augusta National Golf Course. It does not get shut down after season is over.

Never said it should be shut down or not have concerts. My point is it should be a football stadium first. Stich in the big M in the middle and make the End Zones the same as they were when the football team had the original turf. Then let others deal with it if they want to use TCF.

Why are you comparing TCF to Yankee Stadium anyway? Compare it to Camp Randall or Kinnick.

Didn't you hear? The school has privately said the Men's soccer team will make TCF Bank stadium home in the near future.

Thanks to Title IX there is no Men's soccer team...but least we still have Men's gymnastics to inspire the dozens of male gymnasts over 8 years old in the state.

Never said it should be shut down or not have concerts. My point is it should be a football stadium first. Stich in the big M in the middle and make the End Zones the same as they were when the football team had the original turf. Then let others deal with it if they want to use TCF.

Why are you comparing TCF to Yankee Stadium anyway? Compare it to Camp Randall or Kinnick.

Okay, I was at Kinnick with 60,000+ other fans watching a wrestling match this past fall. What is your point?

Okay, I was at Kinnick with 60,000+ other fans watching a wrestling match this past fall. What is your point?

One day - Seriously? Im talking about a season of soccer which does not allow us to have a normal football field.

Wait! I change my point - you sat with 60k Iowa fans watching wrestling..what the h@ll is wrong with you?????

One day - Seriously? Im talking about a season of soccer which does not allow us to have a normal football field.

Wait! I change my point - you sat with 60k Iowa fans watching wrestling..what the h@ll is wrong with you?????

I made the trip to watch the Gophs play that night, I'm sure you were there. I have been a Gopher wrestling season ticket holder for 16 years so decided to enjoy a wrestling match outdoors on a 65 degree day. Livin life, not just sitting on a keyboard being whining about use of a field.

Thanks to Title IX there is no Men's soccer team...but least we still have Men's gymnastics to inspire the dozens of male gymnasts over 8 years old in the state.

And to compete against the other six men's gymnastics teams in the United States.

I made the trip to watch the Gophs play that night, I'm sure you were there. I have been a Gopher wrestling season ticket holder for 16 years so decided to enjoy a wrestling match outdoors on a 65 degree day. Livin life, not just sitting on a keyboard being whining about use of a field.

Congrats on that Sunshine!

Somehow I knew this, like sooooo many other seemingly simple things before it, would get F'd up. Gone will be the maroon end zones, stitched block M, etc. etc. and we will have faded, smeared paint on rainy days all so the facility can more easily host other stuff, maybe. I'm sure other B1G stadiums will follow along with this very practical turf arrangement... NOT.

Everyone said there would be painted turf for the years the stadium was shared with the Vikings and then it would go right back to the way it was. Instead, it will now be WORSE with not even the yard marking lines being stitched in.

More small time "sensible" decision making. Yawn.

A deal breaker? No, of course not. I will survive and this isn't the biggest problem facing Gopher football, of course. I just see it as more evidence of the overall disease that has afflicted my favorite football program since the 1960's.

Of course, none of the other B1G football programs would ever do something as stupid as to paint their end zones for every game just to make the field usable for other activities. I mean just look at the Big House at Michigan:

MichStadium_Renovation1.jpg

Oh wait, the end zones are blank and no stitched M in the middle of the field!

Guys, please check your facts before you go making up stuff!!!!

Ask and you shall receive...

The Green Bay Packers have played 12 exhibition games at Camp Randall, which, up until 2013, had a larger seating capacity than the Packers' home stadium, Lambeau Field. The series began in 1986, shortly after the Chicago Bears began to use nearby University of Wisconsin-Platteville as a training camp site. The most recent pre-season Packers game at Camp Randall was in 1999.

The University of Wisconsin men's and women's ice hockey teams each played an outdoor hockey game at Camp Randall Stadium on February 6, 2010, as part of the Culver's Camp Randall Hockey Classic. The Wisconsin women defeated Bemidji State 6–1, while the Badger men beat Michigan 3–2.

Camp Randall has also hosted a number of major concerts, including: Pink Floyd (May 20, 1988, and July 3, 1994), Genesis (June 9, 1992), U2 (September 13, 1992, and June 25, 1997) & The Rolling Stones (August 26, 1994, and October 6, 1997)
Drum Corps International used the stadium as the site for its world championships in 1985, 1986, 1987, 1992, 1999, 2002, and 2006.

Of course, none of the other B1G football programs would ever do something as stupid as to paint their end zones for every game just to make the field usable for other activities. I mean just look at the Big House at Michigan:

View attachment 4189

Oh wait, the end zones are blank and no stitched M in the middle of the field!

Guys, please check your facts before you go making up stuff!!!!

Well done...well done.

The Big House has hosted one to two soccer games. I believe they have sold out again this year.

I'm not saying TCF shouldn't host other events. I'm just saying the field should return to the way it was 2009-2013, when it also hosted other events. Sheesh.

I'm referring to the decision to "vanilla" the TCF Bank Stadium playing surface. That isn't to be confused with the incorrect assumption that I am advocating no other events be held there.

Top Bottom