The new turf is in at Minnesota Stadium (aka The Bank)

I would say more like one game per season. I remember Brock Vereen saying how hard the ground was in a late home game against Wisconsin. We've had other games about as cold as that. There was snow ringing the field when we played Purdue in an October game during the stadium's first season. I don't think heating coils are a necessity, but they're definitely nice to have once or twice a season.

It sounds like we need an indoor stadium.

Honestly, looking at some of the pictures it kind of looked like they did remove them. When they put the Vikings turf on, when the turf was mostly installed you could clearly see the coils under the remaining portion. When they put this turf on you could not see them. Now, it could just be that the coils settled into the sand that is under the carpet and they aren't visible. Or they added sand on top, whatever.

I wouldn't be surprised either way. I know that there is maintenance and you do need to periodically run them just to keep the system in good shape and all that costs money. But how much money and whether it is enough to justify removing (which also costs money), that I'm not sure.

Frankly, it's kind of a non-issue. There's been one Gopher game I can think of where the heated field would have been a significant benefit (if I remember right Iowa in 2010. Though you could argue the frozen field evened the teams enough to allow the Gophers to win). And if there's ever a fluid leak under the field you'll never hear the end of it - the U will probably demolish the stadium and turn it into a park to appease the environmentalists. :)

Wait til a giant Condor flies in to a USBank stadium window and shatters one whole end of ZygiWorld, forcing the Vikings to finish out their year at TCF. No more Favre-like concussions on the frozen tundra. Gotta protect Teddy Milkwater.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Multi purpose turf - gotta hate it. They just couldn't do it right for the football team in the football stadium. Can't even stich in the M. Pathetic.

I want the turf back to the way it was originally.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

One season with Minnesota United and then the lines go back in Fall of 2017 at the end of the MLS season.

One season with Minnesota United and then the lines go back in Fall of 2017 at the end of the MLS season.

Here we go again - the dumping ground for teams waiting on their stadiums. I don't want a damn soccer team in TCF - Give us our original turf back. This turf already looks like crap new.

Here we go again - the dumping ground for teams waiting on their stadiums. I don't want a damn soccer team in TCF - Give us our original turf back. This turf already looks like crap new.

Well said.

I don't want a damn soccer team in TCF
You do realize TCF was designed to hold a soccer field exactly so it could hold events aside from football? It's not like a football game will be postponed to make room for a MN United game, I guarantee it has no impact on your life.

You do realize TCF was designed to hold a soccer field exactly so it could hold events aside from football? It's not like a football game will be postponed to make room for a MN United game, I guarantee it has no impact on your life.

But it's more fun to whine and complain and let things bother us over which we have NO control.

It kind of does have an impact. As a season ticket holder I get to sit in the stands and look at washed out soccer lines on a football field.

It kind of does have an impact. As a season ticket holder I get to sit in the stands and look at washed out soccer lines on a football field.

I guess that is probably much more important than any revenue that might be generated that could be used to benefit our athletic programs. With that logic, they shouldn't host concerts because you, as a season ticket holder, would be forced to look at trampled down turf!

I think you over estimate your power as a ticket holder!

I guess that is probably much more important than any revenue that might be generated that could be used to benefit our athletic programs. With that logic, they shouldn't host concerts because you, as a season ticket holder, would be forced to look at trampled down turf!
I hope they don't let anyone else sit in his seat during these other events, what if they spilled their coke and it discolored the concrete?

It was a football stadium when they first opened it. Guess they changed their minds. The almighty dollar!

I hope they don't let anyone else sit in his seat during these other events, what if they spilled their coke and it discolored the concrete?

I made sure to buy Beyonce tickets for my football seats just to make sure that didn't happen....

It was a football stadium when they first opened it. Guess they changed their minds. The almighty dollar!

And Yankee Stadium was a "baseball stadium" when the first opened it April 18th, 1923. It hosted the first of many boxing matches on May 12th that same year! Since then it hosted multiple football games, boxing matches, concerts, visits by multiple Popes, a Billy Graham crusade, and oh the horror...a full season of New York Cosmos soccer. An I thought it was a baseball stadium!!

Face it, TCF Bank Stadium is not Augusta National Golf Course. It does not get shut down after season is over.

And Yankee Stadium was a "baseball stadium" when the first opened it April 18th, 1923. It hosted the first of many boxing matches on May 12th that same year! Since then it hosted multiple football games, boxing matches, concerts, visits by multiple Popes, a Billy Graham crusade, and oh the horror...a full season of New York Cosmos soccer. An I thought it was a baseball stadium!!

Face it, TCF Bank Stadium is not Augusta National Golf Course. It does not get shut down after season is over.

I was with you until soccer.

Top Bottom