The Matchup With Iowa

Iowa sets up it offensive scores with short fields based on outstanding play and/or turnovers by its special teams and its ball-hawking defense. We simply don’t use special teams opportunistically; and it is too hard to start doing so in the 11th game of the seasons. Our defense is opportunistic sometimes; great if we could turn over Iowa’s weak offense a few times on Saturday. Also great if we find something that has been missing in recent Gopher games: some explosive plays!

Go Gophers.

Don't pass once. Just line up and run it down their throats.
I mean, it's not an entirely bad strategy. I'm not sure Iowa could win the game if literally Minnesota did not attempt one pass. Even if penalties or loss yardage running puts Gophers in 3rd and 9, just run it for a gain of 4 and punt.

Whatever team gets a lead on Saturday will have a huge advantage. Should be interesting.

Supposed to be a real feel of -1F at game time on Saturday. Tough to throw and catch in those temperatures no matter how well you are prepared for it. Also going to be like kicking a rock for special teams. This one will have to to be won in the trenches and no turnovers allowed.

I mean, it's not an entirely bad strategy. I'm not sure Iowa could win the game if literally Minnesota did not attempt one pass. Even if penalties or loss yardage running puts Gophers in 3rd and 9, just run it for a gain of 4 and punt.

Whatever team gets a lead on Saturday will have a huge advantage. Should be interesting.
Too funny, literally posted almost that exact same line in a reply to one of your posts in a different thread. Looks like we see this game very similarly.

Reserve the right to punt is a common phrase in regards to football. Our fans get antsy when Fleck goes with a conservative gameplan and doesn't sling it downfield, but that is absolutely the kind of gameplan I would employ against this Iowa team. If you have to punt and play the field position game fine, just don't make the risky plays that lead to defensive TDs or short fields. Have to make Iowa work for everything.

The one thing we have that Iowa doesn't is Mo Ibrahim. Every team knows he is going to get the ball and yet week after week he manages to pile up the yards.

That plays right into what they want.
Yeah, sorry but that is a recipe for disaster. Their defense would line up in 9 man box all day and smash us. So would most anyone with a pulse.

We have to be able to hit on play action. That simple.

Yeah, sorry but that is a recipe for disaster. Their defense would line up in 9 man box all day and smash us. So would most anyone with a pulse.

We have to be able to hit on play action. That simple.
Doesn't have to be play action but the short passing game has to be clicking to at least keep them honest. Don't need to take a lot of shots downfield or make a bunch of risky throws but need to keep the ball moving and avoid having to punt from deep in our own territory.

Team that makes the fewest mistakes will win this one.

Everyone keep saying we have to pass the football. They apparently forgot that Iowa’s secondary is rated #1 in the B1G. Last years defensive back of the year-first team All-American as well as another CB who getting all kinds of accolades for his performance against Whisky. They present a big, big problem for PJ and our OC. Hope our coaches are up to the challenge and not letting it run down their pant leg.

We’re not losing on Mo, JMS & Tanner’s senior day. I’ll bet the house on that.

With that in mind, I think Tanner starts if he can go and maybe we see both play then?
I would not bet anything on this game. Tanner will not start or play, bet on that instead.

Here's my thoughts on the game...

The weather is going to be the biggest factor in the game, it will be the coldest temperature most of these players will ever play in. Its hard to prepare for that and will make every hit hurt that much more. I believe this game will be determined within the first quarter as scoring will be hard to come by, hence I'm taking the under.

Second, I am praying that our playbook has been so vanilla because we don't want Iowa having film on us. There is 0% chance that our play calling last game will win against the Hawkeyes. We will have to throw the ball over 10 yards in order to win. That being said whoever our QB will have to play smart. Turnovers cannot happen.

To me there is no clear option for our QB, yes Athan can use his legs but I worry he will make freshman mistakes leading to turnovers, but Tanner might limit the playbook so its a tossup for me.

Defensively if we play how we've been playing it won't take much offensively to get a W. Our pass rush has been great the past 2 weeks and that shouldn't change with Iowa's O-Line. Jah Joyner will play a huge role in this game if he continues what he's doing.

Lastly, Fans NEED to show up. Make this environment Hostile. It will be embarrassing trying to watch this team win in a half empty stadium. Cause Iowa to make mistakes.

Name checks out

:clap:

The pass game will need to at least be present (and efficient) for MN to prevail. I look at the recent victories over Wisconsin as an example. Can playmakers make plays? Can the line and other blockers block?

Iowa sets up it offensive scores with short fields based on outstanding play and/or turnovers by its special teams and its ball-hawking defense. We simply don’t use special teams opportunistically; and it is too hard to start doing so in the 11th game of the seasons. Our defense is opportunistic sometimes; great if we could turn over Iowa’s weak offense a few times on Saturday. Also great if we find something that has been missing in recent Gopher games: some explosive plays!

Go Gophers.
Iowa's run defense is stout for sure. On the otherhand, I think Iowa has only scored 15 TD total on offense so far this year. Mo has 18 himself, Gophers offense have 39 total. Iowa's TOP s around 28 minutes. It will be interesting to see if KC comes up with some wrinkles for Iowa.

Name checks out

:clap:

The pass game will need to at least be present (and efficient) for MN to prevail. I look at the recent victories over Wisconsin as an example. Can playmakers make plays? Can the line and other blockers block?
Philly Special?

Iowa's run defense is stout for sure. On the otherhand, I think Iowa has only scored 15 TD total on offense so far this year. Mo has 18 himself, Gophers offense have 39 total. Iowa's TOP s around 28 minutes. It will be interesting to see if KC comes up with some wrinkles for Iowa.
Yeah, both offenses leave a lot to be desired but our offense has shown an ability to grind it out by moving the ball and controlling the clock. Their offense has been a dumpster fire all year with the possible exception of their game against Purdue.

Our offense has to pick their spots and execution will be key. Protect the ball, control TOP and field position. Win ugly. Fleck has no problem with that kind of game.

We need to win te field possession game and not turn it over to give them short fields. If we make Iowa offense put together legit drives, eventually their defense will break and will win. Turn it over and play poorly on special teams like Wisconsin did and all Iowa will need is a 120 yards of offense

Really random question, anyone know what side of the field each team will be on? I want to know where Floyd will be sitting so I can be close by when we go across the field and take it from them.
I mean, you should be able to tell during the game...;)

Which Gopher QB and receivers can best throw, catch and take a snap in 15 degree weather?

I agree, and as I said in an earlier post, we need to find a way to throw for about 150 yards in this game to keep the Iowa defense a little more honest.

It’s probably a little late to make some drastic offensive scheme changes, but I’d like to see some sets with both Mo and Evans/Potts on the field. If the wind and cold limit the ability to pass, getting multiple weapons on the field will be vital.
I'd add Williams because of his speed. I won't be surprised to see all four backs at some point by design.

You want the guy with the stronger arm when the wind is blowing. Temperature wise shouldn’t matter taking a snap from the shotgun. From our WR standpoint, I think they’ve all had painful drops this year
Which Gopher QB and receivers can best throw, catch and take a snap in 15 degree weather?

Too funny, literally posted almost that exact same line in a reply to one of your posts in a different thread. Looks like we see this game very similarly.

Reserve the right to punt is a common phrase in regards to football. Our fans get antsy when Fleck goes with a conservative gameplan and doesn't sling it downfield, but that is absolutely the kind of gameplan I would employ against this Iowa team. If you have to punt and play the field position game fine, just don't make the risky plays that lead to defensive TDs or short fields. Have to make Iowa work for everything.

The one thing we have that Iowa doesn't is Mo Ibrahim. Every team knows he is going to get the ball and yet week after week he manages to pile up the yards.
I would agree on Ibrahim. We Iowa fans like Kaleb Johnson, he went for 200 against Purdue but not in the same realm as Ibrahim at this point in his career. The Iowa OL has so far not proven to be able to block against a good defense.

Doesn't have to be play action but the short passing game has to be clicking to at least keep them honest. Don't need to take a lot of shots downfield or make a bunch of risky throws but need to keep the ball moving and avoid having to punt from deep in our own territory.

Team that makes the fewest mistakes will win this one.

Team that scores the most points will win.

Run the ball.
Run the QB
Don’t fumble

Pass the ball on safe passes (shots can be safe)
Don’t throw pucks.
Incompletions are fine.
Punting is fine

Make field goals when given the chance.
Make Iowa’s offense beat you.

I think we will see a bunch of designed QB run this week

All good comments in this thread. Here are my thoughts, many of which have already been discussed. Running will be tough sledding for both sides. We will not be able to slam it into the line against them over and over. And Iowa shouldn't be able to gain much against our D either. I expect both offenses to struggle with the passing game too. Justin Jefferson is not going to suddenly show up in a Gopher or Hawkeye uniform, so it just is what it is. That means a lot of three and outs and a game of field position. And that translates to a game that will be won on special teams and turnovers. The punters could be the most important guys to watch on Saturday. And the FG kickers will be huge as well. Of course, a big play by either offense (could be by blind luck) will make things tough for the other side. A defensive score could do that too. One final thing that might be a factor. If AK is playing QB for us, will be pull the ball from Mo maybe 3-4 more times than normal and get to the outside. This could really help to loosen things up for Mo inside. No matter what it is going to be interesting to see how it all unfolds. Keys? 1) win the turnover battle, 2) kick the ball well, 3) do not give up any sort of big play for a TD. If we do those things then I like our chances.

Wrinkles - you mean like a 3 yard.slant instead of the usual 4 yard slant?

I believe MBS was wearing a hoodie in September so…not him.

In sub zero windchill have to think anyone with normal hands will maybe be approaching 50:50 and the default 50:50 guys, well, it probably won’t be great. With this receiver and TE corps pray for miracles.

Top Bottom