The Best Pizza Joint in Every Power 5 Conference Town (Minnesota: Mesa Pizza, Dinkytown)

This reaction to a guy giving pizza reviews? The indoctrination is strong in this one.
Indoctrination? I know nothing about the guy other than these videos from when he was in town. Can't stand the guy.

Tried Mesa once while in town.

It's not good. Not bad but not good. They have some non-traditional options. That's about it. Papa John's is better, and Paps John's is very mediocre.

Also, the original Savoy Inn (on E 7th St at the entrance to the Lafayette Bridge) has been closed for at least 2 years.
Ate there or ordered to-go probably once a month. New DT StP location is in TI Center.

Tried Mesa once while in town.

It's not good. Not bad but not good. They have some non-traditional options. That's about it. Papa John's is better, and Paps John's is very mediocre.
Shakey's was better than Papa John's. Cossetta's (NY Slice I know, far from TCF) Punch, Blaze(Neopolitan, and Neopolitan), Pizza Lola, Red's Savoys, Carbone's, Black Sheep...

Also, the original Savoy Inn (on E 7th St at the entrance to the Lafayette Bridge) has been closed for at least 2 years.
:( St. Paul institution... That is when they weren't closed due to someone crashing into the building.:mad:

If I remember correctly, Mesa was started by someone who was a part of Ian's Pizza in Madison. However, having had both, Ian's is much better.

If I remember correctly, Mesa was started by someone who was a part of Ian's Pizza in Madison. However, having had both, Ian's is much better.
No wonder Mesa is so bad. Figures it has origins in Madison.

Did Surly pizza reopen? I think they were closed for covid.

In Dinkeytown and I’d have to go with Frank and Andrea’s at 13th and 4th.

NY style sweet sauce, whereas Mesa just has their Gimmick Pizza.

Since Campus closed, there doesn't really seem to be many pizza places. Pizza by the slice places, but not many where they bring it to you piping hot & it's your job to dish it on to your plate. Davanni's on Riverside is probably the closest.

Shakey's was better than Papa John's. Cossetta's (NY Slice I know, far from TCF) Punch, Blaze(Neopolitan, and Neopolitan), Pizza Lola, Red's Savoys, Carbone's, Black Sheep...
Shakeys name is a blast from the past. Used to go to the Columbia Heights one as a kid.

When I was in Bloomington, IN -- Mother Bear's was the BEST pizza!!!! Make sure you try some if you get out there!

You can hit Matt's Bar, stop at Fat Lorenzo's, and then hit up the 5-8 club. All are on Cedar/ 77.
First went to both Matt's and the 5-8 as a youngster with my parents, who grew up in Mpls, on trips to the Cities for back to school shopping at the DT Dayton's. Great growing up memories.

Shakeys name is a blast from the past. Used to go to the Columbia Heights one as a kid.

I grew up in the sticks, so sadly I never got to eat at Shakey's. I loved their commercials though, and whenever I hear Dixieland banjo I think of them. Mom grew tired of us begging her to drive all the way down to the Cities just so we could go to Shakey’s…Well, that and Apache Plaza. We always wanted to go to the Apache Plaza. Their commercials were seductive as well.

I grew up in the sticks, so sadly I never got to eat at Shakey's. I loved their commercials though, and whenever I hear Dixieland banjo I think of them. Mom grew tired of us begging her to drive all the way down to the Cities just so we could go to Shakey’s…Well, that and Apache Plaza. We always wanted to go to the Apache Plaza. Their commercials were seductive as well.
Also went to Apache Plaza MANY times. Was there an hour before the tornado hit!

The Menards in St. Paul (Midway area) has a piano that self plays or can be played by someone. Anyway, Often when I see it, I am reminded of the self playing piano that some Shakey's had.

Top Bottom