The Barn no longer an intimidating place for opponents

Wow, wow, wow. They lose to the two best teams in the Big Ten at home with a roster of primarily freshman, sophomores, and a couple juniors and the Barn is now a cakewalk for teams. We'll see how that shakes out when Illinois, Indiana, Northwestern, Michigan and Wisconsin come through. I'm not saying we'll run the table against those teams but we might, and I think 4-1 is very realistic.

I suspect we'll become a more dominant home team next year and if we can maintain the ability to win ugly on the road, we'll be in very good shape.

For whoever said our seniors last year were bad and worthless, you're an idiot. They were our leading scorers. They also provided on-court leadership, which I think is something that is evidently missing from this year's team. They played hard and helped us win 20 games and that's something you have to appreciate and respect.

I agree that the barn will be intimidating when the team is intimidating and I believe we are getting close to being an intimidating team. All we are missing is that F&#% YOU! type player who can create and make his own shot and isn't afraid to take it to the other team. We had that in Vincent Grier in our last run to the NCAA. Before that you had Bobby Jackson. You put a player like that on this team and we are intimidating. You have a player like that on this team who could have made a big shot in the 2nd half and the barn would have gotten really loud.

i am a member of the student section, and i have to say that the barn got pretty loud during our runs when we were actually in it. i am always at the gates 2 hrs or more before the game, and i dont leave untill the band is done playing Minnesota March. dont think many of you can say that.

the "lets go GOPHERS" chants at this game where the loudest ive heard them in a long time.

im not one of the students who jumped on the GOPHER bandwagon since we 16-1. ive always been a crazy fan, good or bad season. and ive traveled to other arenas to watch us play, we have one of the loudest, craziest students sections around. we could use some help from you other season ticket holders or fair weather fans that are attending the game.

GO GOPHERS!!! SKI-U-MAH!

Say what you want, but Tubby is 7-6 in conference games at the Barn and 3 of those losses were by double digits, and a 4th was the beatdown by Purdue the other night.

Here are the Gopher's home record in conference play as of late....

2008-2009: 2-2
2007-2008: 5-4
2006-2007: 2-6
2005-2006: 4-4
2004-2005: 6-2

Over the past 4+ seasons they're 19-18 at home vs. B10 opponents, with several blowouts. To me, that does not make the Barn a tough place to play. Was it back in the day?? Sure. You could also blame this on the quality of the team but whose fault is that? It's not Illinois fault the Gophers haven't beat them in this millenium.

Please, until the Gophers win some important games at home, let's stop talking about how intimidating the Barn is. You're simply delusional. It's not 1997 anymore....

really wouldnt call losing by 8 a blow out or a beat down, especially considering we shot 27%

The best thing that somebody said in this post is that when the team becomes more intimidating the Barn will become more intimidating. The team was intimidating against Illinois and the Barn then become intimidating. People playing Duke are intimidated by Cameron, because Duke is playing there. The team makes the building, whether it be by talent or attitude. The Gophers are on their way back to claiming it, and regardless of how many times you put the record of some terrible Monson teams in a post to dispute the intimidation of the Barn, those where some terrible teams. The Barn is intimidating when the team on the floor is intimidating and causes the crowd to get into the game.

Art, still waiting for your thoughts...

Originally Posted by From the Barn
Buried deep in the AP artcile about the Illinois game: Weber said he thought his team was a little intimidated. Hm.

Top Bottom