The Barn no longer an intimidating place for opponents

Sorry we lost to the two best teams in the Big Ten at home. The Barn wasn't intimidating a couple years ago. However, tell PSU and tOSU that the barn isn't an intimidating place to play.

Who cares about PSU and OSU. They're irrelevant in the B10 title chase. Last year, they lost to MSU, IU, Becky, and Illinois at home. Already this year they've lost to MSU and Purdue. That's 6 losses in 13 games. Hmmm...real intimidating. You must win games like tonight to be taken seriously.....

The Barn experience is nothing like it was during the Haskin years. It might take a while to come back. Mmaybe if they added more video board races between slow-moving trains, the good times would come sooner.

Hey Toolshed, Go milk your goat Ioweee Squaks scum. 16-3 is great, I didnt expect that before the season, after losing 3 seniors who were our top players. We have a young team, and great recruits continuing to come in.

So hate on you lame pathetic lil girl, we will be going deep into the tournament for many years.

Tell me what those three seniors accomplished, except perhaps key roles on the worst Gopher team in history, provided NO leadership, and just were at times selfish players.

Tell me what those three seniors accomplished, except perhaps key roles on the worst Gopher team in history, provided NO leadership, and just were at times selfish players.

Worst ever, uh no. We had a 20 win season last year. They were the team, we had nothing when they left except damian johnson and al nolen. Thankfully Tubby's first recruiting class has stepped up and contributed alot, but this team has a bright future, so chill out. Im expecting 7-8 losses.

I'm going to get ripped for this...

Unless your High Point, Georgia Southern, or Bowling Green, the Barn is no longer a tough venue for an opponent to win. How many games have they lost at home the past 5-6 years?? Heck, even Tubby can't beat anyone of significance at home. I wonder if it will put an end to all the cliches on BTN or ESPN about the Barn being "a hostile environment". Tubby needs a contract with Under Armour "WE MUST PROTECT THIS HOUSE!!!"

But I see Art's point about the barn not being as tough of a place to play at, and agree with it. When I was in school, you could almost feel the Barn shake, it was so loud, you couldn't hear the person next to you. My first game was one of the most amazing experiences and I got hooked, as a Gopher basketball fan for life (from one game).

The team is drawing big crowds not, the place looked packed, but it was not as loud as I thought 14K people should be. I'm not sure what to attibute it too - too many corporate seats, too many new fans (bandwagoners that may not really have the love for the Gophs), I have no idea - but there is no way we had a home court atmosphere that we should.

I have read many posts, and someone always bring up the comment - well, the crowd couldn't get into it at this game. We're either up, or down by too much, or it was the style of play, etc - that did not matter before. It would be rocking game in and game out.

Do I think it can get back to where it was? Absolutely. With fired up fans, The Barn should (and was) one of the top 5 toughest arenas to play at. I look forward to getting back to that.

I was at the game and by no means was the barn hostle before or during any point of the game. I am a strong believer in the fact that in order to have one of those buildings we need to suck it up and take some of those "cushy" seats away and have a more involved bigger student section. They are the only ones that make it a tough place to play. Not some old farts that only enjoy spelling out M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A. Look at Cameron indoor. The student body takes up the whole length of the court and are continously in the opponents ear. Purdue seemed like they actually enjoyed it. I could hear coach Painter all the way at my end yelling the whole game. That shouldn't hapen.

The gophers are building an excellent program. I'm sure art was not at the game. Any shift in momentum would have carried the team but it never happened. This team has had some great unexpected wins and now are performing about where we thought they would. Losses always bring out the malcontents.

I noticed that the crowd was very quiet in the first half, but I wasn't surprised. Why? We were stuck on 3 points for like the first 5 minutes of the game...and we had 3 turnovers within the first minute. Purdue got a comfortable lead early and the crowd did respond when the Gophers actually cut the lead to 6 or less on occasion.

If the crowd is watching a poor performance, do you expect cheering? I don't know anywhere that happens. As for where is a "tough place to play" the places that have the most talent and the coaches who complain the most to the officials.

Arena's don't win games. Superior teams win games. If you can show me an arena that has a better than .500 record (and not a team that has a better than .500 record in an arena) then I will agree with you. Program building takes time and we're still in the process. At this point the casual fan is just excited to be having the level of success we are having. Over time expectations are raised and the crowd becomes a bigger part of the game. I remember getting goose bumps prior to big Big Ten games when I was in college during the Clem Haskins era. There was an electicity in the barn that is hard to explain but there was a buzz about the crowd because even though Indiana was coming to the barn we expected a good game and we expected to win. I firmly believe it will come back but that was two years after a final four appearance so the program was clearly coming from a different place than where we are today.

One of the reasons Purdue won the game going away was that they were able to take the crowd out of it early. It's a little hard to build any excitement when you only score 2 or more baskets in a row about 3 times. That is what happened with the Duke game for us. When Purdue ran out on the court you literally couldn't hear yourself think the place was so loud, any way Duke only allowed us to score multiple baskets in row about 3 times also and the place was pretty dead. So in conclusion if the Gophers would have got the crowd into it early it would have been a completely different games.

I am SHOCKED that I logged on to find a thread posted by Art. I was even more surprised to read that it wasn't a rational dissertation about the state of the program and the potential of this young club.

Just more of his lame Gopher bashing. Maybe you can head over to the Bucky site and post more racist shit about the "thugs" on the Gopher basketball team with your buddy Myles. That'd be more your speed, d!ck.

Arena's don't win games. Superior teams win games. If you can show me an arena that has a better than .500 record (and not a team that has a better than .500 record in an arena) then I will agree with you. Program building takes time and we're still in the process. At this point the casual fan is just excited to be having the level of success we are having. Over time expectations are raised and the crowd becomes a bigger part of the game. I remember getting goose bumps prior to big Big Ten games when I was in college during the Clem Haskins era. There was an electicity in the barn that is hard to explain but there was a buzz about the crowd because even though Indiana was coming to the barn we expected a good game and we expected to win. I firmly believe it will come back but that was two years after a final four appearance so the program was clearly coming from a different place than where we are today.

The thing is last night, despite the somewhat tough time of 6pm for people, there was that buzz. You could feel it in the concourse like you talk about back in the Clem days. People were in their seats a bit earlier. The student section was basically packed by 5:30. Even in the beginning before the crowd got worn down by its own team, people around us were yelling at random times and getting into it other than clapping for a made shot.

Bottom line is last night I felt that some of the classic buzz was there and the arena was truly ready for bedlam, but the actions on the court never gave us a chance to truly shake. We barely made 2 shots in a row, Purdue hit a momentum blunting shots in the 2nd, and we never were able to cut it to 3.

The Barn is returning. We would have felt it last night, but as has been stated there were few opportunities to "shake".

I am SHOCKED that I logged on to find a thread posted by Art. I was even more surprised to read that it wasn't a rational dissertation about the state of the program and the potential of this young club.

Just more of his lame Gopher bashing. Maybe you can head over to the Bucky site and post more racist shit about the "thugs" on the Gopher basketball team with your buddy Myles. That'd be more your speed, d!ck.

Huh? Racist stuff on the Badger board? WTF are you talking about? I don't even know what the Badger's website is - much less post over there. I hate the Sconny Cheesdick's.

GoGo, go take another shot of the kool-aid that you've been drinking since you joined this board....

The Barn will become intimidating when the team becomes intimidating. You don't turn things around overnight people. To turn it around to the point it has is quite impressive. But to think that suddenly we're gonna become this dominant team that beats EVERYBODY at home is just unrealistic. Give it a couple years and the Barn will become an intimidating place to play cause the team will be intimidating.

One minor correction, Art. We played Georgia State, not Georgia Southern. Though I do wish it had been Georgia Southern. ... at least their RPI (154) would be helping us quite a bit more than Georgia State's (279).;)

Let me say this about Art V: It is a quote from the movie SECOND HAND LIONS: Michael Caine said to Robert Duvall, about the young boy that came to live with the two eccentric uncles: "Gotta say this about the boy, he sure knows how to p*ss off the relatives." That is all Art V accomplishes.

Erased records or not, the Gophers used to win most all of their games at the barn.
From 1991 to 1997 (5 seasons) they only lost 9 games at the barn (less than two a year). This included the final four season with zero losses but also includes seasons in which the Gophers won many games at home despite not being a highly ranked team at the time.

The atmosphere is coming back but it is not there yet. When I was younger, the team regularly upset better teams (although Clem seemed to have a hell of a time on the road) and the fans were up on their feet at least twice a game and for an extended amount of time (I remember jumping up and down to see on a regular basis when I was younger and shorter).

Now, the dumb corporate time-out interruptions cut in to the excitement that often leads into a time out. I recall roaring crowds into time outs in the past. Many times the crowds promptly returned to a roar coming out of a time out (which has not happened for awhile).

The biggest difference though is that the current crowd is waiting for the team to bring them to a roar whereas the old crowds used to make a ton of noise in hopes that the team would respond with enthusiasm. I'll also add that Clem was a very animated coach and was very good at working up the crowd with technical fouls and by tossing his suit jacket (that was entertaining).

I think it is a very tough place to play

I live in the Twin Cities but am a fan of Wisconsin. I attend the UW-Gopher game every year and sometimes attend one or two other games at the Barn. Last year, at the UW game at the Barn, I was lucky enough to get to sit close to the Badgers' bench. The noise from the band and the student section was overwhelming and I remember thinking that UW would be very lucky to come out with a win.

As someone who sat through Dan Monson's last game against Clemson, sat through their NIT game against Hawaii a few years back, saw a few games thee in the 80s, I can definitely say, from my perspective as a Badger fan and Big Ten college basketball fan, the Barn is a very tough place to play. It got its mojo back last year. Anyone who says otherwise is just wrong.

Delusional

I live in the Twin Cities but am a fan of Wisconsin. I attend the UW-Gopher game every year and sometimes attend one or two other games at the Barn. Last year, at the UW game at the Barn, I was lucky enough to get to sit close to the Badgers' bench. The noise from the band and the student section was overwhelming and I remember thinking that UW would be very lucky to come out with a win.

As someone who sat through Dan Monson's last game against Clemson, sat through their NIT game against Hawaii a few years back, saw a few games thee in the 80s, I can definitely say, from my perspective as a Badger fan and Big Ten college basketball fan, the Barn is a very tough place to play. It got its mojo back last year. Anyone who says otherwise is just wrong.

Say what you want, but Tubby is 7-6 in conference games at the Barn and 3 of those losses were by double digits, and a 4th was the beatdown by Purdue the other night.

Here are the Gopher's home record in conference play as of late....

2008-2009: 2-2
2007-2008: 5-4
2006-2007: 2-6
2005-2006: 4-4
2004-2005: 6-2

Over the past 4+ seasons they're 19-18 at home vs. B10 opponents, with several blowouts. To me, that does not make the Barn a tough place to play. Was it back in the day?? Sure. You could also blame this on the quality of the team but whose fault is that? It's not Illinois fault the Gophers haven't beat them in this millenium.

Please, until the Gophers win some important games at home, let's stop talking about how intimidating the Barn is. You're simply delusional. It's not 1997 anymore....

So Art because you are so smart and all-knowing why don't you inform all the delusional people around you on how to make the Barn a tougher place to play. I'm serious Art tell us. We want to know because I'm sure those at the game would like to contribute on making it tougher place to play. And saying "Be louder" doesn't cut it, every arena could be louder. Say something intellegent for once. You know what after you tell us what you know then email Tubby and Joel because I'm sure they would love to have the Barn be a tougher place to play.

Otherwise if you don't know how to make the Barn a tougher place to play(which I think is the case) shut up about it. Right now you are making yourself look like a complete @$$.

So Art because you are so smart and all-knowing why don't you inform all the delusional people around you on how to make the Barn a tougher place to play. I'm serious Art tell us. We want to know because I'm sure those at the game would like to contribute on making it tougher place to play. And saying "Be louder" doesn't cut it, every arena could be louder. Say something intellegent for once. You know what after you tell us what you know then email Tubby and Joel because I'm sure they would love to have the Barn be a tougher place to play.

Otherwise if you don't know how to make the Barn a tougher place to play(which I think is the case) shut up about it. Right now you are making yourself look like a complete @$$.

Simple. Win a big game for once.

How am I looking like an a$$? What part of 19-18 (barely .500) over the past 4+ seasons don't you understand? I'm not saying I know how to make it "tougher", it's just a simple fact.

Why is this such a hard concept to grasp? The Barn isn't what it used to be. The statistics back it up. It is what it is....

Right now you are making yourself look like a complete @$$.

That's the status quo for Art. He's been doing this for years. When the Gophers are winning he's nowhere to be found. He comes back when they lose, and bombards the board with anything and everything anti-Gopher until they get another win. Rinse, repeat.

He's a pathetic Badger fan getting his kicks trolling a rival's fan board. He's the definition of "tool".

That's the status quo for Art. He's been doing this for years. When the Gophers are winning he's nowhere to be found. He comes back when they lose, and bombards the board with anything and everything anti-Gopher until they get another win. Rinse, repeat. He's a pathetic Badger fan getting his kicks trolling a rival's fan board. He's the definition of "tool".

Let's put GoGo's clams to the test.

How many posts did Art make after the win in Madison?

One, and only one. (go ahead and check for yourself)

Wanna see it?

Art Vandelay
01-16-2009, 08:27 PM
"Wow, one victory in Madison over Bo Ryan's "worst" team in his tenure and all of a sudden he's a horrible coach. I think a fan of a program that hasn't won an official NCAA Tournament game in over a decade should just take what they can get and move on."

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?p=20143#post20143

Art you didn't answer my question. Just winning a big game will not simple return the Barn to is status as one of the toughest places to play in the nation. Which it is.

As for what the stats say you chose one of the leanest times in program history, changing coaches mid season, right after a major NCAA violation. To get a better picture you will need to back farther. 37 games is not a big enough sample size to get an accurate picture when basketball has been played there for over 80 years.

Let's put GoGo's clams to the test.

How many posts did Art make after the win in Madison?

One, and only one. (go ahead and check for yourself)

Wanna see it?

Art Vandelay
01-16-2009, 08:27 PM
"Wow, one victory in Madison over Bo Ryan's "worst" team in his tenure and all of a sudden he's a horrible coach. I think a fan of a program that hasn't won an official NCAA Tournament game in over a decade should just take what they can get and move on."

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?p=20143#post20143

Ha, what a hater. Its quite amusing

Dear Art,

"Gotta say this about the you: You sure know how to p*ss off people." That is about all Art V accomplishes. Ignore him, Gopher fans. Easier for everyone that way.

Say what you want, but Tubby is 7-6 in conference games at the Barn and 3 of those losses were by double digits, and a 4th was the beatdown by Purdue the other night.

Here are the Gopher's home record in conference play as of late....

2008-2009: 2-2
2007-2008: 5-4
2006-2007: 2-6
2005-2006: 4-4
2004-2005: 6-2

Over the past 4+ seasons they're 19-18 at home vs. B10 opponents, with several blowouts. To me, that does not make the Barn a tough place to play. Was it back in the day?? Sure. You could also blame this on the quality of the team but whose fault is that? It's not Illinois fault the Gophers haven't beat them in this millenium.

Please, until the Gophers win some important games at home, let's stop talking about how intimidating the Barn is. You're simply delusional. It's not 1997 anymore....

I find it funny that you call a Wisconsin fan delusional for saying that Williams Arena is a tough place to play. A fan from a rival school has every incentive to agree with you and downplay the difficulty of playing in an opponents arena so calling him delusional is honestly making me laugh hysterically.

Southfew--Thanks for your input. Despite what Art said, it is appreciated. I've been to Buckyville from time to time and I recognize that you are a good poster on your own team site.

Top Bottom