*-S—Antoine Winfield, Jr., Pro Bowl, Super Bowl champion

S—Tyrone Carter, 11 seasons, 9 interceptions

K—Chip Lohmiller, Pro Bowl, NFL’s 78th all-time scorer

KR—Rick Upchurch, 1970s NFL all-decade team

ST—Marcus Sherels, 110 career tackles

LS—Derek Rackley, 8 seasons with Atlanta, Seattle

*-Still active

Go Gophers!!

The fact Mike Hohensee is the only Gopher QB to win an NFL game stings a little!
No kidding. Had a backup or 2 I think, but in the original article it also mentioned Dungy and I think Sandy Stephens, not on this list. They were in the Russel Wilson, Donovan McNabb mold. But they played in an era where the black QB wasn't something people were ready for. They would have been very good (according to the article), but sadly left off the list. The NFL told them to play DB or WR or something like that (I can't remember exactly). Dungy changed to DB, and Stephens said F you and played in Canada.

The weird thing is he didn't return punts much for the Gophers.
Minnesota just has such superior athletes that they can switch positions at the drop of a hat. Especially in a lower league like the NFL......

Last edited:

Minnesota just has such superior athletes that they can switch positions at the drop of hat. Especially in a lower league like the NFL......
Bryant Allen was returning punts Sherels senior season after Sherels was solid the year before.

Getting off topic, didn't Bryant Allen play on the basketball team too and then transferred to Illinois St before getting kicked off the team?

Bryant Allen was returning punts Sherels senior season after Sherels was solid the year before.

Getting off topic, didn't Bryant Allen play on the basketball team too and then transferred to Illinois St before getting kicked off the team?
Interesting. I didn't follow that close back then. I'm sorry, but I would be the last guy to know about Bryant and transferring/getting booted. I remember the name and that's about it. Times have changed since the Gophers were just the team I cheered for, and now when I try to know as much as humanly possible about each player.

No Karl Mecklenburg? 79 total sacks, 1,118 tackles for the Denver Broncos. 6x pro bowler, inducted in to Broncos Ring of Fame.

No Karl Mecklenburg? 79 total sacks, 1,118 tackles for the Denver Broncos. 6x pro bowler, inducted in to Broncos Ring of Fame.

He's there, at MLB

Even though he was an OLB, they had to put him somewhere.

No kidding. Had a backup or 2 I think, but in the original article it also mentioned Dungy and I think Sandy Stephens, not on this list. They were in the Russel Wilson, Donovan McNabb mold. But they played in an era where the black QB wasn't something people were ready for. They would have been very good (according to the article), but sadly left off the list. The NFL told them to play DB or WR or something like that (I can't remember exactly). Dungy changed to DB, and Stephens said F you and played in Canada.
Neither Dungy nor Stephens was an average passing QB, even in college. Stephens had a pretty poor Canadian career.

Still loved them both, but neither would have cut it as a pro style QB.

Neither Dungy nor Stephens was an average passing QB, even in college. Stephens had a pretty poor Canadian career.

Still loved them both, but neither would have cut it as a pro style QB.
Terrific, but I was just replying with what the article said. "Both would have been quarterbacks in today’s NFL." I have no idea. Maybe "very good" was wrong by me. I don't know.

Point being about lack of QB's Minnesota put in the league. And the article talks a little about it. Not advocating anything.

https://www.si.com/nfl/talkoffame/nfl/the-all-time-university-of-minnesota-nfl-team

The rest look good but the OL needs quite a bit of rethinking. Fahnhorst was definitely overlooked. At the other tackle, John Williams started for the Super Bowl champion Colts in 1970 and had a 12-year career. Greg Larson started 153 games at center for N.Y. Giants from 61-73.

He's there, at MLB

Even though he was an OLB, they had to put him somewhere.
Karl Mecklenburg was also an NFL Hall of Fame semi-finalist for 8 consecutive years. Was involved in that concussion lawsuit against the NFL - sad to say that Karl has had cognitive issues over the years, not sure how he is doing now. Have some friends who are Broncos fans, Mecklenberg ranks way up there as an all-time favorite.

What an awesome idea for an SI article. I created the post 3 years ago. Maybe I should've gotten paid for it at SI instead of posting my amazing intellectual property for free on GH!

This was mine from 2019:

Here’s my University Minnesota all-time NFL team:

Offense:
QB None, only one QB has ever thrown an NFL TD. Amazingly, the all-time Gopher NFL team doesn't have a QB
RB Bronco Nagurski, Hall of Fame
RB Marion Barber III, 1 Pro Bowl
WR Rick Upchurch, 3-time All-Pro, 4 Pro Bowls
WR Eric Decker, 8 seasons, 3 seasons 1,000+ receiving yards, 53 TDs
TE Charlie Sanders, Hall of Fame
OT Keith Fahnhorst, 14 seasons, 2-time Super Bowl champ, 2-time All-Pro
OT Matt Herkenhoff, 10 seasons
G Gale Gillingham, 2-time Super Bowl champ, 2-time All-Pro, 5 Pro Bowls
G Greg Larson, 12 seasons, 1 Pro Bowl
C Brian Williams, 9 seasons, Super Bowl champ

Defense:
DE Carl Eller, Hall of Fame