STrib: With all-white leadership, Gophers athletic department under fresh scrutiny to improve diversity; Coyle has hired 11 white head coaches

There are tons of NBA assistants that could step right in. There are College assistants and HC’s. It’s digging deep and finding the best candidates, not just the 10 the media pushes.
Tons? Of NBA assistants? OK, name them - qualified for the MN job. Resumes, please....

I think we are short changing Gates qualification by focusing on his 2 years as a head coach instead of looking at how many years he put in as an assistant. Gates has 15 years experience as an assistant 2 as a GA & 2 as the head man in charge. Dutcher only has 4 years head coaching experience and he will be 62 when next season starts. Gates is 41 and a rising HC. I think he is qualified for the job has experience coaching in the Midwest, South, and West Coast. Recruiting won't be an issue and if he puts the right staff together he will have success here
Rising as defined how?

Anthony Grant is one.

Said from the beginning this would be my first call. Actually has to do what I believe are his coaching abilities and not his skin color.
Hard pass.

Couldn't get it done at Alabama. Oats seems to be doing well....

This is a disgusting and racist way to decide on a coach. I would be happy to have Gates or some other coach of color, if he gives us the best chance to win from among those who are willing to come here.

Our society will be a whole lot better off when we stop looking at color of skin both as an eliminator (which we really already have done) and a qualifier (which we are currently addicted to in order to be PC). Hire the most competent, highest character coach that you can regardless of color. If having a black coach is an advantage in recruiting, and I think it is, then that is a fair metric to add to the criteria. But doing it to check a box is the road to hell.

Hire a guy who can win against tough odds. Period. That guy is going to have to be able to turn this ship in a couple years or all the same suspects as before will turn on him.

Whoever we hire, I plan to be all in on supporting.
Yup.

I don’t disagree that his skin color can be looked at as a positive. It’s no different than us wanting a MN local or U of MN alum, cause he understands MN living. Gates growing up in a metro area will be helpful in selling a campus located in an urban setting as well.

I hate the article because it took the focus off Gates being a good coach and more on him being hired to fill a quota. He deserves better and deserves a shot to win the job fairly on merit. Sadly with articles like this, it will wreck his hiring with many. The larger issue isn’t the U’s hiring anyways. The issue is the development system we have for our young black coaches. That’s what needs to be fixed and written about imo.

Interesting article about the lack of black HCs -

Here are the first couple of paragraphs -

PITTSBURGH (AP) — Jeff Capel carries a measure of gratitude with him every time he paces the sideline at Petersen Events Center.

As he enters his second season as Pitt’s basketball coach, he thinks of his late father who went from a volunteer JV high school coach to head coach of an NCAA tournament team in fewer than 20 years. He thinks of John Thompson and Nolan Richardson, national-championship-winning coaches who doubled as aspirational figures. He thinks of all the other black coaches who never reached those same heights, but whose achievements helped make his story possible.

“I’m here because of my dad and because of the guys I just mentioned, because of their shoulders and because of the things they did to open up the door,” Capel said.

Good points. Unfortunately, there are time and money issues here and that always limits the number of candidates who can be interviewed and considered.

How much can we spend and whom could we hire for that sum - that's your starting point for your candidate pool - I'm sure Coyle knows which coaches would meet those criteria.

Our society will be a whole lot better off when we stop looking at color of skin both as an eliminator (which we really already have done) and a qualifier (which we are currently addicted to in order to be PC).

You do realize this argument is just a game of three card monte right?

(1) People of color make up 60% of the people getting scholarships to play basketball? We should really look into why those scholarships are not distributed in an equitable fashion. I have been told equity should be a goal, I find it to be egregious that is so out of line with the general population.

(2) It's logically dishonest. If you used this same criteria in ANY other job, you'd be arguing against people of color. It actually hurts the cause. What does this do for other minorities? Women? Asian? There should really be zero of these folks? Until the NBA is ~3% female, Becky Hammon should not get a coaching job.

(3) This hurts people like Dennis Gates. He should be a candidate regardless of this stuff but this is a cut to his credentials. If I am told that one of his selling points is his ethnicity, then his resume stinks. People will use language like "if everything is equal" to try to lie and act like they want the choice to be merit based. It's pretend. Things are never "equal", someone is always a better fit and I don't believe that should be based on things like race, gender, sexuality, etc.
BRAVO!!!

Good points. Unfortunately, there are time and money issues here and that always limits the number of candidates who can be interviewed and considered.
Rubbish.

Time and resources are available in plenty. IF you want to hire the BEST candidate.....

Martin Luther King was fighting to increase opportunities for Minorities and someone pointing out hiring practices would be something king would definitely stand for
I'm not sure we can question an obvious scholar of MLK work
Is the U the only team interested?
Us and the media linking him with most jobs expected to be available

Qualified persons need apply.......
Why did you ask for me to name black assistants and post their resumes but you couldn't do the same for white assistants. No one on this board will name the qualified coaches because it isn't or job.

You don't know the definition of equity. I stopped reading at that point.
Equity- per the dictionary- "the quality of being fair and impartial". Equity per the woke crowd- let's hire a coach according to the color of skin. Preference: Black.

Fair an impartial means that we take the best qualified regardless of color. This article and many here are asking for the best qualified if black. That's stupid.

Why did you ask for me to name black assistants and post their resumes but you couldn't do the same for white assistants. No one on this board will name the qualified coaches because it isn't or job.
I didnt say black assistants - I said assistants, period. QUALIFIED for the job.

I'm tired of the same excuses.

Minorities can't get assistant coaching jobs for whatever reason. Very disproportionate.
"There's no systemic racism, they just aren't interested in being an assistant coach I guess".

Minority coach finally gets a job after butting his head against the system.
Finally gets a head coaching job at age 39 or 40.
Coaches 2 years and turns around horrible program.

White people: "But he doesn't have as much experience as my white coaches. These two guys from Minnesota are far more experienced, and they REALLY want the job. We can't be sure this other guy REALLY wants the job and they've been coaching longer!!!."

Then it appears minority coach might get hired. White people on twitter "If Gates is hired, I'm pulling my support from the program as a booster! He's not qualified". (Putting systemic racism back in motion).

You seriously don't think there are NBA assistants qualified for the U of M job
I seriously dont know. How many have recruiting experience? How many WANT to go from the NBA to college?

Or, ---- what are YOUR qualifications for the MN BB job?

I seriously dont know. How many have recruiting experience? How many WANT to go from the NBA to college?

Or, ---- what are YOUR qualifications for the MN BB job?
I just want a coach with a clear system offensively that will help players develop because they understand what the coach wants from them and what reads they should be making within their structure. If he has great assistants who can recruit and teach defense then that's the right man for the job. When I say recruit, I mean recruit players who can fit within his structure and who can develop long term. It doesn't have to be a Minnesota guy or a traditional guy. The U isn't a job where the traditional guy always works. We need a high-energy guy that can develop 2 & 3 stars until we can consistently get 4 star guys.

NBA assistants with Minnesota ties? Hmm,

Sam Cassell
Bobby Jackson
Sam Mitchell - not an assistant mind you but a former HC
JB Bickerstaff - like he's giving up his current gig.

That's just off the top of my head and I don't spend any time looking at who's coaching in the NBA.

Why does this thread make me feel like we are going to make the wrong hire and are in for another 8 years of pain?

Why does this thread make me feel like we are going to make the wrong hire and are in for another 8 years of pain?
Do not despair. All this is simply white noise. Think of it like Christmas. You need only wait for the B1G Day and hope that ornate package has in it what you were wishing for.

Top Bottom