STrib: With all-white leadership, Gophers athletic department under fresh scrutiny to improve diversity; Coyle has hired 11 white head coaches

Genuinely curious. Does hiring women coaches and administrators (even if white) no longer count as diversity hiring? Or, how about if a coach or administrator is gay (but white)?
I don’t know the answer, but the issue is that over 60% of athletes are of color and that’s not translating to coaches at any level (16%).
Anytime people say the coach never played at pro or college level, this is part of this issue. Hopefully Juwan Howard opens tons of doors for new coaching candidates.

I gave my answer to your question about women. If that answer isn't good enough for you, that's not my problem.

Ok. I don't really care about only your opinion quite honestly. I wasn't specifically asking you, you self-centered ego maniac with all the answers. Believe it or not, I am interested in other opinions, as well.

I'm glad women have the ballgame won. We no longer have to worry about fighting for women rights and equality in the workplace at the U, according to you. We've apparently done enough. Maybe the newspaper can do a feature on that? That is huge news.

Last edited:

Why in the name of God would I spend any effort researching black coaches to satisfy you? What have you done to motivate that sense of duty?

I know that in a sport where black players dominate, there are plenty of black coaches out there and more than one of them would merit a look. The people who prioritize diversity hiring believe in elevating them when you have the opportunity.

Now get lost! You have a lot of nerve (and ridiculous overconfidence I would add) in asking me to do anything.
So you cant.

Thought as much.

Ok. I don't really care about only your opinion quite honestly. I wasn't specifically asking you, you self-centered ego maniac with all the answers. Believe it or not, I am interested in other opinions, as well.

I'm glad women have the ballgame won. We no longer have to worry about fighting for women rights and equality in the workplace at the U, according to you. Maybe the newspaper can do a feature on that? That is huge news.
Perfectly stated.

Name them.
There are tons of NBA assistants that could step right in. There are College assistants and HC’s. It’s digging deep and finding the best candidates, not just the 10 the media pushes.

Strib doesn't have much leg to stand on

They have a staff of about 40 sportswriters. By my count, two or three are people of color. If I miscounted, please someone correct me.

I'm sure when they hire the new football beat writer as spring football approaches, they will hire a person of color. They better.

I'm waiting for the article on themselves.

Interestingly, they hired a female to cover Wild hockey and promoted it as a diversity hire. Yet, nothing on Coyle hiring of women in more than half of his hires is even mentioned in this article.

Look, I think there can be an honest discussion here and certainly improvements can be and should be made in hiring. But, I also think the article was fairly slanted, with a bit of an agenda. Eliminating or not mentioning the entirety of Coyle's female hires in an article talking about diversity, is irresponsible at best, biased at worst.

There was no candidate better for MN than Fleck period. Coyle did hire Dino Babers as the head football coach at Syracuse as well. I get the point the article is making, but you still need to hire the best person. What we strongly need to look at is how/why we are not setting up POC coaches to get hired as HCs at the lower/mid major level. We need to stop having POC coaches getting viewed as only a "recruiter" for staffs. Most high major coaching jobs hire from a lower level conference below. We need to find ways for coaches to trickle up (which is not happening)

I don't think 2 years of HC experience makes him as equally qualified for the job as Smith (10 years as a HC) or Dutcher (Over 30 years total and 4 years as a HC). You hire Gates if you think he has the highest ceiling (that may be true). His turnaround at Cleveland State was remarkable, but it's not fair to dismiss the other guys work for 2 excellent years. I'm glad Gates and Shrewsberry will get interviews. If they win the interview process, then they deserve the job.
Why aren’t Smith and Dutcher already at P6 programs? Gates is most likely the Fleck hire for MN, but we will have to beat out others for his services.

This is putting unfair pressure on the U to hire someone. Just hire Gates then, I have a feeling he's going to be a good coach and wouldn't be surprised if he beat us coaching at Penn State. Dissapointed in the Star Tribune
Yeah, I feel the same way about this. If Coyle does his due diligence and ultimately ends up deciding that Gates is the right coach to lead Minnesota basketball, then he's hired the best candidate he can find and has done so for the right reasons. But because of this type of BS from the Strib it would make hiring Gates look like a token brought on to meet a quota, no matter his qualifications, which would be incredibly unfair to him. The unintended consequences of stirring the pot.

Ok. I don't really care about only your opinion quite honestly. I wasn't specifically asking you, you self-centered ego maniac with all the answers.

If you weren't asking me then why did you address my comment in the post? Look, I'm not interested in debating the merits of the "diversity gap" issue. I'm just revealing what I know about the perceived importance of this issue from meetings, internal and external publications, etc. As far as female hires, I gave you my explanation of why that has somewhat lower importance at present. That's the best I have and I'm not willing to devote my time to a protracted argument about this; if that makes me an ego maniac, I'll live with that.

But because of this type of BS from the Strib it would make hiring Gates look like a token brought on to meet a quota, no matter his qualifications, which would be incredibly unfair to him. The unintended consequences of stirring the pot.
Don't blame the newspaper; it's just the messenger.

This is a disgusting and racist way to decide on a coach. I would be happy to have Gates or some other coach of color, if he gives us the best chance to win from among those who are willing to come here.

Our society will be a whole lot better off when we stop looking at color of skin both as an eliminator (which we really already have done) and a qualifier (which we are currently addicted to in order to be PC). Hire the most competent, highest character coach that you can regardless of color. If having a black coach is an advantage in recruiting, and I think it is, then that is a fair metric to add to the criteria. But doing it to check a box is the road to hell.

Hire a guy who can win against tough odds. Period. That guy is going to have to be able to turn this ship in a couple years or all the same suspects as before will turn on him.

Whoever we hire, I plan to be all in on supporting.

If you weren't asking me then why did you address my comment in the post? Look, I'm not interested in debating the merits of the "diversity gap" issue. I'm just revealing what I know about the perceived importance of this issue from meetings, internal and external publications, etc. As far as female hires, I gave you my explanation of why that has somewhat lower importance at present. That's the best I have and I'm not willing to devote my time to a protracted argument about this; if that makes me an ego maniac, I'll live with that.

It was a follow-up to the general question I asked of anyone, which you chose to answer. If you don't like how I responded, that's not my problem.

Again, I'm glad the U has solved the issues of equality with women in the workplace, according to you. What an amazing accomplishment. I'll await the newspapers' story on this huge news.

If you look at the head coaches Coyle has hired, the only two sports where there are a good number of black candidates are women's basketball and football. And in both cases, it's hard to argue that Coyle could have hired a minority candidate who was a better fit for Minnesota than Whalen and Fleck. Obviously Whalen has struggled some, but for our program, at the time she was hired it was a no-brainer. I don't know of many POC candidates for men's hockey, and I have no idea either way on softball.
Why was Whalen a no brainer? I could argue that was a terrible hire. You hire someone for a major division 1 program who has never coached a program a day in their life? Not even high school? I’m willing to guess there were multiple more qualified candidates who are black, or of color. Imagine Coyle hiring a coach for the men’s program with zero coaching experience. I’m sure the vast majority on here would love it.

Last edited:

In fairness, it's a factual news report about the situation at the U, not an editorial position. But yes, they could sure be less boomery and waspy.

But, it omitted facts related to diverse hiring, which are relevant. That's why the story is irresponsible at best, biased at worst. It was written almost as if it were an editorial.

That's not to say the U can't improve. It does have to improve, without a doubt.

Don't blame the newspaper; it's just the messenger.
Hmm, A1, above-the-fold placement with an attention-getting font size makes it pretty clear to me that they're sending a message to advance an agenda. That emphasis doesn't happen by accident.

per Megan:

The University of Minnesota has gone 14 years without hiring a person of color as a head coach and remains the only Big Ten institution without a single person of color in the role of president, athletic director or head coach.

With men's basketball coach Richard Pitino's tenure likely nearing an end, the Gophers' lack of diverse leadership is drawing renewed scrutiny. Even before the speculation about Pitino's future, Big Ten Commissioner Kevin Warren had noticed how the university's president, Joan Gabel, athletic director Mark Coyle and all 19 head coaches are white.

"They're aware," Warren said of Gabel's and Coyle's recognition of Minnesota's diversity gap. "I trust them. And I trust that they will always be focused on doing the right thing."

In the midst of renewed calls for racial equality after George Floyd's death under the knee of a Minneapolis police officer in May, the Gophers have fallen behind their peers in diversity hiring.

Since Coyle came to the Gophers in 2016, he has made 11 head coaching hires, including for revenue-generating teams football and men's hockey as well as programs such as wrestling, softball and women's basketball. All are white. The Gophers haven't hired a person of color at head coach since Tubby Smith in men's basketball in 2007.

"I would argue that we've done many things that are visible to the outside world," Coyle said. "If you look at our football program and putting 'End Racism' on our football jerseys for the Purdue game, highly visible, national audience."

Go Gophers!!
I could care less if the staff is white, black, purple, Hispanic, Latino, Native American. They're all people and American citizens that have worked hard to get to where they are. Hire the best people. Don't play into the race/diversity card. I want us to hire the best head coach available.

I wouldn't think the BC job would be appealing but Gates getting to live and work in the same city as his wife and children might make it an easy choice:

Wh
There was no candidate better for MN than Fleck period. Coyle did hire Dino Babers as the head football coach at Syracuse as well. I get the point the article is making, but you still need to hire the best person. What we strongly need to look at is how/why we are not setting up POC coaches to get hired as HCs at the lower/mid major level. We need to stop having POC coaches getting viewed as only a "recruiter" for staffs. Most high major coaching jobs hire from a lower level conference below. We need to find ways for coaches to trickle up (which is not happening)

I don't think 2 years of HC experience makes him as equally qualified for the job as Smith (10 years as a HC) or Dutcher (Over 30 years total and 4 years as a HC). You hire Gates if you think he has the highest ceiling (that may be true). His turnaround at Cleveland State was remarkable, but it's not fair to dismiss the other guys work for 2 excellent years. I'm glad Gates and Shrewsberry will get interviews. If they win the interview process, then they deserve the job.
What’s your take on the Lindsey Whalen hire? I questioned the hire at the time, and now I question it even more. She should of never been hired.

Why was Whalen a no brainer? I could argue that was a terrible hire. You hire someone for a major division 1 program who has never coached a program a day in their lives? Not even high school? I’m willing to guess there were multiple more qualified candidates who are black, or of color. Imagine Coyle hiring a coach for the men’s program with zero coaching experience. I’m sure the vast majority on here would love it.
Exactly! As of now LW has not been a home run by any stretch!

Outside of Gates and maybe Anthony Grant who are other good candidates even? Sorry I don't want Sam Mitchell and JB Bickerstaff is comfortable where he's at.

I would suppose it depends on your criteria, but I would say that no, he does not. He only has two years of HC experience. All the other names on the list have much more experience than that.

Flip the script and see if it holds up. We'll use Craig Smith as an example to flip with Gates, as he has pretty good qualifications. A black guy has 10 years HC experience, is from MN, and so he (theoretically) has connections he can draw on during recruiting. He was HC at three schools, won at all of them, and has a career winning percentage of .678. The other candidate is a non-local white guy, who was a long time assistant. Known for his recruiting prowess, but only has 2 years of HC experience, where he has a .517 winning percentage. In this case, do you think people would be losing their marbles if the black guy got passed over?

Gates may interview and gel well with Coyle. He may be the best person for the job- that's for Coyle to decide. But to claim he has similar qualifications is not accurate. Oh, but he has years as an assistant that should count. Well, in that case, Dutcher has him handily beat.

The problem Coyle/The U has in instances like this is that you look at the list of names, and there just aren't that many black candidates that would qualify as a good hire. Go back to the hiring of Pitino- I think all Gopher fans were all-in on Shaka. He was easily the most intriguing/qualified candidate out there. It didn't particularly matter that he was black, as he was the best coach available. It's just too bad we had an incompetent person doing the hiring at that time.

I'm guessing racial equity is as big of a deal everywhere in the county as it is here, so a guy like Gates, who seems to be the most intriguing black candidate out there, could find himself in a very enviable position. He can use that leverage to get exactly the spot he wants at the money he wants. More power to him. The question then, is if the U wants him, but he's snatched up by BC first, do you have to "reach" for another black candidate to prove you're devoted to diversity?
I’m seriously interested on what people think of the Lindsey Whalen hire? By the argument I see a lot of people making on this board, it was, and should be considered a terrible hire.

The way we do affirmative action in my organization is that, if two candidates are within a few evaluation "points" of each other, the minority candidate should normally be selected--or justify why not. The last offer I made was to a minority candidate, but he was also the best candidate by far.

In this case, I absolutely love Gates as a candidate, but he objectively doesn't have the length of HC experience as the other purported candidates. Whether you put that aside and hire him anyway shouldn't be a function of skin color but instead the strategic consideration of whether to risk committing to a second-year head coach.

The most important thing is that you conducted a fair and affirmative-action process and at the same time are fair to your fans and the institution.
I think we are short changing Gates qualification by focusing on his 2 years as a head coach instead of looking at how many years he put in as an assistant. Gates has 15 years experience as an assistant 2 as a GA & 2 as the head man in charge. Dutcher only has 4 years head coaching experience and he will be 62 when next season starts. Gates is 41 and a rising HC. I think he is qualified for the job has experience coaching in the Midwest, South, and West Coast. Recruiting won't be an issue and if he puts the right staff together he will have success here

Why aren’t Smith and Dutcher already at P6 programs? Gates is most likely the Fleck hire for MN, but we will have to beat out others for his services.
Last year the hiring cycle was very dry. Smith has followed the path of many/most high major coaches. If he wants a P6 job he’ll get offers. Dutch has made it pretty well known with his buyout he isn’t leaving SDSU unless it’s for the U apparently. I like Gates a lot. He’s good and learned from Hamilton and Tom Crean. He’s got some Midwest roots and coaches in a town with other pro teams. That being said, it’s not as safe as Dutch or Smith. The question will be if you think his ceiling is higher?

Top Bottom