STrib: Will Richard Pitino hire a new Gophers basketball assistant with local ties?

Tubby's inbounds plays were wayyyyy more painful than Pitinos

A lot of folks don't understand that most inbounds plays now set up an action and do not end up in layups under the basket. I think the new assistant will be recruiting and hopefully defensive focused.

A lot of folks don't understand that most inbounds plays now set up an action and do not end up in layups under the basket. I think the new assistant will be recruiting and hopefully defensive focused.
Yes, I am all about man-to-man, if only to make Raftery happy.

And I really like to recruit Maine

any idea where Pitino is on this new hire, who are some of the candidates?

Thats why he gets paid the big bucks. Be patient. His MN recruiting and in-bound plays will all come together by year 12. He'll probably have bought a bigger house in Edina by that point.
I'm not a Pitino basher, but even I have to laugh at this. Well done! Lol

Marcus chimes in:

Q: Can [Pitino] hire a great local recruiter? – Mike 55112 (@Mikewins55)

A: To say it has been difficult for the Gophers to sign local recruits recently would be an understatement. Potentially not landing Walton would mean zero Minnesotans in three of Pitino's last four recruiting classes (2017, 2019, 2020). But I don’t know if hiring a great local recruiter is a priority for him or not with the open assistant position. He said recently that patience is needed with that decision to find a coach with the pandemic not allowing him to meet with anyone in person. The right fit beyond just the recruiting aspect is important to him.

Go Gophers!!

Can Wolfson, or anybody, get through some sort of potential gopher news without trying to push the 'one of us' angle.

I get that some of the media guys will push names they know and the names they know are the local ones, but maybe do some research. Reach out to a national level reporter who may have the skinny on potential assistant coaches that could be in play - not one that make sense in dot connecting fashion because of location. It's sad

Can Wolfson, or anybody, get through some sort of potential gopher news without trying to push the 'one of us' angle.

I get that some of the media guys will push names they know and the names they know are the local ones, but maybe do some research. Reach out to a national level reporter who may have the skinny on potential assistant coaches that could be in play - not one that make sense in dot connecting fashion because of location. It's sad
Right he didn't even indicate if this guy is a finalist for the job or anything just that he would make sense what's the point of even reporting that

One of the best basketball minds you will find. Loved his discipline. Will sit and chat whenever he has time. Watching him run a practice was teaching art.
:ROFLMAO: No offense to you but this actually made me laugh.

We have reached the threshold of quarantine boredom if this is actually a topic. I am sorry, but I could care less who an assistant is on this staff with local ties. Theres no discussions like this in the Football threads because the product on the field is there.

If we win, we will get the talent.

:ROFLMAO: No offense to you but this actually made me laugh.

We have reached the threshold of quarantine boredom if this is actually a topic. I am sorry, but I could care less who an assistant is on this staff with local ties. Theres no discussions like this in the Football threads because the product on the field is there.

If we win, we will get the talent.
Agree, could care less where they come from. Was only sharing my opinion on Dave.

Thats why he gets paid the big bucks. Be patient. His MN recruiting and in-bound plays will all come together by year 12. He'll probably have bought a bigger house in Edina by that point.
And there is more than enough Pitino supporters on this board that would have no problem giving him 12 years to figure out.

It’s the price you pay for hiring a young inexperience coach with no track record of success. We all just got be patient for 10-15 years for it all to come together. It’s all going to be worth it.

And there is more than enough Pitino supporters on this board that would have no problem giving him 12 years to figure out.

It’s the price you pay for hiring a young inexperience coach with no track record of success. We all just got be patient for 10-15 years for it all to come together. It’s all going to be worth it.

But our luck we will can him and he will be uber successful somewhere else

per Marcus' Q&A:

Q: Timetable on when a new assistant coach will be named? – TJ (@TerranceJamesII)

A: Sounds like early next week could possibly be when Pitino hires the third assistant on his staff to replace Rob Jeter, who was named the Western Illinois head coach. Hiring someone on his staff with local ties would not be a surprising move.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom