STrib: Will Richard Pitino hire a new Gophers basketball assistant with local ties?

Musselman and his wife do not want to live here. He has it going on really well there. Plus, the U is not going to be doing expensive buyouts in what will be a extraordinary difficult financial period.

Musselman and his wife do not want to live here. He has it going on really well there. Plus, the U is not going to be doing expensive buyouts in what will be a extraordinary difficult financial period.
I have heard differently, as far as would they come. It is a bad time for buyouts but Musselman's goes way down next year, I believe.

I have heard differently, as far as would they come. It is a bad time for buyouts but Musselman's goes way down next year, I believe.
She is from the south and always wanted to get back to the south. They made this clear to reps of jobs that were open.

Drops from 5 million to 1.5 in 13 months. You think we would pay the 1.5 with all the financial chaos there will be ? Even if we were willing i will bet anyone that he is not coming here.

Thorson would not turn down an assistant coach offer at the U, regardless of who is coach. I'm sure he is loyal to Niko but the money and prestige of a B1G offer, plus the roots aspect of it I'm sure would mean he would ditch Medved's staff to join the U, if the opportunity presented itself.

How do you know that he hasn’t passed up it already a couple times before?

Ive heard the same thing as well. Families and wives matter more than the average fan thinks when taking jobs

Drops from 5 million to 1.5 in 13 months. You think we would pay the 1.5 with all the financial chaos there will be ? Even if we were willing i will bet anyone that he is not coming here.

Pkus you have to add Pitino's on top of any coach's buyout you'd be hiring as well.

Happy wife, happy life!

I'm curious to learn more about the financials behind schools because I've heard Athletic Departments are separate than other budgets at the school.

I'm really not knowledgable about this but I'd like to see some numbers and projections from Athletic Departments, specifically ours, to see what exactly we're talking about.

For this next year I want Pitino. If he fails to make the tournament, I want Musselman.

With a 20% national unemployment rate, university and state budgets hemorrhaging, and massive reductions in upcoming ticket revenue, its going to be someone on the cheap if Pitino leaves.

If we're letting 1.5 million scare us away, we're not making a big-time hire.

If we're letting 1.5 million scare us away, we're not making a big-time hire.
And the 3.5 to pay someone like that just to get him interested. We are staying with the coach we have.

Well, UST will still have some strong advantages over some of the teams in the Summit. Several of them are public schools, in rural or smaller city locations. Denver and Oral Roberts are the obvious exceptions to both of those. Also UM Kansas City and UN Omaha are in larger metros. (Fort Wayne is leaving, to be replaced by KC)

Mpls will become the largest metro in the footprint. But I don't expect the league's headquarters or bball tourny to move away from Sioux Falls.
There may be some, but I'm more referring to some of the reasons that UST wasn't a fit for D3/MIAC. ie more amenable to previous credits for transfer students/more majors available/better scholarship opportunities/etc. I'm not sure how much the footprint part matters to a mid-major program

There may be some, but I'm more referring to some of the reasons that UST wasn't a fit for D3/MIAC. ie more amenable to previous credits for transfer students/more majors available/better scholarship opportunities/etc. I'm not sure how much the footprint part matters to a mid-major program
Big jump. May take them a while to get their sea legs under them.

Tauer would be safe for minimum 7 years there that would put Thorson in his 60’s. Hardly on their radar at this point.
7 years? UST applied for the waiver to move up by 2021, and will likely get it thanks to what some would call a coordinated move to get out of the MIAC and move up to D1. Don't see how Tauer gets free reign for five years after that. He might not even get to be the coach in their first year in D1. Again, it's a different world. When making a multi-level jump there is no guarantee he keeps his job.

With a 20% national unemployment rate, university and state budgets hemorrhaging, and massive reductions in upcoming ticket revenue, its going to be someone on the cheap if Pitino leaves.
And for this year, its probably going to be a cheap assistant coach. Maybe I will apply.

7 years? UST applied for the waiver to move up by 2021, and will likely get it thanks to what some would call a coordinated move to get out of the MIAC and move up to D1. Don't see how Tauer gets free reign for five years after that. He might not even get to be the coach in their first year in D1. Again, it's a different world. When making a multi-level jump there is no guarantee he keeps his job.

Ok great take. Might not get the job when they go D-1? Great info.

This might be a dumb statement, but how about ken novak jr. or damian johnson. Novak is probably not looking to go anywhere. Not sure about damian if he would be a good fit or not. Just throwing it out there to get opinions.

And for this year, its probably going to be a cheap assistant coach. Maybe I will apply.
If I were Richard, I'd take 300k out of my own pocket to add to whatever the U budgets and get the best combo of a recruiter and defensive coach that is out there. Gotta win, now.

If I were Richard, I'd take 300k out of my own pocket to add to whatever the U budgets and get the best combo of a recruiter and defensive coach that is out there. Gotta win, now.
You think his wife would let him do that?

My annual donations could probably afford your salary. Maybe we can get an SBA loan to cover it for a while.

Richard's wife would presumptuously prefer this then him lowering his salary to pay for me

That is basically what Kill did for the football team. He took most of his raise and insisted that they give it to his assistants. That raised the salary range for them and he knew that he would get it back the next year when they evaluated his salary versus other B1G coaches.

That is basically what Kill did for the football team. He took most of his raise and insisted that they give it to his assistants. That raised the salary range for them and he knew that he would get it back the next year when they evaluated his salary versus other B1G coaches.

Fleck just did it too, but you have to be a position of power at the bargaining table. I think we are going to need to strike gold a little and hire an assistant in the lower levels.

The "Hold the ball for 4 seconds and then fling it in panic" play hasn't worked well so far.

Thats why he gets paid the big bucks. Be patient. His MN recruiting and in-bound plays will all come together by year 12. He'll probably have bought a bigger house in Edina by that point.

Top Bottom