STrib: Potential starting lineup for the Gophers men's basketball team in 2020-21

There is no way Mitchell play Wing minutes next year. None of his video shows anything of a player with a Wing Skillset. Maybe after a few years

Seems like Pitno landed the kid by selling him on perimeter play. Lets see how hard Pitino tries to keep his word

Seems like Pitno landed the kid by selling him on perimeter play. Lets see how hard Pitino tries to keep his word

Depending on the offense that is implemented he could be defending the post but playing the perimeter on offense, I don't know what the plans are but spreading the floor offensively might be in the cards.

I think Pitino sells players on the opportunity to be versatile. I think it is more based on if you show the ability to play there, then we will give you that chance. I would guess that Mitchell starts out being a 4 and moves further out on the court only as he shows he is able. Going way back to Clem years, a kid like Willie Burton started out playing down low and didn't become more of an inside/outside player until he was a junior.

So as opposed to saying to a kid like Mitchell- we see you as a 5- it becomes more of a situation where they say, we will develop you to fit your strengths and if that is more on the perimeter, you will have that chance. In the end, you play where ever you show you can help the team and most kids want the playing time more than anything.

I think Pitino sells players on the opportunity to be versatile. I think it is more based on if you show the ability to play there, then we will give you that chance. I would guess that Mitchell starts out being a 4 and moves further out on the court only as he shows he is able. Going way back to Clem years, a kid like Willie Burton started out playing down low and didn't become more of an inside/outside player until he was a junior.

So as opposed to saying to a kid like Mitchell- we see you as a 5- it becomes more of a situation where they say, we will develop you to fit your strengths and if that is more on the perimeter, you will have that chance. In the end, you play where ever you show you can help the team and most kids want the playing time more than anything.
I understand that but even his highlights you dont see him doing dribble moves or really knockin it down from 3. He looks more like a stretch 5 with athleticism. Ralph Sampson also thought he was a wing and would play on the perimeter. Pitino may move to more of a 5 out offense one day but it is tough for me to envision him as a 3. At least Ihnen Highlights he handle the ball a bit

So you cite his ~ 6 minutes a game and the put Freeman and Curry ahead of him in playing time? One guy played less than that ~6 minutes and theres no proof the other guy will ever play again. Not to mention another one that might have to sit a season out.

Yes. Take a look at Omersa and Ihnen's game logs starting January 30th. There is an inverse correlation between Ihnen's development and Omersa's minutes. The only time Omersa got on the court more than 11 minutes was the NW game when Ihnen sat. If he was going to be a big part of our team next year, why did his role decrease as the season progressed?

Even Demir's minutes were waning at the end of the season. He was only seeing 18 mpg those last 5 games. Brandon Johnson is certainly going to command more minutes than that (he played 31 mpg at WMU and looks like he will be a better fit than Demir).

Curry's injury was October 7th. His ACL tear this time wasn't as bad as his previous knee injury. He's losing some weight to less the chance of re-injury. He should be back this summer. He is more versatile than Omersa and played ahead of him last year. Even if he can't come back, wasn't that the scenario this year in February and March when Omersa couldn't get on the floor?

Freeman didn't play this year because he was a raw freshman and Oturu was a stud and stayed healthy. He has had a year to develop and I think he will be the backup at center. I fully expect Robbins to get his waiver next year, whether it is the family one he has applied for or the NCAA grants a one time exception. Even if Robbins doesn't get the waiver, are you saying that Omersa would play a lot at the 5? I don't think Pitino could afford to play Freeman and Omersa at the same time because of their offensive limitations.

The scenarios where I see Omersa being a big part of our team next year are if Robbins doesn't get his waiver, or we have an injury to Brandon Johnson/Ihnen. I'll ask again -- where do you see Omersa fitting in?

You can play from the perimeter offensively as a PF just like Ihnen did last year. I'd bet a lot of money that is the type of role Pitino was trying to sell him on. Positions are largely about who you can guard and I don't think Mitchell is going to be chasing much smaller players around the perimeter on defense. He will play more minutes at the 5 than he does at the 3.

IMO

G-Marcus Carr
G-Gabe Kalscheur
F-Tre Williams
F-Brandon Johnson
C- Liam Robbins

The only one that I was up in the air about is if you start Ihnen at the 3.
I think Ihnen starts over Williams. He certainly showed more the last 10-15 games. Williams seemed to hit a freshman wall. I could see Mashburn starting, but it seems like having him come off the bench and back up both guard spots makes more sense. We need to get Carr's minutes down to 32 instead of 37 so he's not ready to drop dead at the end of every game.

I think Ihnen starts over Williams. He certainly showed more the last 10-15 games. Williams seemed to hit a freshman wall. I could see Mashburn starting, but it seems like having him come off the bench and back up both guard spots makes more sense. We need to get Carr's minutes down to 32 instead of 37 so he's not ready to drop dead at the end of every game.
Yes I agree with carr minutes. I think mashburn can handle the point if greenlee doesnt make a big jump.

I'd guess something like this:

PG - Carr (34), Mashburn (6)
SG - Mashburn (24), Gabe (10), Williams (6)
SF - Gabe (20), Ihnen (10), Williams (10)
PF - Johnson (28), Ihnen (10), Omersa (2)
C - Robbins (28), Curry (10), Omersa (2)

Obviously Mitchell, Greenlee, and Freeman will see minutes here and there (unless Pitino decides to redshirt any of them), but I don't see any minutes for them in a typical game. Mitchell is the one I'm least confident in projecting since I haven't see him play yet. Maybe he will be ahead of Omersa and take his minutes.

Obviously Mitchell, Greenlee, and Freeman will see minutes here and there (unless Pitino decides to redshirt any of them), but I don't see any minutes for them in a typical game. Mitchell is the one I'm least confident in projecting since I haven't see him play yet. Maybe he will be ahead of Omersa and take his minutes.
Where does our last scholarship go? And i think mashburn comes off the bench for 18-20 minutes a game not starting for 30. The ten minutes probably go to Williams Gabe and Ihnen. I also find it very interesting that we are still on Haarms list showing Pitino may want another Center on roster for next year wven though we have a lot of forwards already. I’d love to see a team score or get a rebound against Carr/Ihnen/Johnson/Haarms/Robbins plus spacing wouldn’t be messed up on offense as they can all shoot

Reactions: ltf

I think Greenlee gets some minutes. not many.. but gets better minutes than last year.

Carr
Ihnen/Williams
Gabe
Johnson
Robbins

1. Carr (Mashburn, Greenlee)
2. Gabe (Williams, Mashburn)
3. Ihnen (Williams, Omersa, Mitchell)
4. Johnson (Curry, Omersa, Mitchell, Ihnen)
5. Robbins (Curry, Freeman, Mitchell)

Jarvis will still be an important part of the rotation next year. You know exactly what you are getting from JO and I think he'll improve again.Would be nice to add KW to this rotation.

1. Carr (Mashburn, Greenlee)
2. Gabe (Williams, Mashburn)
3. Ihnen (Williams, Omersa, Mitchell)
4. Johnson (Curry, Omersa, Mitchell, Ihnen)
5. Robbins (Curry, Freeman, Mitchell)

Jarvis will still be an important part of the rotation next year. You know exactly what you are getting from JO and I think he'll improve again.Would be nice to add KW to this rotation.

I like Omersa's energy and think he will get 5ish minutes per game as a spark. I'd bet money he doesn't play a second at the 3 though.

I don't think we will see much of Gabe at the 3, imo. Tre and ihnen are better rebounders, which I expect a 3 to average 4 to 7 rpg.

Do you really think mashburn will get 30 minutes a game? I have no idea how good he is. I didnt expect him to be 30 minutes for a freshman. I did see ryan james report on him on 247 that changed my perspective on how good he was. Ryan's report got me pretty excited.

Last edited:

If Carr returns as anticipated and Robbins is granted immediate eligibility...this will be a very nice team!

I don't think we will see much of Gabe at the 3, imo. Tre and ihnen are better rebounders, which I expect a 3 to average 4 to 7 rpg.

Do you really think mashburn will get 30 minutes a game? I have no idea how good he is. I didnt expect him to be 30 minutes for a freshman. I did see ryan james report on him on 247 that changed my perspective on how good he was. Ryan's report got me pretty excited.

Who knows, I just have a good feeling about Mashburn. Willis averaged 30 minutes per game last year and I think Mashburn will be a little better than him. I think he could contend for the all freshman team.

I love Ihnen and could see him starting too. I just think Pitino prefers multiple ball handlers, which is why I predict Mashburn will start. We would sacrifice rebounding some, but would be quicker and have more playmakers.

For the gophs, and most teams in college basketball, the 2 and the 3 are the same damn position.

Yeah, I agree for the most part, but saying someone starts at the 3 instead of the 2 implies they will probably be defending someone a little bit bigger. If you said Mashburn was the starting 3, that would imply that he will be defending guys who could be around 6'6", and that could potentially be a problem.

Who knows, I just have a good feeling about Mashburn. Willis averaged 30 minutes per game last year and I think Mashburn will be a little better than him.

I love Ihnen and could see him starting too. I just think Pitino prefers multiple ball handlers, which is why I predict Mashburn will start. We would sacrifice rebounding some, but would be quicker and have more playmakers.
Thanks. I definitely agree with you on sacrificing rebounds if mashburn is that good. Now you also got me excited about him.

Take a look at Omersa and Ihnen's game logs starting January 30th. There is an inverse correlation between Ihnen's development and Omersa's minutes
I just don't understand why Pitino completey took the minutes from Omersa. I'd argue he's a more positive impact on the floor than Demir was. I know Demir's minutes were also cut, but this coulda given an opportunity to rest Dan 3-5 more minutes a game as well and move Omersa and Ihnen in together at times. Watching the games I didn't see any reasoning why Omersa shouldn't have continued to play 10-20.

If you've got guys to use, which I think you'll have 9-10 deep on our roster that can legitimately play going into this next season, use them. If you wanna cut it down to 8 when the tournament rolls around, that's fine. But you can use more guys during the season, and should. Then if you need them come tournament time, it's not like you're throwing 'em in outta the blue like Jarvis had to suffer through against Michigan St. last year in NCAAs. It's a coaches job to have guys prepared. It's not their fault that they aren't ready. Roster Management.

I just don't understand why Pitino completey took the minutes from Omersa. I'd argue he's a more positive impact on the floor than Demir was. I know Demir's minutes were also cut, but this coulda given an opportunity to rest Dan 3-5 more minutes a game as well and move Omersa and Ihnen in together at times. Watching the games I didn't see any reasoning why Omersa shouldn't have continued to play 10-20.
I agree with you. I love watching Omersa play. It felt like he was always making positive things happen that don't necessarily show up in the box score (tipping a ball here, boxing out a guy there, sprinting back to defend a fast break). I hope he is able to carve out a role. I just don't see it with the way things trended last year and the makeup of next year's roster.

One simple reason. He can’t shoot the ball. This team lost several games last year due to poor shooting alone. Omersa was the king of clank. I’m ok with a PF guy like him if he can at least be close to average from the free-throw line. I believe he was under 30%. That is in rare bad territory. Wasn’t Shaq close to 50%, and he got regularly ripped? As close as some of are games were, it only takes a couple of missed bunnies or free throws to make the difference. If he doesn’t greatly improve his stroke, given the new talent coming in (and the two new forwards and Ihnen are decent shooters), I wouldn’t play him much.

IMO

G-Marcus Carr
G-Gabe Kalscheur
F-Tre Williams
F-Brandon Johnson
C- Liam Robbins

The only one that I was up in the air about is if you start Ihnen at the 3.
Unless Tre greatly improves his shooting and finishing, I would not start him. Too much of an offensive liability last year.

I like Omersa's energy and think he will get 5ish minutes per game as a spark. I'd bet money he doesn't play a second at the 3 though.
Omersa is under Miles Tarver rules. If he shoots from further than point blank range, he should be yanked immediately.

One simple reason. He can’t shoot the ball. This team lost several games last year due to poor shooting alone. Omersa was the king of clank. I’m ok with a PF guy like him if he can at least be close to average from the free-throw line. I believe he was under 30%. That is in rare bad territory. Wasn’t Shaq close to 50%, and he got regularly ripped? As close as some of are games were, it only takes a couple of missed bunnies or free throws to make the difference. If he doesn’t greatly improve his stroke, given the new talent coming in (and the two new forwards and Ihnen are decent shooters), I wouldn’t play him much.
Demir wasn't making a thing. Omersa gave you everything else. He knew not to shoot to the ball and he'd give it up. He would crash hard, he'd work hard. He'd foul but it doesn't matter. I'd use up 4 or 5 fouls with him to get him 20 minutes over what Demir was giving last half of the year. You don't need to play Omersa at the end of the game. There's 35-38 minutes that aren't end of the game situation. Jarvis shot 51% from the field in the minutes he had last game. Averaged equivalent to about 10 boards/40 minutes. FT% isn't a big issue during the first 35 minutes of the game. Especially when you rarely touch the ball on offense and just do the other little things. It's good to have guys like that. Glue guys.

Yeah, I agree for the most part, but saying someone starts at the 3 instead of the 2 implies they will probably be defending someone a little bit bigger. If you said Mashburn was the starting 3, that would imply that he will be defending guys who could be around 6'6", and that could potentially be a problem.

Mashburn would be starting on the perimeter and probably end up cross matched a decent amount on a 2 or a 3. The perimeter pieces are mostly interchangeable what with the switching that has taken over college basketball and the matchups.

With that in mind, starting a guy like Ihnen at the 3 means he could be spending time on point guards (especially since so many teams play two or at least 1.5 point guards together so often). Not only would he be chasing guards around the perimeter, he wouldn't be allowed to crash the glass as hard, and I have a hard time imagining him fighting through multiple ball screens every possession.

Last edited:

Demir wasn't making a thing. Omersa gave you everything else. He knew not to shoot to the ball and he'd give it up. He would crash hard, he'd work hard. He'd foul but it doesn't matter. I'd use up 4 or 5 fouls with him to get him 20 minutes over what Demir was giving last half of the year. You don't need to play Omersa at the end of the game. There's 35-38 minutes that aren't end of the game situation. Jarvis shot 51% from the field in the minutes he had last game. Averaged equivalent to about 10 boards/40 minutes. FT% isn't a big issue during the first 35 minutes of the game. Especially when you rarely touch the ball on offense and just do the other little things. It's good to have guys like that. Glue guys.
I’m certainly not arguing that the minutes should have gone to Demir. I think Ihnen should have gotten even more of Demir’s minutes. I still say, at minimum, Omersa has to greatly improve his free throw shooting to see many minutes.

Top Bottom