STrib: Potential starting lineup for the Gophers men's basketball team in 2020-21

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

G Marcus Carr, 6-2 jr.: Point guard declared for NBA draft but is expected to return.

G Jamal Mashburn Jr., 6-2 fr.: Son of former Kentucky All-America could make immediate impact.

G Gabe Kalscheur, 6-4 jr.: Former DeLaSalle standout led the Big Ten with 76 three-pointers this season.

F Brandon Johnson, 6-8 sr.: The Western Michigan graduate transfer is immediately eligible.

C Liam Robbins, 7-0 jr.: The Drake transfer will seek a waiver to play immediately.

Go Gophers!!

IMO

G-Marcus Carr
G-Gabe Kalscheur
F-Tre Williams
F-Brandon Johnson
C- Liam Robbins

The only one that I was up in the air about is if you start Ihnen at the 3.

How do we think the minutes will be distributed between our big men Robbins/Freeman/Curry/Omersa/Ihnen/Johnson?

For reference, Ihnen was averaging 17 mpg in his final 10 games, largely at the expense of Omersa who averaged 6 mpg in those 10 games (I removed the @NW game which Ihnen missed). Liam Robbins played 27 mpg. Oturu handled 34 mpg and Demir 25 mpg.

Maybe Omersa or Freeman redshirts and focuses on improving their body or a skill so they can be contributors down the road?

Who will be our primary back up center? Curry? Or Freeman? Or a guy like Brandon Johnson (200 lbs) or Ihnen (210 lbs)? It was discussed in another thread, but maybe Johnson/Ihnen see some minutes at the 3 just to maximize our talent (if not our strategy). Obviously the health of Curry is a big variable that none of us know.

IMO

G-Marcus Carr
G-Gabe Kalscheur
F-Tre Williams
F-Brandon Johnson
C- Liam Robbins

The only one that I was up in the air about is if you start Ihnen at the 3.
On second thought maybe you would want Ihnen at the 3. At tre Williams as a sub so you could have 2 kind of ball handlers in subs(mashburn and williams). Dont think ihnen is great as a ball handler and I thought greenlee is a ways away from making a difference.

Our current roster is as follows with the positions that player can successfully play
Starters:
PG: Carr 35mpg (only playing PG)
SG: Gabe 35mpg (no PG responsibility but can play either wing spot)
SF: Ihnen 25mpg (playing either forward spot)
PF: Johnson 25mpg (either forward spot)
C: Robbins 25mpg (C only)
145/200 minutes leaving 55 minutes left
Bench:
Williams 15 mpg (wing)
Mashburn 15 mpg (playing as a PG or wing)
Curry: 8 mpg (at 4-5)
Omersa 7 mpg (4-5)
Freeman 5 mpg (C)
Mitchell - 5 mpg (3-4)
Greenlee ~ 0 mpg

DEEP team next year barring a Carr/Robbins injury we should he set ti go

The 5
Carr
Kalscheuer
Ihnen
Johnson
Robbins

Key Reserves
Mashburn (1/2)
Williams (wing)
Curry (4/5)
Omersa (4/energy guy)

This all falls apart if Carr leaves. Does Mashburn become the de facto starting PG?

Our current roster is as follows with the positions that player can successfully play
Starters:
PG: Carr 35mpg (only playing PG)
SG: Gabe 35mpg (no PG responsibility but can play either wing spot)
SF: Ihnen 25mpg (playing either forward spot)
PF: Johnson 25mpg (either forward spot)
C: Robbins 25mpg (C only)
145/200 minutes leaving 55 minutes left
Bench:
Williams 15 mpg (wing)
Mashburn 15 mpg (playing as a PG or wing)
Curry: 8 mpg (at 4-5)
Omersa 7 mpg (4-5)
Freeman 5 mpg (C)
Mitchell - 5 mpg (3-4)
Greenlee ~ 0 mpg

DEEP team next year barring a Carr/Robbins injury we should he set ti go
Yep. That is similar to how I would see it with out current roster. With an optimistic take that Curry could get up to 10-12 Minutes as the season progresses.

The 5
Carr
Kalscheuer
Ihnen
Johnson
Robbins

Key Reserves
Mashburn (1/2)
Williams (wing)
Curry (4/5)
Omersa (4/energy guy)

This all falls apart if Carr leaves. Does Mashburn become the de facto starting PG?
I would say yes mashburn would be at pg if carr doesnt come back. Dont think there are any other options, unless you get another pg or combo on the team

His mother must be really short. Dad is like 6'7, 6'8
Height is dependent on the maternal grandfather. Jamal Sr's wife's dad must be pretty short. I'm not a geneticist but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. That's what I call my house now. I think the local Holiday Inn Express needs to have its radon levels tested.

PG- Carr 30, Mashburn 8, Greenlee 2
SG- Gabe 28, Tre 8, Mashburn 4
SF- Ihnen 28, Mitchell 8, Tre 4
PF- Johnson 28, Omersa 8, Mitchell 4
C- Robbins 25, Curry 12, Freeman 3

This team looks very good on paper.

Point Guard

Carr: If he comes back we need to make sure he is fresh to lead us in the final minutes.

Mashburn: Pitino must find a way to get him time at the point in the early season games. If Carr leaves he will be forced into the role instantly.

Greenlee: Good Kid who gets the opportunity to play a few minutes at the end of the games in the Big Ten. Great experience for any kid. Kids who can sit and be positive while waiting for an opportunity are very valuable to every team.

Gabe: This kid wins games for us and also loses games for us. Expect him to be on a shorter leash than his Freshman and Sophomore season. Pitino says nothing but good things about him, but he needs to live up to expectations.

Tre: If he has a great off season, and can become a more confident shooter, he may very well find his way into the starting 5.

Ihnen: We all hope he becomes a "Super Star" !

Mitchell: Unknown but lots of Potential! If he can defend he will be on the court.

Johnson: Proven Commodity; Starts day 1

Omersa: Has to shoot 65% on free throws to be on the court

Robbins: Proven Commodity; Starts as soon as waiver is approved

Curry: All about how healthy his knees are! Proud he isn't giving up. Hope 10-15 minutes per game this year to stay healthy and a larger work load his final year.

Freeman: Excited to see what he can do. I would red shirt him for development and then he can be a major contributor his last three years.

Walton is a wild-card: If he comes he will definitely be in the mix from day 1, possibly starting! Would definitely give the team needed depth.

Hopefully Pitino can finally have enough contributors to play 10 guys regularly!

In a perfect world, the Gophers can land either Peterson (and get a waiver), Walton or another playable (startable) wing.

If they don't get someone who can play this year (they are screwed in this situation), here's my guess for a lineup and minute dispersion

PG: Carr (36)
SG: Kalscheur (32)
SF: Williams (25)
PF: Johnson (26)
C: Robbins (24)

Minutes for Backups: 57
Mashburn (24)
Ihnen (22)
Curry/Omersa/Freeman (8)
Greenlee (3)

If Walton were to commit, or they could add a wing who can play immediately, Carr plays a few less minutes, Williams and Mashburn are both in the teens rather than mid-20s and Greenlee doesn't see the floor

In a perfect world, the Gophers can land either Peterson (and get a waiver), Walton or another playable (startable) wing.

If they don't get someone who can play this year (they are screwed in this situation), here's my guess for a lineup and minute dispersion

PG: Carr (36)
SG: Kalscheur (32)
SF: Williams (25)
PF: Johnson (26)
C: Robbins (24)

Minutes for Backups: 57
Mashburn (24)
Ihnen (22)
Curry/Omersa/Freeman (8)
Greenlee (3)

If Walton were to commit, or they could add a wing who can play immediately, Carr plays a few less minutes, Williams and Mashburn are both in the teens rather than mid-20s and Greenlee doesn't see the floor

Why did you start Tre Williams over Ihnen. Just want to know your thoughts.

Point Guard

Carr: If he comes back we need to make sure he is fresh to lead us in the final minutes.

Mashburn: Pitino must find a way to get him time at the point in the early season games. If Carr leaves he will be forced into the role instantly.

Greenlee: Good Kid who gets the opportunity to play a few minutes at the end of the games in the Big Ten. Great experience for any kid. Kids who can sit and be positive while waiting for an opportunity are very valuable to every team.

Gabe: This kid wins games for us and also loses games for us. Expect him to be on a shorter leash than his Freshman and Sophomore season. Pitino says nothing but good things about him, but he needs to live up to expectations.

Tre: If he has a great off season, and can become a more confident shooter, he may very well find his way into the starting 5.

Mitchell: Unknown but lots of Potential! If he can defend he will be on the court.

Curry: All about how healthy his knees are! Proud he isn't giving up. Hope 10-15 minutes per game this year to stay healthy and a larger work load his final year.

Freeman: Excited to see what he can do. I would red shirt him for development and then he can be a major contributor his last three years.

Walton is a wild-card: If he comes he will definitely be in the mix from day 1, possibly starting! Would definitely give the team needed depth.

Hopefully Pitino can finally have enough contributors to play 10 guys regularly!
I think Williams and mashburn will get more than 12 minutes a game.

Alot of people have that open for debate. I initially had Williams starting at the 3. But have since switched it, because I thought the subs need more ball handlers.

As of now I think the most likely lineup is

PG: Carr
SG: Gabe
SG: Tre Williams
PF: Ihnen
C: Johnson
with Robbins sitting out.

If Robbins is good to go, I'd give a slight edge to Ihnen over Johnson at the 4. I just really liked how he finished the year and am expecting massive improvement from him.

I would start Johnson no doubt at the 4. Even if Ihnen was better, which I don't think he is at this point, the kid grad transferred in and I cannot imagine him being happy coming off the bench. For overall team chemistry reasons, I'm starting Johnson at the 4 all year barring some brutal play (Pitino promise to start Demir may be why he continued to start over Ihnen?).

Even if Ihnen comes off the bench, you can still find ways to get him a lot of minutes. I really like the 3-man rotation of Johnson, Robbins and Ihnen rotating the 4/5. Then sprinkling in minutes for Curry and Jarvis when/if needed. Ihnen will spend a lot of time at the 3 then too so there should be no lack of minutes depending on how he's playing. Man it's fun to imagine Curry regaining that ability of his too. Not relying on that though.

I think our biggest wild-cards going into next year are Mashburn and Ihnen. High potential guys and hard to say how many minutes they will get depending on how they're playing. Johnson and Robbins are most established in my mind w/ obvious Carr and Gabe too. Yes I understand those big men haven't played in the Big 10 but I think they are just safer bets than Ihnen, though I do expect Ihnen to make a jump this year which will be interesting. I'd expect 25-30+ from both Robbins and Johnson every night barring foul trouble which will happen.

I think Tre, Mash, and Ihnen will be fighting for minutes in that 5-7th spot. If you get Mash and Ihnen playing at a high level it's gonna be tough for Tre. But he'll get minutes too no doubt. I hope Gabe can bring it this year and get back to 40% from 3. It'll be hard to take him off the floor at that point. Carr's minutes are locked in for 30-35/night.

We'll see how it all plays out but breaking down this lineup is fun to do. There's a lot of talent and you've got options here. I'd think we got one more guy on the way in the next month or so as well.

You've got 7 solid at this point in my mind, then waiting on other recruit, and also Curry/Omersa. You're potentially going 9 or 10 deep if you really wanted to. Pitino hasn't gone with the deep bench strategy too often in his time here, but it really looks like you've got it this year.

Last edited:

the kid grad transferred in and I cannot imagine him being happy coming off the bench. For overall team chemistry reasons, I'm starting Johnson at the 4 all year barring some brutal play (Pitino promise to start Demir may be why he continued to start over Ihnen?)

If I'm concerned about any player putting his personal needs/goals ahead of team goals and upsetting team chemistry, I don't bring him in--period! If I'm concerned that a guy not getting enough minutes, not starting, not being the focal point of the offense might become a chemistry issue, I don't even look at him. Quite honestly, I'm not even sure I would want a coach who would bring in and put up with a player like that, no matter how good the dude is. I've seen some really good players blow up teams because of their attitude over the years. It's not worth it in the long run.

As far as Ihnen not getting early minutes, he had an injury and then my guess would be that he was having problems grasping defensive concepts until late in the season. Not surprising, since it was his first year in the program. Most of the successful coaches I've been involved with are pretty consistent with the philosophy, no meaningful minutes in games until you've proven in practice that I can trust you to do it right. If you can't be consistent in practice, how can I trust you in a game situation? Bonehead plays will get you pulled a lot faster a physical mistake. It looked to me like Pitino played that exactly right with Ihnen this past season and now he's poised for a break-out season in 20-21.

the kid grad transferred in and I cannot imagine him being happy coming off the bench. For overall team chemistry reasons, I'm starting Johnson at the 4 all year barring some brutal play (Pitino promise to start Demir may be why he continued to start over Ihnen?)

If I'm concerned about any player putting his personal needs/goals ahead of team goals and upsetting team chemistry, I don't bring him in--period! If I'm concerned that a guy not getting enough minutes, not starting, not being the focal point of the offense might become a chemistry issue, I don't even look at him. Quite honestly, I'm not even sure I would want a coach who would bring in and put up with a player like that, no matter how good the dude is. I've seen some really good players blow up teams because of their attitude over the years. It's not worth it in the long run.

As far as Ihnen not getting early minutes, he had an injury and then my guess would be that he was having problems grasping defensive concepts until late in the season. Not surprising, since it was his first year in the program. Most of the successful coaches I've been involved with are pretty consistent with the philosophy, no meaningful minutes in games until you've proven in practice that I can trust you to do it right. If you can't be consistent in practice, how can I trust you in a game situation? Bonehead plays will get you pulled a lot faster a physical mistake. It looked to me like Pitino played that exactly right with Ihnen this past season and now he's poised for a break-out season in 20-21.
He promised a starting role to Demir ? Do not promise starting to anyone. Most coaches do not even start the 5 best players, they start the 5 that make the best team and having a 6th man that has more versatility often is the best weapon in a game of match ups.

I dont think Ihnen is a wing. Unless he is showing insane amounts of development behind closed doors, I don't believe he's a perimeter player. I can't imagine him defending PGs and SGs in large doses, nor do I believe he has the skills to create his own shot off the dribble in Pitino's offense.

That being said, I guess Williams hasn't shown any sort of offensive ability either, given he shot 28 percent from the field, never got the free throw line and had 26 assists in 500 minutes, but I'm inclined to believe he's closer to being capable as a perimeter piece than Ihnen. I think everything Ihnen does well, would be compromised if he was playing SF. In this day and age of college hoops, teams play four (and sometimes five) guards - not three bigs.

The perimeter depth looks really bad unless they can get a guy who can play immediately, which may force Ihnen to play on the wing some. I think that is an indictment on the team's personnel more than an endorsement of Ihnen's game.

Hopefully we don't have that problem but it's hard for me to believe that Johnson would be OK with coming off the bench after reading through his quotes after committing. He's got NBA aspirations and that was clearly the discussion with Pitino.

When you're in job-saving mode, as Pitino is, you're just trying to get guys in with high talent and level of play. That's definitely Johnson and Robbins. And I think he sold 'em both on the fact that Coffee and Oturu are pros, and they can be as well under him. Obviously Johnson had to be a lot tougher sell than Robbins with Conroy the lead assistant.

I don't anticipate having to worry about this problem as I think Johnson has the grinding mindset to earn that starting job and keep it.

But overall I think these grad transfers come in to programs because they want playing time first and foremost, and then they want to play at a high level. I'm sure there are some who will accept less playing time to be at a big school, but I would say that's far from the majority. These kids expect to play and make an impact.

Also part of coaching is managing personalities to best benefit your team. It's different nowadays than it was 10, 20+ years ago. There's more fragility and the tough kids that grind and battle constantly are down in numbers. You have to be understanding of how you can best balance personalities for the most benefit to the team.

Last edited:

He promised a starting role to Demir ? Do not promise starting to anyone. Most coaches do not even start the 5 best players, they start the 5 that make the best team and having a 6th man that has more versatility often is the best weapon in a game of match ups.
That was just a guess with Demir, could very well not be true. I just thought it became clear at the end of the season that Ihnen gave you a much better chance to win than Demir. But starting doesn't always tell that and I believe Pitino did give Ihnen more minutes than Demir in a couple games down the stretch.

I also didn't understand the cut in Jarvis' minutes. I liked what Jarvis brought to the table for 10-20/game for the first half of the year. He dropped off to between 0-10 minutes/game at the end of January and I didn't see a solid reasoning for that. Doesn't matter if he fouls out, he's giving you a post defender that Demir struggled with all year. You could argue it was to get Ihnen more minutes but I would have preferred to see those minutes been taken from Demir. Jarvis has the body and ability to give you good minutes, as he proved. Seemed like it hurt his confidence to have that much of a drop-off. You start to press as a player when you get such limited minutes.

By the end of the year I thought Ihnen-Omersa-Demir would've been the depth chart order. Just seems like there had to be a reason that Demir continued to play 20-25+ per night. Grad transfers may just have certain promises in various situations. I wouldn't be surprised to learn of that.

Last edited:

That was just a guess with Demir, could very well not be true. I just thought it became clear at the end of the season that Ihnen gave you a much better chance to win than Demir. But starting doesn't always tell that and I believe Pitino did give Ihnen more minutes than Demir in a couple games down the stretch.

I also didn't understand the cut in Jarvis' minutes. I liked what Jarvis brought to the table for 10-20/game for the first half of the year. He dropped off to between 0-10 minutes/game at the end of January and I didn't see a solid reasoning for that. Doesn't matter if he fouls out, he's giving you a post defender that Demir struggled with all year. You could argue it was to get Ihnen more minutes but I would have preferred to see those minutes been taken from Demir. Jarvis has the body and ability to give you good minutes, as he proved. Seemed like it hurt his confidence to have that much of a drop-off. You start to press as a player when you get such limited minutes.

By the end of the year I thought Ihnen-Omersa-Demir would've been the depth chart order. Just seems like there had to be a reason that Demir continued to play 20-25+ per night. Grad transfers may just have certain promises in various situations. I wouldn't be surprised to learn of that.
Omersa is going to be an important part of the nect 2 seasons

Omersa is going to be an important part of the nect 2 seasons

Between Liam Robbins/Sam Freeman/Eric Curry at the 5, and Brandon Johnson/Isaiah Ihnen/Eric Curry at the 4, where do you see Omersa fitting in?

He was seeing ~6 minutes per game at the end of the year. We regain Curry, Ihnen's role is expanding, and Robbins and Johnson will likely completely replace Oturu/Demir's minutes.

I like Omersa. Love his hustle, energy, and attitude. He was one of my favorite players on the team this year.

That said I am wondering if it wouldn't be worth it for him to redshirt next year. Focus exclusively on free throw shooting (he is 7/31, 22.5% for his career) and an offensive move. Then when Brandon Johnson and maybe Eric Curry are gone after next year, he is ready to contribute.

Between Liam Robbins/Sam Freeman/Eric Curry at the 5, and Brandon Johnson/Isaiah Ihnen/Eric Curry at the 4, where do you see Omersa fitting in?

He was seeing ~6 minutes per game at the end of the year. We regain Curry, Ihnen's role is expanding, and Robbins and Johnson will likely completely replace Oturu/Demir's minutes.

I like Omersa. Love his hustle, energy, and attitude. He was one of my favorite players on the team this year.

That said I am wondering if it wouldn't be worth it for him to redshirt next year. Focus exclusively on free throw shooting (he is 7/31, 22.5% for his career) and an offensive move. Then when Brandon Johnson and maybe Eric Curry are gone after next year, he is ready to contribute.
So you cite his ~ 6 minutes a game and the put Freeman and Curry ahead of him in playing time? One guy played less than that ~6 minutes and theres no proof the other guy will ever play again. Not to mention another one that might have to sit a season out.

Point Guard

There is no way Mitchell play Wing minutes next year. None of his video shows anything of a player with a Wing Skillset. Maybe after a few years

Top Bottom