STrib: Potential starting lineup for the Gophers men's basketball team in 2020-21

Hopefully Walton. My projection is based on who we have now and will change if/when we add another player.
Would certainly be real interesting to see how pitino sets the rotation of he were able to land Walton(please!) or pederson(and he gets a waiver)
On paper would be the deepest team I can ever remember....not the best...but the deepest

Per Marcus (on Monday):
Bryan Greenlee, G, 6-0 sophomore Played only 2.8 minutes per game but has second-highest max vertical on the team at 44 inches.
Gotta admit, I never saw this level of athleticism displayed, but interesting.

Per Marcus (on Monday):
Bryan Greenlee, G, 6-0 sophomore Played only 2.8 minutes per game but has second-highest max vertical on the team at 44 inches.
That's just because you never saw him

Per Marcus (on Monday):
Wait a second, that's against everything that makes sense! He doesn't look that athletic.

I hope he is a wolf in sheep's clothing and that Mashburn is everything IW was supposed to be. Then we could have some real battles in practice making this team real good if they ever get to practice again!

Depth is so important! Having 5 or 7 good players is great but when you scrimmage in practice and dominate on a daily basis you will never get better. you really need quality depth to challenge your starters on a daily basis to make them challenged consistently to get the rust off and get them game ready for the entire season. something we have rarely been able to do here at Minnesota. It was better last year and certainly the football team can do it. But overall, we are just not deep enough.

Wait a second, that's against everything that makes sense! He doesn't look that athletic.

I hope he is a wolf in sheep's clothing and that Mashburn is everything IW was supposed to be. Then we could have some real battles in practice making this team real good if they ever get to practice again!

Depth is so important! Having 5 or 7 good players is great but when you scrimmage in practice and dominate on a daily basis you will never get better. you really need quality depth to challenge your starters on a daily basis to make them challenged consistently to get the rust off and get them game ready for the entire season. something we have rarely been able to do here at Minnesota. It was better last year and certainly the football team can do it. But overall, we are just not deep enough.

I'd bet Greenlee and guys like Hurt are actually really good in practice to scrimmage against. They work hard and that's half the battle. Depth is honestly overrated. We obviously were a little thin last year, but teams just don't play more than 7 guys real minutes anymore unless it's a blow out or there is foul trouble. Teams with 10 high level guys are hard to make happy. Wichita State is an example of that. As far as practice goes, it's why I love sit out transfers and redshirts. Practices are there games and you know you're getting. I have no issue having 8-9 guys who you think can play and filling the rest of the roster with developmental/redshirt guys and transfers.

Vertical doesn't always equate to lateral quickness and basketball skills are independent of vertical ... vertical is fun to measure and talk about, but doesn't really mean much ... Klay Thompson is considered an above average defender yet rarely (if ever) plays above the rim

Vertical doesn't always equate to lateral quickness and basketball skills are independent of vertical ... vertical is fun to measure and talk about, but doesn't really mean much ... Klay Thompson is considered an above average defender yet rarely (if ever) plays above the rim
Klay is actually considered a world class defender.

Klay is actually considered a world class defender.
I must admit ... I understated Klay’s defense on purpose.

Somehow vertical jump has become the measure of athleticism when ablility to move vertically and recovery speed are much more important.

I guess we can thank social media and the internet for this ...

I must admit ... I understated Klay’s defense on purpose.

Somehow vertical jump has become the measure of athleticism when ablility to move vertically and recovery speed are much more important.

I guess we can thank social media and the internet for this ...
Why would you understate the crutch of your argument? Regardless, great vertical jumping ability = better athlete = quicker defender. For example, Jimmy Butler and Kawhi Leonard are both freak athletes and are premier defenders in the NBA.

I'm surprised his vertical is that high, but you can see he's quite athletic from watching him defend and he's pretty damn strong for a freshman pg. Most freshmen pgs suck, so I didn't find his season to be nearly as bad as others. He played solid d and didn't make many mistakes. I think he will be a very good defender and not a liability on offense next year. He could become very important if Carr misses any time.

Top Bottom