STrib: Dawson Garcia needs a co-star: Four Gophers with the potential to do it

Fox averaged 0 ppg against OSU, San Fran and Missouri. Expecting him to avg 6-8 ppg is an unreasonable expectation.
Fox played a total of 10 minutes in those 3 games and attempted 1 field goal, total.

Give him 20 mpg and he will average 7-8 pts a game. It certainly will be more productive than what Ihnen has provided recently.

Almost everyone one on the roster, excluding Garcia, seems to be an “if”. Hence the article, I guess.
I know this is not a popular opinion but coaching is a lot of why so many players are "ifs".
Players need defined roles determined by the coach who has identified what their strengths are (do what they are good at and it gives them confidence individually) and then he designs his offense and defensive systems based on their abilities. (Fit it all together and players see each other successful and now the team is confident)
That's one of the missing pieces to Ben.
Part of the result why guys often don't look or play confident.

Cam is averaging 11 points a game and shooting over 50% from three. That’s a “shred” and more.
He has also had 60 minutes in 3 games where he tallied 14 points.
Shred was probably too strong of a word though, agree. Think Christie is our second best option for a big night, as I stated in another post. Hope he goes off tonight. Hope Payne has a double double and 5 blocks.

I know we have dissected this many times on the board, I just don’t think Ben knows how to put the players in the best position to be successful as a team. If you listen to Ben in press conferences he says almost the same thing he’s said last two years about players and games etc. Garcia will continue to dominate when given the ball and we have seen glimpses from Christie but it will take him a handful of games to adjust to physicality of Big Ten but I just am not sure on others.

I know we have dissected this many times on the board, I just don’t think Ben knows how to put the players in the best position to be successful as a team. If you listen to Ben in press conferences he says almost the same thing he’s said last two years about players and games etc. Garcia will continue to dominate when given the ball and we have seen glimpses from Christie but it will take him a handful of games to adjust to physicality of Big Ten but I just am not sure on others.
Agree, Cooper is a good example. Starting and playing well for South Carolina.

I really don't think Ben knows how to develop talent. Also, absolutely ZERO in game coaching going on.

After how many games does needing more than one very good player become relevant?
You could have said in 1973 the Gophers will need more than one good player in ‘23-24. Anybody could have said it because everyone knows it. There is no set number of games. You can only speculate.

Personally, I am confident Christie and Payne will be good supplemental players for Garcia the majority of games going forward. I think Mitchell will score double digits once in awhile. Hawkins will for sure.

We have much more depth and it can be a different surprise guy any night. No doubt Ihnen will come off the bench some night and hit a flurry of threes.

I really don't think Ben knows how to develop talent. Also, absolutely ZERO in game coaching going on.
What are you talking about?

He started for us. He scored more , he blocked more shots, had more rebounds, more assists, and more steals, while playing a statistically schedule (according to sports reference).

You could have said in 1973 the Gophers will need more than one good player in ‘23-24. Anybody could have said it because everyone knows it. There is no set number of games. You can only speculate.

Personally, I am confident Christie and Payne will be good supplemental players for Garcia
Once again. I said three times now that Christie and Payne are the best options behind Garcia. It’s kind of basic. To win a team needs ‘players’ to produce. The Gophers, this year, have not had that. Sorry, they just haven’t.

I know this is not a popular opinion but coaching is a lot of why so many players are "ifs".
Players need defined roles determined by the coach who has identified what their strengths are (do what they are good at and it gives them confidence individually) and then he designs his offense and defensive systems based on their abilities. (Fit it all together and players see each other successful and now the team is confident)
That's one of the missing pieces to Ben.
Part of the result why guys often don't look or play confident.
Thank you. This is the best articulation of what I've been feeling. There's some talent on this team, and time will tell whether and how well it comes together into a better-oiled machine, but at the present time it feels unconnected, scattered, disjointed. They've had a few nice moments, but it feels like there's so much potential being left on the table in terms of performance.

I don't disagree with you on Ben.

As to Cooper, he is just not a Big Ten point guard. He is way too slow. At South Carolina, 4 of the 5 top players are guards, so while I don't watch South Carolina play I would be willing to be that there are others who are helping him with ball handling and keeping the pace of the game good and the ball moving. With us, Copper just slowed the whole thing down and made us play against set defenses all the time. He couldn't guard the opposing point because of his foot speed. He is probably guarding a 3 at South Caroline.

I don't disagree with you on Ben.

As to Cooper, he is just not a Big Ten point guard. He is way too slow. At South Carolina, 4 of the 5 top players are guards, so while I don't watch South Carolina play I would be willing to be that there are others who are helping him with ball handling and keeping the pace of the game good and the ball moving. With us, Copper just slowed the whole thing down and made us play against set defenses all the time. He couldn't guard the opposing point because of his foot speed. He is probably guarding a 3 at South Caroline.
I'd be very surprised if it was Cooper slowing us down. To me those were Ben's orders.

Dawson needs all of them plus one. Hindsight is 20/20.

JOJ was like a junk yard dog on a pogo stick last night! Also a three level scorer, hopefully this was his coming out party. Hummel was aroused by his play

Top Bottom