STrib: Dawson Garcia needs a co-star: Four Gophers with the potential to do it

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Marcus:

If Garcia again finds himself in another battle and his superpowers alone aren't enough, who could he turn to for help? Four aren't even starters.

PHARREL PAYNE

In last week's 97-64 win against New Orleans, the Gophers generated their most efficient game offensively across the board, including shooting 59% from the field, their best mark since 2018.

CAM CHRISTIE

In an 18-point loss at San Francisco last month, Cam Christie definitely looked like a freshman playing in his first college road game. He wasn't dribbling the ball with confidence. The entire backcourt struggled to take care of the ball, but some of his passes were easily picked off for turnovers.

MIKE MITCHELL JR.

Mike Mitchell Jr.'s college career began with him starting all 63 games at Pepperdine in two seasons. But the Gophers have used him as the backup point guard in the first eight games.

PARKER FOX

There are two players on the Gophers' roster who have experience winning at a high level. Hawkins went to the NCAA tournament at Howard last season, but there's another guy in that category who might be ready for a bigger role: Parker Fox.

Go Gophers!!

Fox and II have provided little to nothing thus far. Depth is great, but productive depth is needed.

Counting on Fox for scoring isn't going to work.

Fox and Mitchell?

I think Fox should play a bigger role but he's unlikely to score in double figures often. He rarely shoots outside of three feet and he's a poor free throw shooter. Still, every point counts so we would be better off if we could get 6 to 8 points a game from him.

Garcia, Christie and Payne in that order, for me. Only one is providing that this year with any shred of consistency.

Yes, those three should all play as much as is reasonable. I think Christie has more potential to be a big scorer than Payne because of the way he shoots the 3 and free throws. Payne is formidable on both sides of the ball but he has yet to have a 20 point game in his Gopher career.

I think Fox should play a bigger role but he's unlikely to score in double figures often. He rarely shoots outside of three feet and he's a poor free throw shooter. Still, every point counts so we would be better off if we could get 6 to 8 points a game from him.
6-8 points from Fox in 10 min is better than 0 from Ihnen in 13 min

I’m of the belief that you need three players on your team that can go off on any given game, not two. Far from it on this squad.

You certainly can do it with two double figure scorers but the rest of the team has to chip in regularly too.

Fox averaged 0 ppg against OSU, San Fran and Missouri. Expecting him to avg 6-8 ppg is an unreasonable expectation.

Christie can definitely be a star. He is clearly #2 for me. Payne could be a force if we posted him up. But, that would require a different focus or emphasis than the present roll from the top action.
If Ihnen had a whisperer pumping him up, helping him to play free and quick, trust himself and not think about everything to the point of paralyzation....he could be an option as a candidate.

Christie can definitely be a star. He is clearly #2 for me. Payne could be a force if we posted him up. But, that would require a different focus or emphasis than the present roll from the top action.
If Ihnen
Almost everyone one on the roster, excluding Garcia, seems to be an “if”. Hence the article, I guess.

NOT Mitchell, Christie needs to step up. Payne needs to start, Fox needs to get back up big minutes.

Ihnen needs to go away. He plays SOFT and is a 1 dimensional player. He is a FLOATER

I agree with that
Fox averaged 0 ppg against OSU, San Fran and Missouri. Expecting him to avg 6-8 ppg is an unreasonable expectation.
I understand that, but he has to play more than 2 minutes. My point is he would be more productive on the floor in 10 minutes then Ihnen would be in 13 minutes.

He played only 3 minutes against Missouri, 4 minutes against San Francisco, and 5 against Ohio State. Ihnen did score 10 in 26 minutes against Missouri but was scoreless in a combined 23 minutes against San Francisco and Ohio State.

At this point, it's pick your poison. One of those guys has to play some minutes and I have greater confidence in Fox at this point.

Top Bottom