STrib: Academic gap between black, white players persists on Gophers football roster

This is a fantastic post and really hits on everything.

Many are pointing out that the real problem is that they come from crappy high schools so that's where the fix needs to be placed. I agree, long term, that's exactly right. But, we do recruit them to our university and we owe them something to get them caught up if they come to play football for our entertainment and to make the university money.

I never meant to insinuate that the U or Coach Kill are to blame in the least bit. But, if Minnesota recruits these players the university should do everything in their power to help these kids from underprivileged backgrounds succeed. I am definitely not saying we need to recruit higher quality kids, I think we are recruiting high quality kids, but we should do more to ensure that any academic problems they had in the past are overcome and they exit the university better, more well rounded young men.

Very....... Thin...... Ice...

So only kids from underprivileged backgrounds fail at a high rate? And apparently those kids/athletes from underprivileged backgrounds should receive more time, attention, and resources than all the other students on campus?

It would appear that you've nailed it. Nice work!

Very....... Thin...... Ice...

So only kids from underprivileged backgrounds fail at a high rate? And apparently those kids/athletes from underprivileged backgrounds should receive more time, attention, and resources than all the other students on campus?

It would appear that you've nailed it. Nice work!

Ogee, you are correct about the thin ice and we have tried to end this thread but it appears it is destined to ride the racial railway to the lonesome end.

Ogee, you are correct about the thin ice and we have tried to end this thread but it appears it is destined to ride the racial railway to the lonesome end.

strib started it. Just sayin'...

Top Bottom