Strange Iowa Fans - Can you top this?

Similar experience. Went to the 94 game. A bunch of 20-ish guys in front of us drinking all game. One dressed in a gorilla suit with jungle print underwear and an Iowa flag around his neck. That dude started hitting on my mom (with my dad next to my mom) putting his hand on her leg, etc. By the end of the game he rushed out on the field security guy in chase. Great picture of him eluding a 275 security guard.

Best part is I saw same dude on espn during basket season rush on to the court and do a layup during the Iowa Northwestern game

So what you are saying is that our fans are awesome.

Iowa does have a NC, shared might I add. :)

Yeah, OK. Like he said, Iowa has zero actual national championships. Between 1936-1998, there was one actual national championship - the AP. And since then, it's the BCS. Iowa has zero of either.

But congratulations on that Grantland Rice trophy.:rolleyes:

EDIT: I would also include the coaches' poll between 1950-1998.

I was at Senser's on Saturday during the Indiana/Iowa game.
A wonderful Hawkeye fan (without any instigation) taunted the entire restaurant when they made their big comeback.
He could not have acted like a bigger ass. After one touchdown he ran over to a table of eight (four adults and four little kids) and began shouting unintelligable garbage at them while clapping his hands in their faces. The sad thing was, these poor people weren't even watching a game. They were just sitting there eating lunch.
I did, however, have a great conversation with four MSU fans, who were quite excited about seeing our stadium. They were very classy and seemed to think the Gophers will soon get to a New Year's Day game.

I was at Senser's on Saturday during the Indiana/Iowa game.
A wonderful Hawkeye fan (without any instigation) taunted the entire restaurant when they made their big comeback.
He could not have acted like a bigger ass. After one touchdown he ran over to a table of eight (four adults and four little kids) and began shouting unintelligable garbage at them while clapping his hands in their faces. The sad thing was, these poor people weren't even watching a game. They were just sitting there eating lunch.
I did, however, have a great conversation with four MSU fans, who were quite excited about seeing our stadium. They were very classy and seemed to think the Gophers will soon get to a New Year's Day game.

That is what happens when you let them out of their cages.;)

Hilarious!

Similar experience. Went to the 94 game. A bunch of 20-ish guys in front of us drinking all game. One dressed in a gorilla suit with jungle print underwear and an Iowa flag around his neck. That dude started hitting on my mom (with my dad next to my mom) putting his hand on her leg, etc. By the end of the game he rushed out on the field security guy in chase. Great picture of him eluding a 275 security guard.

Best part is I saw same dude on espn during basket season rush on to the court and do a layup during the Iowa Northwestern game

That's hilarious! I have a couple comments:

1) "dressed in a gorilla suit" - Are you sure he wasn't just a highly evolved Iowa Fan?
2) "jungle print underwear and an Iowa flag around his neck" - Iowa's version of a fashion statement.
3) "hitting on my mom (with my dad next to my mom)" - Yikes! It doesn't get much worse than that. Tacky.

That post was hilarious. Perhaps out of this we can start a thread on manners for Iowa fans when travelling to Minnesota.

Tremendous!

I had totally forgotten that guy! I was sitting in the same section that guy was in (end zone near the tunnel?). They were unreal gassed... if I recall correctly, he also had some TV station name written on him too. Was there with my future wife and dad and I remember thinking at some point in the game that guy will do something very entertaining. Thankfully, he didn't disappoint. His sprint onto the field was hilarious. My last memory of that game was some dude about 50 looked square at my future wife with his chest puffed out post game and screamed "Looks like the Pig is going back to Iowa!" to which she very calmly replied... "of course you are". I already knew she was a keeper, but that pretty much iced it...

To assassian: Yes, the Gorilla guy IS awesome. The kid who used to wear the chicken suit to our games could've learned a thing or two from Gorilla guy. :D

We had Maroney and Barber ('05, I think) in the dome. We were running wild all year. After a run for no gain deep in our territory, an Iowa fan sitting behind us yells out, "Nowhere to run to, baby!!! Nowhere to hide!!!!"

Within 10 seconds Maroney ran for about 85 yards and the score. I just turned around shrugged my shoulders and asked, "Who knew?" Swear to God, he immediately spazzed. He was telling me to F off and the whole gamut. From that point on, I would turn to him with a puzzled look every time one of our runs would break.

We had Maroney and Barber ('05, I think) in the dome. We were running wild all year. After a run for no gain deep in our territory, an Iowa fan sitting behind us yells out, "Nowhere to run to, baby!!! Nowhere to hide!!!!"

Within 10 seconds Maroney ran for about 85 yards and the score. I just turned around shrugged my shoulders and asked, "Who knew?" Swear to God, he immediately spazzed. He was telling me to F off and the whole gamut. From that point on, I would turn to him with a puzzled look every time one of our runs would break.

not a hawkeye fan, but last year at camp randall some guy came up to me after the game and told me that "you gophers should go back to living in your holes."

i just looked him in the face and said "badgers live in holes as well." he put his head down and walked away.

Badger fans are arrogant, but iowa fans are ignorant and obnoxiuos.

One of my favorite sights of a hogeye fan was at Williams Arena. In the restroom before the game here is a hogeye with a iowa HOCKEY jersey on. I almost asked how their hockey team was doing.

Iowa has had a club hockey team for 30 + years: http://www.hawkeyeshockey.com/

Who's ignorant?

Any other Iowa Fan stories?

Here's a Minnesota fan story:
Considering my mother and father, sitting in their green & white, were welcomed to The Bank with unprovoked F-bombs by a few complete drunken idiots in Section 117, approximately rows 3-5 (as were 3 other MSU fans sitting quietly in our row), then subjected to constant taunting that forced us to sit somewhere else, I know my dad would have Minnesota somewhere near the bottom. He put Gopher fans in the same (bad) company as Ohio State & Wisconsin fans, though he admitted Wisconsin fans have been much better the last couple visits to Camp Randall.

He's been to all the stadiums, I haven't. He says Indiana, Iowa, Michigan and Purdue have always been good experiences, the home fans treat you right. He doesn't like Michigan (naturally), but he said the two places they can always count on being treated with respect and class are Michigan and Notre Dame. I was ashamed to be wearing maroon & gold last Saturday, quite frankly. I told the dufus he should be really proud of himself, swearing at and taunting a pair of retired folks in their early 70s.

I don't like anyone treating other teams' fans with disrespect.
They are our guests and we should treat them exactly the way we
would want to be treated if we were at their place.

It does go the other way. When other teams' fans come in, they
are guests and need to have fun and cheer on their team, but
I think taunting the home team fans and swearing at them is way
out of line. I think Iowa and Wisconsin tend to get out of line sometimes
because they typically bring in a lot of fans and they tend to think
Minnesota fans won't do anything and there is security in large numbers.

If I went to a game at Iowa or Wisconsin and was obnoxious to the other
teams fans, I would expect a beer shower or worse but I do not think I have ever seen
one of those showers go the other way. Usually the Gopher fans let them get
away with it except the student section maybe.

It's a little different now at TCF Stadium and we have a legitimate home field advantage
but I still don't want to see Gopher fans acting like jerks to the opposing fans.

not a hawkeye fan, but last year at camp randall some guy came up to me after the game and told me that "you gophers should go back to living in your holes."

i just looked him in the face and said "badgers live in holes as well." he put his head down and walked away.

The nickname badgers is from the miners who settled in SW Wisconsin and dug holes in the hillside for shelter rather than build a shelter. They were temporary homes, but I think that badger as a nickname based on that is pretty cool. However, most badger doofuses don't even know that. They taught me that in my Wisconsin elementary school. (I still live in WI).

At last year's "dome debacle", there was group of drunk Iowegians in front of us (hell, they were everywhere). Anyway, I had noticed this guy down at the concessions before going to my seat because he was soo drunk he couldn't stand and his buddy was keeping him upright. (he didn't even know where he was). Late in the game, this goof started taking pictures of anyone who was a gopher fan by shoving a camera in there face and being more obnoxious than he had been all game. People had to be restrained from beating him senseless, and I think some pitied him because he didn't even know where he was. After puking in a cup, he headed down the stairs from the upperdeck in the metrodome late in the game. He suddenly disappeared as this clown did a header down at least 6-10 flights of steps, - yes, Metrodome concrete steps! No one saw him again after that as I assume he was taken to a first-aid station. I guess his total inebriation helped him a little when preparing for the concrete header.

Top Bottom