Strange Iowa Fans - Can you top this?

Rescooter

Section 243
Reaction score
My daughter and I stopped in at Sally's for a Brew on Saturday afternoon. We wandered in and saw a group of Michigan State Fans at a table along with a couple people wearing Iowa Sweatshirts. Ok, it's Halloween and I can't think of a more scary costume than to be an Iowa Fan, so I approached them thinking it was a joke. I quickly found out it wasn't.

Our costume was a downloaded picture of Coach Brew that we put on the end of a stick and we were armed with a few choice Brewsterisms ("if you want some you gotta bring some, get your dad gum chili hot, etc, etc."). I commented on their scary costumes. They said the least I could do was to dress up as a "real coach". My daughter shot back and asked how their professional sports teams were doing? It was now "Game on".

After a few insults about "the whole 9-yards" criminal team to our south, I backed off and said that I knew someone that played for Ferenz and that he was a decent coach. They were not going to have any of it. He said they are Iowa transplants who hate the Gophers so much that they buy tickets to cheer against them. While I welcome the money they bring to the economy, their habit is annoying at best and psychotic at worst.

The final score: Minnesota 42 MSU and 2 idiots 34

Any other Iowa Fan stories?

December 30, 2002....My wife and I were driving back from a nice 29-14 victory over Arkansas (sorry DeltaHog) in the Music City Bowl. We were somewhere in rural Kentucky and stopped for a bite to eat at McDonalds. As we walk in a group of 5 Hawkeye fans (students) were walking out. They gave us some cr*p for being Gopher fans and bragged to us how they were on their way to the Orange Bowl. After wishing them well they took off and we walked inside. There were a couple workers sweeping up a big mess of food....french fries, spilled pop and tons of napkins were just littered all over the place. Turns out the Iowa fans had a food fight in the McDonalds and were kicked out by the manager. According to the lady and 8 year old girl we sat next to they were swearing up a storm too and told the lady to "F*** Off" when she asked them to stop swearing in front of her girl.

I don't think anyone can top my Iowa fans horror story: I have to live amongst them!!!!

I have posted this before but I got to be in on the immediate aftermath of the Lois Feldman bathroom visit. She and her new friend were being detained in the dome entryway on the NW side of the stadium. I got a play by play recount of the whole situation from an eager security guy. Two days later it showed up in the papers and the rest is history.

I have posted this before but I got to be in on the immediate aftermath of the Lois Feldman bathroom visit. She and her new friend were being detained in the dome entryway on the NW side of the stadium. I got a play by play recount of the whole situation from an eager security guy. Two days later it showed up in the papers and the rest is history.

After the game I witnessed a group of Iowa fans cursing and taunting at a family of gopher fans outside the dome kids were probably 5-10 or so, disgusting creatures hawkeye fans are.

My sister and I had a *gasp!* positive experience with an Iowa fan on Saturday night.

I had tickets to a concert, so I gave my football tickets to a friend and former player who hadn't been to TCF yet. Our server at the News Room was decked out in Hawkeye gear. When she saw we were there to watch the game she talked B10 football with us for a while. I mentioned that I'd be heading down to Iowa City in November. She gave me a list of 7-8 places to check out for game day and non-game day activities. I guess the possibility exists that she's sent me on a wild goose chase, but I'd like to think she was genuinely trying to help me out.

A super-nice Hawkeye fan. There's a first time for everything, right?

My sister and I had a *gasp!* positive experience with an Iowa fan on Saturday night.

I had tickets to a concert, so I gave my football tickets to a friend and former player who hadn't been to TCF yet. Our server at the News Room was decked out in Hawkeye gear. When she saw we were there to watch the game she talked B10 football with us for a while. I mentioned that I'd be heading down to Iowa City in November. She gave me a list of 7-8 places to check out for game day and non-game day activities. I guess the possibility exists that she's sent me on a wild goose chase, but I'd like to think she was genuinely trying to help me out.

A super-nice Hawkeye fan. There's a first time for everything, right?

If she told you to go to the Union, she is leading you down an ugly path.

If she told you Mickey's, the Airliner, or the Hamburg Inn, she is a helpful Hawkeye.

If she told you to go to the Union, she is leading you down an ugly path.

If she told you Mickey's, the Airliner, or the Hamburg Inn, she is a helpful Hawkeye.

Let's see:

The Vine - Good Wings
Mickey's Pub
Quentins
Sports Column
3rd Base
and Atlas for a nice dinner.

Let's see:

The Vine - Good Wings
Mickey's Pub
Quentins
Sports Column
3rd Base
and Atlas for a nice dinner.

SpoCo and The Fieldhouse (which is what everyone calls 3rd Base) are both awful unless you're underage and want somewhere where you'll be able to drink. Mickey's, the Vine, and the Airliner are all cool though.

About 12 years ago the Gophs played the Hawkeyes in the Metrodome. The Hawkeye fans were there in huge numbers, probably more than Gopher fans. The game was a complete Hawkeye rout. I forget the score, but they must have won by 30 points. On the way out, just before stepping into the revolving door, behind me, one wasted Hawkeye fan turned to the other and asked "Did we win???".

About 12 years ago the Gophs played the Hawkeyes in the Metrodome. The Hawkeye fans were there in huge numbers, probably more than Gopher fans. The game was a complete Hawkeye rout. I forget the score, but they must have won by 30 points. On the way out, just before stepping into the revolving door, behind me, one wasted Hawkeye fan turned to the other and asked "Did we win???".

2000: MN 27-24
1998: MN 49-7
1996: IA 43-24
1994: IA 49-42
1992: MN 28-13
1990: MN 31-24

Must have been 1996....but that wasn't quit that big of a route. That game was 17-17 with 3 min left in the 3rd. I remember this game because it was the first year I had season tickets and it was the first time I had been to an Iowa game. The Gophers were down 17-0 and battled back to tie it. Late in the 3rd Iowa got a defensive TD and a safety within a minute. When we punted to Iowa on the free kick Tim Dwight scored on a big bomb shortly thereafter and the wheels had come off.

So my off the cuff memory is off by 1 year and 11 points. BFD. Did you get the point or not?

My daughter and I stopped in at Sally's for a Brew on Saturday afternoon. We wandered in and saw a group of Michigan State Fans at a table along with a couple people wearing Iowa Sweatshirts. Ok, it's Halloween and I can't think of a more scary costume than to be an Iowa Fan, so I approached them thinking it was a joke. I quickly found out it wasn't.

Our costume was a downloaded picture of Coach Brew that we put on the end of a stick and we were armed with a few choice Brewsterisms ("if you want some you gotta bring some, get your dad gum chili hot, etc, etc."). I commented on their scary costumes. They said the least I could do was to dress up as a "real coach". My daughter shot back and asked how their professional sports teams were doing? It was now "Game on".

After a few insults about "the whole 9-yards" criminal team to our south, I backed off and said that I knew someone that played for Ferenz and that he was a decent coach. They were not going to have any of it. He said they are Iowa transplants who hate the Gophers so much that they buy tickets to cheer against them. While I welcome the money they bring to the economy, their habit is annoying at best and psychotic at worst.

The final score: Minnesota 42 MSU and 2 idiots 34

Any other Iowa Fan stories?

all you needed to say to this iowee hogeye and his girl (she was heavy set i assume?) was the following: GET A F-ING LIFE, YOU LOSER!

his wife must have been aiming really high when she found him! guessing it goes something like this in their house every year: "hey honey what are the plans for our anniversary this year? a little trip to the carribean? maybe a trip up to the north shore and duluth? a little messing around? no, no, no. i thought we would go sit in the stadium of a team that we don't even support for three hours just because i am a giant ioweee hogeye d-bag. and i had to move to minneapolis for the shot at a legit career. btw - happy anniversary honey! aren't i a great catch?!?!" :rolleyes:

Iowa Fans are a different breed

Not sure why but I think what sets them apart is the fact that there is no real middle ground. My interactions with Iowa fans is never along the lines of, "oh nice folks", its always one extreme or another.

The very worst fans I've ever had the misfortune to come across were their fans at the 2002 game at the dome. They started out in the tailgate lot as obnoxious asses and simply got worse as the day went on. About 20 minutes before kickoff, my pregnant wife and her sister (who weighs about 95 lbs soaking wet) walked over to the porta's to take care of some urgent business that popped up as expectant mothers often need to. On their way, they were some d bag tosses a cup of beer at them and screams "Go home fat arse!" at my wife. When they came back and told our tailgate what happened, myself and a friend went looking for them, but they had left to go into the game. Inside the game, I had a middle aged guy across the row (I was on the aisle) scream at me to shut up when I cheered the Gophers early (not much to cheer about late), and when we stayed for the end of the game some prick and his buddys come down from the upper deck and literally stand in front of us for remainder of the game while talking about how the dome "is their house". The following spring, I actually had a Hawkeye fan tell me they had over 70,000 fans in the dome, and he was dead serious. When I informed him that that was mathematically impossible since the dome doesn't seat 70K, he proceeded to tell me that "well, it was at least 60,000!". My vote for second worst was the 1998 game when some old hag from Iowa screamed in my face as the Gophers rolled over Iowa. She proceeded to lecture me on how we shouldn't be running up the score and that Hayden Fry was the greatest sportsman in the history of football and would never stoop to running up the score. Crazy.

That story aside, some of the very best fans we've run across were the Iowa fans at the 2004 game. We set up tailgate in a lot on Washington and a motorhome with a bunch of Hawk fans from Iowa Falls showed up and proceeded to let us use the facilities in their motorhome all day as well as partied with us both pre and post game. We also ran into some very classy Hawk fans post game as well. We also had very good experiences with their fans at the 2006 game as well, ended up having some random Hawk fans tailgate with us in the freezing cold.

I think some of the issue is with those that live here versus those that travel here. Our experience is that those who travel are generally more friendly and like to talk about the game and teams and also like some good natured back and forth. Those that live here go to 1 game every other year seem to think its their one chance to go nuts and pound their chests. They also seem offended or confused that the world here doesn't revolve around Iowa football. The same applies to UW although to a much lesser extend in my experiences. Don't know why.

Put this one in the good-natured, but ouch, category. Friday night before Halloween I am at a neighbor's party. Two Iowa fans, they are a married couple, show up in the following costume: she is wearing black and gold Hogeye gear head to foot with a sign that reads "55" on her back. He is wearing Gopher maroon and gold with Ace bandages, his arm in a sling, and sporting a crutch...with a sign that reads "0" on his back. Nice.

Hey Rescooter, I'm pretty sure I saw you at Sally's saturday. I also was wearing a Brewster mask and we compared each others by the port-o-potties.

Excellent stories all around.

A friend of mine was down in Iowa City for halloween last year. He was at a party and this kid's dressed in basketball shorts and a jersey. So my friend says to him something like 'so you're a basketball player for halloween.' The unbelievable red neck replies "no, I'm going as an n-word for halloween."

Stay classy Iowa!

So, in 2003, a group of us headed down to Iowa City for Gophers-Hawkeyes. We had tickets within the Gopher section, but by our luck a group of three in front of us was cheering for the Iowa.

These folks were even more back-woodsy than even the most Iowa folk. Real signs of snoose running down both sides of the mouth, if you can catch my drift.

Anyways, Iowa scored first, but the Gophers came back down and scored as well. As most Gopher fans do after a scoring drive, we sang the Rouser, ending the song with an emphatic M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A! Chant.

This brought HOWLS of laughter from all three of these folks. We were wildly confused by this, and even though we knew better than to ask, curiosity got the best of us, so we inquired as to why they thought the Rouser was so hilarious...their answer was classic...

"YOU GUYS GOT TOO MANY LETTERS IN YOUR NAME! HEH, HEH, HEH"

This, alone, makes the story pretty hard to beat...except for what actually happened at the game later on. As many of you know, several times during the game the Iowa cheer squad will disperse four giant flags, one in each corner of the stadium, each with a letter of their state name. However, in an ironic twist of fate, and much to our enjoyment, as the chant began, we knew we had gotten the last laugh. In fact, I can still hear the chanting of 70,000 fans at Kinnick Stadium, and each time I think about it, I smile, realizing why the three folks in front of us thought that nine letters in our name was far too many for a chant...

"I! W! O! A! I! W! O! A!"

Iowa Fan memories -- Running onto the field.

I don't remember the year, 90s (probably '96), but one guy came out of the end zone ran to mid field and back without getting caught. I think later in that same game, a guy in an elaborate Hawkeye/glider contraption ran onto the field. Icarus ended up on the front page of the paper and in jail probably. I have to say, I was, in my younger years, pretty impressed by these antics.

Recently I was thumbing through a coffee table book in which a photographer went to some podunk Iowa town in the 80s and photographed the entire populace. There were lots of folks in Hawkeye's gear, which I think speaks volumes about their fan base. Your average gopher fan lives in the Twin Cities area and/or probably went to the U. A lot of Iowa fans are not alums and reside throughout the state. I think when you live in homogenous communities you tend to believe that yours is the one true way of life. We're really talking about a cultural struggle-- the urban versus the rural. A lot of irrational fear and hatred goes into much of their vitriol. I admire their loyalty, but you'd think they invented it the way they act sometimes.

You guys need help. There is a thread daily hating on Iowa. I know pantherhawk*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# gets you guys worked up but remember he's a minority in our fanbase. The majority are nice, civil fans who care about our team. Good luck this week, I always love to see Illannoy lose!

There is a thread daily hating on Iowa.

And why the hell wouldn't there be? This is a Minnesota fan board! Go to hawkfans.com if you don't like it!

Can I get a...

WHO HATES IOWA???

If you saw an Old Fart running around like a college kid

Hey Rescooter, I'm pretty sure I saw you at Sally's saturday. I also was wearing a Brewster mask and we compared each others by the port-o-potties.

Excellent stories all around.

A friend of mine was down in Iowa City for halloween last year. He was at a party and this kid's dressed in basketball shorts and a jersey. So my friend says to him something like 'so you're a basketball player for halloween.' The unbelievable red neck replies "no, I'm going as an n-word for halloween."

Stay classy Iowa!

... then yes it was me. Not only was my chili hot, but I'd had several Bloody Mary's and lots of Summit.

You guys need help. There is a thread daily hating on Iowa. I know pantherhawk*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# gets you guys worked up but remember he's a minority in our fanbase. The majority are nice, civil fans who care about our team. Good luck this week, I always love to see Illannoy lose!

You're way off, there is at least 3 per day. Really if you go back and look, I bet half of the threads on here are about iowa.

Badger fans are arrogant, but iowa fans are ignorant and obnoxiuos.

One of my favorite sights of a hogeye fan was at Williams Arena. In the restroom before the game here is a hogeye with a iowa HOCKEY jersey on. I almost asked how their hockey team was doing.

I was at my uncles farm one day and all his sheep had their rearends up against the fence. I asked him why? He said the sheep heard the iowa football team was going through town!

I guess I think it's funny you guys are so infatuated with Iowa. But that's what happens when you're the "worst 7-0 B10 team in history" and you have no business being in the top 5. I'll take that as well as being 9-0 any time!

I guess I think it's funny you guys are so infatuated with Iowa. But that's what happens when you're the "worst 7-0 B10 team in history" and you have no business being in the top 5. I'll take that as well as being 9-0 any time!

how many minnesota fans regularly post on hawkeye boards? cause there are at least a half a dozen iowa fans that post here regularly. that, along with the half a dozen badger fans that also post here regularly, and i would say that, oddly enough, it is badger and hawk fans that are infatuated with the gophers.

but then again, i suppose you want to see how fans of a team with actual NCs conduct themselves

Iowa does have a NC, shared might I add. :) But I typically tend to stay away from the mud slinging and I just like to talk football. You guys can go ahead and bash Iowa all you want, not my problem, your board. I just enjoy talking with other fans other than Iowa fans.

how many minnesota fans regularly post on hawkeye boards? cause there are at least a half a dozen iowa fans that post here regularly. that, along with the half a dozen badger fans that also post here regularly, and i would say that, oddly enough, it is badger and hawk fans that are infatuated with the gophers.

but then again, i suppose you want to see how fans of a team with actual NCs conduct themselves

Don't know, but there are a few. DL65 and STPGopher from this board have on occasion made regular postings on the Iowa rivals board. Gopher Rube I think has a premium membership on the Iowa board. All good posters. There are a few that like to make trouble as well, but nothing like Panther.

Iowa Fan memories -- Running onto the field.

I don't remember the year, 90s (probably '96), but one guy came out of the end zone ran to mid field and back without getting caught. I think later in that same game, a guy in an elaborate Hawkeye/glider contraption ran onto the field. Icarus ended up on the front page of the paper and in jail probably. I have to say, I was, in my younger years, pretty impressed by these antics.

Similar experience. Went to the 94 game. A bunch of 20-ish guys in front of us drinking all game. One dressed in a gorilla suit with jungle print underwear and an Iowa flag around his neck. That dude started hitting on my mom (with my dad next to my mom) putting his hand on her leg, etc. By the end of the game he rushed out on the field security guy in chase. Great picture of him eluding a 275 security guard.

Best part is I saw same dude on espn during basket season rush on to the court and do a layup during the Iowa Northwestern game

Top Bottom