Strack: Do Not Rule Eric Musselman Out as Next Gophers MBB Coach

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Strack:

Eric Musselman’s past interest in Gophers MBB head coaching job​

Throughout his coaching career, which has mostly been at the pro level (NBA, D-League, CBA, USBA), Eric Musselman has expressed interest in an eventual return to the state he grew up in. Musselman has been a candidate/finalist during the last two Gopher MBB coaching searches.

A decade ago (2013), when Tubby Smith was fired, Musselman was one of the last candidates standing before then Athletic Director, Norwood Teague, hired Richard Pitino.

By the time Pitino was fired in 2021, Musselman already had two seasons and an Elite Eight run under his belt at Arkansas. That, combined with his success at Nevada, made Musselman one of the most expensive and well-known candidates AD Mark Coyle was considering at the time.

Still, if Minnesota was willing to pay his buyout and a similar salary, Musselman was legitimately interested. Instead, Coyle hired the cheapest and least-known candidate, Ben Johnson, another homegrown kid (DeLaSalle) and Xavier assistant who had zero head coaching experience.

Go Gophers!!

We can definitely get a name coach to be the next Gopher coach. For some it would be a decent raise even without bumping Ben's rate a great deal or at all. Musselman, we would certainly need to pay as much as Arkansas and hope he really would like to follow his Dad as his motive.

Dutcher, I dunno, we crapped on him pretty good and he's 3 years older. His dad was probably a big part of the why he wants or wanted to be the Gopher coach. Could see that diminished as his dad has gotten older and San Diego weather is probably growing more of an "I like it here" vibe.

I think Coyle has his mid major list he is monitoring. We are not auditioning anybody likely to take Ben's job with our preseason schedule. Unbelievable....that should be reason one he has to be replaced. You can't be bad AND give the fans nobody on the preseason schedule. And don't put yourself in the position that you gotta cancel games with better teams because you only want as close as you can get to guaranteed wins opponents. The philosophy is just really poor from so many ways....challenge, competition, measuring stick, self scouting discovery, fans, the message to your players etc etc

I like Musselman and the Gophers would obviously take him in a heartbeat. I do sense he probably wears on Admin and perhaps even the fan base a bit. He's like Fleck on speed. Perhaps he knows this as well and might be ready to move on after 4-5 years at Arkansas. I also doubt he'd say here for much longer than that, but I'd take it.

Get over it people. Musselman was not a serious candidate for the Minnesota coaching job because Arkansas was way ahead of Minnesota in recruiting him. Furthermore, he inherited a stronger nucleus of players than he would of had at Minnesota. The Razorback foundation also has lots of money and is active. Money will not draw him to Minnesota and I don't think his Minnesota roots will do it either. The only way he would be interested in the Gopher job is that he bombs out at Arkansas and needs a parachute. He is more likely to jump to a big name program if he feels that he can't achieve what he wants at Arkansas.

signed: Gopher living in Arkansas

He could, but I do think there is a possibility with another last place finish he still gets year four...which will make it seem like 25 years.
If he finishes last he has to be done. There needs to be a measurable sign of improvement.

I like Musselman and the Gophers would obviously take him in a heartbeat. I do sense he probably wears on Admin and perhaps even the fan base a bit. He's like Fleck on speed. Perhaps he knows this as well and might be ready to move on after 4-5 years at Arkansas. I also doubt he'd say here for much longer than that, but I'd take it.
I think I saw Fleck on Speed perform at Palmer's Bar once.

If he finishes last he has to be done. There needs to be a measurable sign of improvement.
I think the touchy question is, what if the Gophers finish 12th or 13th? Is that improvement enough? Worth noting: the guy we fired has the Lobos in some people's preseason top 25.

I think the touchy question is, what if the Gophers finish 12th or 13th? Is that improvement enough? Worth noting: the guy we fired has the Lobos in some people's preseason top 25.
The Lobos were the last undefeated team last season and were in the top 25 but did not make the tournament. Is that what we want to go back to? We tried the new up-and-coming coach from Gonzaga in Monson. We tried the coach with all the credentials in Tubby. We tried the coach with the big last name in Patino all it gave us his 22 years of bullshit so they went with a young hungry coach with home state ties, I don’t know if it was a good idea or not yet but don’t second-guess getting rid of Patino. It wasn’t gonna happen here.

Good, this program needs a basketball-PJ to elevate us to where we want to be.

The Lobos were the last undefeated team last season and were in the top 25 but did not make the tournament. Is that what we want to go back to? We tried the new up-and-coming coach from Gonzaga in Monson. We tried the coach with all the credentials in Tubby. We tried the coach with the big last name in Patino all it gave us his 22 years of bullshit so they went with a young hungry coach with home state ties, I don’t know if it was a good idea or not yet but don’t second-guess getting rid of Patino. It wasn’t gonna happen here.
Who's Patino?

If a coaching change is made in the near future and Musselman is legitimately interested in this job if the U wants to be taken seriously you find the money however you can to make it happen.

I heard that the roster in 2048 is gonna be one of the most talented we have seen in a long time and will turn the program around.
Seems like a certainty!!! But, I’m probably going to have to take your word for it. Plus 25 years might be too long for me to wait? 🤔🥺😎

😂
If finishing 13th in year 3 is enough, just shut it down

Ben played on one of the worst big ten teams in this century.

hey - if you actually read the article linked to the OP - the statement that Musselman would be interested in the U of MN comes from.............................wait for it........................................

A Charley Walters column in the Pioneer Press.

that was the "source" for the story.

With the Joke ‘23-24 Non-Conference (D2) Schedule >> 8-4 ish into B10 play, then 2-3 Win B10 Season, SO >> 11-19-ish and we will be told by A.D., “it’ll be one more year or else”……. (in the guise to save money from mistakes made)
HENCE, YES, HIRE MUSSELMAN TONIGHT!!!
Sell a $10 ticket!! WIN GAMES! Make it Fun!!
People are so Super Craving In This Town for a SG or PF that doesn’t make $550K / game!! (TW’s)

Last edited:

Top Bottom