Spring Practice: Speculation, Observation, Rumination

Tanner is the odds on favorite to continue his run as the starter for the Gophers. But nothing is guaranteed to him. Fleck is clearly all in on 2021 so he will 100% play the QB he feels will give the team the best chance to win games. If at some point that looks to be Zac or one of the other QBs, they will play.

Tanner is the clear #1 guy as a multi year starter with one fabulous season under his belt. But 2020 showed that he isn't perfect so while I would be surprised to see anyone else under center if Morgan is healthy, it could certainly happen.
Faltering by either injury or bad play is not an option. The competition is stiff at QB. I hear a lot about Kramer and Annexstad. Not so much with Clark. I wonder if someone in the QB Room will enter the Transfer Portal down the road. With Kaliakmanis on board, someone who wants playing time will take the opportunity to be a starter elsewhere. I would think Morgan and Annexstad are close to getting their undergraduate degrees. Kramer, and Clark maybe also close if they took summer classes.

Faltering by either injury or bad play is not an option. The competition is stiff at QB. I hear a lot about Kramer and Annexstad. Not so much with Clark. I wonder if someone in the QB Room will enter the Transfer Portal down the road. With Kaliakmanis on board, someone who wants playing time will take the opportunity to be a starter elsewhere. I would think Morgan and Annexstad are close to getting their undergraduate degrees. Kramer, and Clark maybe also close if they took summer classes.

That would almost be expected. The QB room will be very crowded if nobody transfers

That would almost be expected. The QB room will be very crowded if nobody transfers
There always seems to be speculation on QBs transferring but so far has not happened. Odds are good it might at some point but it all really depends on how much the players are motivated to take a potential step down in school in order to play.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the remaining eligibility for each QB right?

Morgan 2 years (RS 2017; played 6 or more games 2018, 2019, 2020; remaining eligibility 2021 + Covid year)
Annexstad 3 years (Played 6 games 2018; out 2019 w/Injury and < 6 games (if any) in 2020; remaining eligibility 2021, 2022 + Covid year)
Clark/Kramer 4 years (< 6 games in 2019 and 2020, remaining eligibility 2021, 2022, 2023 + Covid year
Kaliakmanis 4 years remaining eligibilty 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024, 2025 (if RS freshmen year)

Given this, I expect Clark or Kramer (whoever ends up 4th string) to transfer after spring ball (or after the 2021 season if not). If Morgan wins starter this year and has an amazing season (like 2019 or better) I could see him flirt with the draft or finish his eligibility. I think Annexstad is probably backup at the moment. I could see him transfer after the 2021 season if Morgan stays for 2022 and Annexstad wants to guaranteed play 2 years as starter. If Morgan leaves or Annexstad is okay with competing for starter throughout his eligibility, I expect he stays.

Whoever out of Clark/Kramer doesn't transfer I could see staying until at least after the 2022 season. At that point if Annexstad hasn't transfered I would expect a 3 way competition if Morgan didn't leave after 2021.

I guess this was a long winded way to say we have ample QB talent (though 5 scholarship QBs seems a bit crowded, hence my prediction of a Clark/Kramer transfer) and I can't wait to see how the competition shapes up this year and next.

Playing TE on the Maroon team according to the spring draft lists, wonder if they're trying him out there before making a full determination.
He's got the size.

I don't hear much about Kramer. No more or less than about Clark.

In regards to transfers, you have to remember.... it's not everyone's expectation or dream to play in the NFL. Some of these kids just love being part of the team and see it as a means to an end via fully or partially paid tuition at a great university in a city full of great companies. All the while being able to say they were a QB at the U when interviewing with a local company. Football isn't everything for everyone.

Top Bottom