South Dakota State 27 - North Dakota State 17 BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

PJ had zero qb talent when he signed on. Meaning PJ couldn’t take dice roll on qb.

Because the JD Spielman ship has sailed, and St. Thomas football can no longer destroy teams from tiny liberal arts colleges throughout Minnesota.
SJU>UST football. Facts are facts. JD gonna be a gopher tho. Just you wait.

For all those who obviously don't care:

SDSU's prize for winning that conference (from beating NDSU) is the #1 seed in the playoffs, with the first round played on Apr 24th (games should be on ESPN 3, which you have to use the streaming app to watch, I believe).

NDSU and UND are also both hosting first round games, but were unseeded.

This was Fleck's first year here? Wonder if Lance would have gotten a better look if Fleck had been here for a year and had a little more time to evaluate.

Yep. It happens. He was an ordinary HS qb that would have been a big gamble. We rolled the dice and lost.
My only surprise would be that we did not allow him to come in as a QB, and move to safety if/when things did not work out. Kid was certainly athletic....fun to get those guys in and let things play out.

So was not offering Adam Theilen a bone head move as well? You're going to get those sleepers who jell in College after a couple years. Is Lance going to play for ND for 4 years? Is Lance good? Yes in my opinion, but I'd rather have Morgan for 4 years for consistency and leadership.
The 2019 Morgan... absolutely. The 2020 Morgan......ugh, no! That's why 2021 is the barometer for the Gopher QB,

My only surprise would be that we did not allow him to come in as a QB, and move to safety if/when things did not work out. Kid was certainly athletic....fun to get those guys in and let things play out.
Kill would have done that. PJ doesn't seem to do the position switching as much.

If this site is correct, his high school qb stats were nothing special. Not shocked he didn't have a ton of high level offers.
Stats aren't "special" because Marshall was routinely up 5 or 6 scores at halftime. Lance would rarely see the field in 2nd half and if he did, not exactly throwing the ball up 40.

Also the running back on that team (Jefferson Lee V, South Dakota State) ended up with over 100 career touchdowns, which cut into Lance's numbers.

Lance was very much interested in Gophers his Junior season when Claeys was head coach and fellow Marshall teammates Drew Hmielewski already on team and Blaise Andries graduating and incoming as well. Claeys was recruiting him as QB.

When Fleck was hired in January 2017, he saw Lance as a safety. My take is that the coaches preferred Brennan Armstrong and got their guy when Armstrong committed mid February - coincidentally(?) the same day Lance was visiting U for Junior day.

Unfortunately, that went south later in the fall when Armstrong and U had a falling out. Lance had already been committed to NDSU since May, so that ship had pretty much sailed. Finding a QB that late in the game is a tough spot to be in.

HOWEVER, Fleck was able to turn chicken sh*t into chicken soup by grabbing Zack Annexstad (and then by association Dunlap and Faalele). It's an interesting exercise....would you trade Dunlap, Faaele and bench Morgan in exchange for Lance (and knowing he'd go into 2021 NFL Draft)?

There’s no way of knowing if Lance would have even seen the field had he come here.

Stats aren't "special" because Marshall was routinely up 5 or 6 scores at halftime. Lance would rarely see the field in 2nd half and if he did, not exactly throwing the ball up 40.

Also the running back on that team (Jefferson Lee V, South Dakota State) ended up with over 100 career touchdowns, which cut into Lance's numbers.

Lance was very much interested in Gophers his Junior season when Claeys was head coach and fellow Marshall teammates Drew Hmielewski already on team and Blaise Andries graduating and incoming as well. Claeys was recruiting him as QB.

When Fleck was hired in January 2017, he saw Lance as a safety. My take is that the coaches preferred Brennan Armstrong and got their guy when Armstrong committed mid February - coincidentally(?) the same day Lance was visiting U for Junior day.

Unfortunately, that went south later in the fall when Armstrong and U had a falling out. Lance had already been committed to NDSU since May, so that ship had pretty much sailed. Finding a QB that late in the game is a tough spot to be in.

HOWEVER, Fleck was able to turn chicken sh*t into chicken soup by grabbing Zack Annexstad (and then by association Dunlap and Faalele). It's an interesting exercise....would you trade Dunlap, Faaele and bench Morgan in exchange for Lance (and knowing he'd go into 2021 NFL Draft)?
I can see why Lance's HS yard totals would be skewed by not playing in the 2nd half, but did that affect his completion percentage too?

I don't really care what Lance's draft stock is. I think he will be an NFL bust. I think he's way overrated. I could be wrong, but that's how I see it.

I'm glad we have Tanner, Dunlap, and Faalele. Would Lance have made all the throws Tanner made in 2019?

I can see why Lance's HS yard totals would be skewed by not playing in the 2nd half, but did that affect his completion percentage too?

I don't really care what Lance's draft stock is. I think he will be an NFL bust. I think he's way overrated. I could be wrong, but that's how I see it.

I'm glad we have Tanner, Dunlap, and Faalele. Would Lance have made all the throws Tanner made in 2019?

My apologies, I did not click on that MaxPreps link until now. It is woefully incomplete and is missing about half his career games/stats.

I attended many Marshall games during his time there. A lot of his throws were downfield. Completion percentage by itself is a junk statistic unless you take into account what types of throws are being made, as well as the play of the receivers.

Kill would have done that. PJ doesn't seem to do the position switching as much.
Thing is, if Lance had come to MN, would he have won the job as a RS Frosh w zero experience? Would he be on the same trajectory? Likely no.

He bet on himself and beat the house. Good for him. Moving on

My apologies, I did not click on that MaxPreps link until now. It is woefully incomplete and is missing about half his career games/stats.

I attended many Marshall games during his time there. A lot of his throws were downfield. Completion percentage by itself is a junk statistic unless you take into account what types of throws are being made, as well as the play of the receivers.
I have read that in his pro scouting report as well as his college recruiting profile....needs to improve accuracy. It seems to be consistent. Also would seem that a quarterback coach could help that.

I have read that in his pro scouting report as well as his college recruiting profile....needs to improve accuracy. It seems to be consistent. Also would seem that a quarterback coach could help that.
Quarterback coaches can only do so much.

Is it something he needs to improve? Absolutely. Hardpressed to find a QB that doesn't need to get better at that however.

For reference.

Delete this thread. Has nothing to do with the Minnesota or anything to do with state.

Quarterback coaches can only do so much.
Very true. What I kept coming back to was Josh Allen's bio while at Wyoming...same thing for him. Measurables are first round material but he was wildly inaccurate at times in college with a 56% completion percentage over his last two years. First year in Buffalo...58.8%. Last year...69.2%. Getting him in a system where they put him in position to make the throws he is capable of making and working to improve his throwing mechanics have paid off. I also watched some games this year where he again wildly missed open receivers so it is still clearly a work in process.

Very true. What I kept coming back to was Josh Allen's bio while at Wyoming...same thing for him. Measurables are first round material but he was wildly inaccurate at times in college with a 56% completion percentage over his last two years. First year in Buffalo...58.8%. Last year...69.2%. Getting him in a system where they put him in position to make the throws he is capable of making and working to improve his throwing mechanics have paid off. I also watched some games this year where he again wildly missed open receivers so it is still clearly a work in process.
They went out and got him Stefon Diggs. That is a nice to have. A guy who will turn some of your incompletions into completions.

They went out and got him Stefon Diggs. That is a nice to have. A guy who will turn some of your incompletions into completions.
Yes...the day Allen found out about that trade had to be like Christmas morning to him. Diggs will make Allen a lot of money.

While you aren't wrong on his % and that it was, in fact, a problem, Josh Allen was surrounded by one of the worst offensive football teams you can imagine. Horrible offensive game plans/coordinator coupled with zero receiving talent did him no favors. Bohl took way too long pulling the trigger with Vigen. As you can see with Diggs, better players all around make a large difference.

Fair enough but by all accounts we were his realistic dream school. He was in our backyard. Everyone misses hundreds of guys all over America every cycle because you can't recruit and sign everyone, but it sounds like the Gophers took a good long look at him and missed on their evaluation. Enough to let him walk and go somewhere else because they thought he wasn't a quarterback.
Hindsight is 20/20.

Personally I blame fmlizard for not showing Fleck their crystal ball and how all power 5 coaches got it wrong. They should have seen Trey Lance talents in advance. Of course Trey Lance numbers vs New Hampshire would translate into success in the big ten 🙄

Horrible offensive game plans/coordinator coupled with zero receiving talent did him no favors. Bohl took way too long pulling the trigger with Vigen.
Vigen left voluntarily to become head coach at Montana State.

Polasek should be very much the same style. They were both NDSU guys with Bohl.

Vigen left voluntarily to become head coach at Montana State.

Polasek should be very much the same style. They were both NDSU guys with Bohl.
He left voluntarily like Pitino left voluntarily. Bohl's right hand man for many years, and this exit suited both of them.

Top Bottom