South Dakota State 27 - North Dakota State 17 BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Why do people on this board care so much about NDSU?
Do they?

I think NDSU fans see themselves relative to the Gophers in the same way that Boise St fans see themselves relative to the northwest PAC-12 schools.

Why do people on this board care so much about NDSU?

Probably because they recruit Minnesota the best of any school, including the U of Minnesota.

I still haven't heard the story on why the Gophers didn't sniff at Marshall, MN product Trey Lance, who apparently has the skills to be a top 10 pick after quarterbacking a dozen games at the FCS level.

Probably because they recruit Minnesota the best of any school, including the U of Minnesota.

I still haven't heard the story on why the Gophers didn't sniff at Marshall, MN product Trey Lance, who apparently has the skills to be a top 10 pick after quarterbacking a dozen games at the FCS level.
Same reason no one else did in the big ten, SEC, Big 12, ACC, Pac 12

In retrospect, should have. I blame him for developing

It is the off season for football and people are bored.

By the way, the loss ended the (at the time) longest active home winning streak in DI (FBS & FCS combined), at 32 games, and which was the fourth longest overall in FCS history.

It's all relative to how annoying/delusional the fan base is.
There has been two threads strictly about their losses so far this season. I don’t pay any attention to them. I didn’t even know they were playing until I saw a thread about them.

Actually, I just did some googling and found that Fleck did recruit Lance in his first year, but offered him as a safety. This may go down as the biggest bonehead move from PJF thus far.
If this site is correct, his high school qb stats were nothing special. Not shocked he didn't have a ton of high level offers.

As an SDSU graduate we hated USD (like Wisconsin) the most and NDSU (like Iowa) as number 2. I was shocked by the football score but I guess they stopped and completed their schedule in the spring!

SDSU recruits more Iowa and Nebraska.

Go Jackrabbits!

Actually, I just did some googling and found that Fleck did recruit Lance in his first year, but offered him as a safety. This may go down as the biggest bonehead move from PJF thus far.

How many other BCS programs offered Lance as a QB? Or just offered period? Looking at his 247 Sports profile no BCS program did.

If this is a bonehead move by Fleck, it's shared by Iowa, Wisconsin, Wyoming, NE and every other BCS program.

Nearly, if not all, of the NDSU players that people scream "Why didn't Minnesota take him!?!" are players that no other BCS program offered. Sometimes they had players already and often, like many good players at the level, the BCS school couldn't get them in.

That's helped NDSU the same way it helped Youngstown State for years.

Last edited:

You complain he was overlooked and then the biggest mistake was recruiting him?
I'm pretty stoked if missing on one sleeper recruit is the biggest bone head move our coach has made in four years.
Recruiting him as a safety and not a QB. Lance will likely be the highest drafted QB the state has ever produced and on only a season of FCS work. That's nearly impossible to do and virtually unprecedented. That means a LOT of natural talent pro evaluators see was missed here.

I'm not in the anti-Fleck camp by any means, but this was a talent evaluation goof by him and his staff.

Recruiting him as a safety and not a QB. Lance will likely be the highest drafted QB the state has ever produced and on only a season of FCS work. That's nearly impossible to do and virtually unprecedented. That means a LOT of natural talent pro evaluators see was missed here.

I'm not in the anti-Fleck camp by any means, but this was a talent evaluation goof by him and his staff.
Did you see his high school stats?

No doubt. Minnesota and 130 other FBS schools should’ve recruited him as a QB.

So was not offering Adam Theilen a bone head move as well? You're going to get those sleepers who jell in College after a couple years. Is Lance going to play for ND for 4 years? Is Lance good? Yes in my opinion, but I'd rather have Morgan for 4 years for consistency and leadership.

No doubt. Minnesota and 130 other FBS schools should’ve recruited him as a QB.
Fair enough but by all accounts we were his realistic dream school. He was in our backyard. Everyone misses hundreds of guys all over America every cycle because you can't recruit and sign everyone, but it sounds like the Gophers took a good long look at him and missed on their evaluation. Enough to let him walk and go somewhere else because they thought he wasn't a quarterback.

Fair enough but by all accounts we were his realistic dream school. He was in our backyard. Everyone misses hundreds of guys all over America every cycle because you can't recruit and sign everyone, but it sounds like the Gophers took a good long look at him and missed on their evaluation. Enough to let him walk and go somewhere else because they thought he wasn't a quarterback.
Yep. It happens. He was an ordinary HS qb that would have been a big gamble. We rolled the dice and lost.

Yep. It happens. He was an ordinary HS qb that would have been a big gamble. We rolled the dice and lost.
And ... everyone else who didn't pick him up who had a worse QB ... also missed out.

AKA... most teams.

Top Bottom