Souhan on Tubby: "He's a finger-pointer of the first degree...He must go."

Interesting article. Certainly top 100 players arrive with the high expectation of the red carpet threatment. If something goes wrong - they may well transfer based on failed expectations. So we know this: Almost 25% of all top 100 players transfer. Some of them transfer due to coaching changes- the coach that recruited them leaves. So now we are at some lesser percentage that transfer if the coach stays. So let's put that number at 15 to 20 %. How many top 100's has Tubby recruited and how many have left. How does that percentage compare to the average?

Royce, Colton, Devoe, and Cobbs were either top 100 or right around there.

Have you ever noticed that Bleed (providing a wonderful service with all these links) usually posts just a link for most stories (see his SI or ESPN link today). But with Souhan he usually provides a few sentences because he realizes that so few people with click the link because they don't want Souhan to garner any more clicks?

Why do you think that is? Because most readers and posters here know how horrible he is as a writer, and speaking for myself, how horrible I imagine his life is.

Hitler was a horrible human being. That wouldn't make him wrong if he said the sun rises in the east. Killing the messenger doesn't change the fact that the Tubster has no rival in buck passing, and has always refused to take the respsonsibility that any coach would automatically assume.

savagerube said:
Similar to GophersinIowa, I am not saying your wrong either. Do you have names of the aforementioned players? I was unaware that he had some many transfers of such high caliber players. If true, which your saying it is, that is pretty shocking.

If I recall correctly, it is true, however a few of them were "asked to leave" as well for various reasons. I believe there was a car incident at some point? (drunk driving or just an accident maybe?) he kicked players off the team at one point that were nicknamed "team turmoil" for multiple legal transgressions.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/college/news/2002/02/22/kentucky_players_ap/

Not an expert in this by any means, just trying to recall from memory.

Maybe Tubby lacks control of players? Gives them too much freedom? But then everyone talks about what a controlling guy he is, so I have no clue.

Then there is also these quotes from Gerald Fitch (who many say, okay one person, hated Tubby even though Tubby like him)

"There was the time he got into a fight with teammate Cory Sears on a team flight. Everyone found out. And the time he was busted trying to get into a Lexington, Ky., nightclub with a fake ID. And the missed curfew. All of that happened late in Fitch's sophomore season, a bizarre, ultimately underachieving year for the Wildcats that earned them the nickname "Team Turmoil."

After that season, coach Tubby Smith kicked three players off Team Turmoil. Fitch was not among them, which came as a surprise to a lot of people -- perhaps even Fitch.

"Coach stood by me," he said. "I'll never forget."

If there was a debt to be paid, Fitch has paid it.

Last season he was the soul of the most surprising team in college basketball, playing point guard in a pinch when Cliff Hawkins was declared ineligible for the first semester, then shifting to shooting guard and helping the Wildcats win 26 consecutive games and a No. 1 NCAA Tournament seed.

This season Fitch is the leading scorer on the Wildcats, at 19.3 points per game, and joins Hawkins to apply devastating perimeter pressure.

He was a borderline Top 100 recruit in high school who was pursued by the likes of Clemson and Florida State before Kentucky got involved late. And Kentucky got involved only because a guard on its roster, Desmond Allison, was in the process of being kicked off the team.

Mentally, he has endured the Tubby Smith grinder -- a tough-love style that weeds out some (you know who you are, Ryan Hogan and Michael Bradley) but makes over-achieving winners of others.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/6917364

Similar to GophersinIowa, I am not saying your wrong either. Do you have names of the aforementioned players? I was unaware that he had some many transfers of such high caliber players. If true, which your saying it is, that is pretty shocking.

Even go one step further. Where did these guys end up going? How did they do at their new school?

Top Bottom