Social Media giving Panther Hawks of world direct contact with recruits --article

It's the players fault if they don't have their security settings set-up properly or are accepting friend requests from random people.

Why is it Facebook's or Twitter's job? As long as no one is posting threatening things, it's not their problem. If the NCAA doesn't like it, they can do something about it.

Do you really think 16 and 17 year old kids are going to have the ability to tell themselves they should not want any attention and that it's a bad idea to let people who are their fans be their friends on facebook? I've got news for you, most of them LOVE the attention and are not mature enough to realize the consequences that will begin to befall them. Unfortunately for this recruit, he realized it too late.

If you really think young student athletes who haven't graduated high school are going to know any better, you are dead wrong. This is a major issue. Why do you think pantherhawk is literally friends, or has been friends with almost every player recruited by, and playing for the gophers?

Why is it Facebook's or Twitter's job? As long as no one is posting threatening things, it's not their problem. If the NCAA doesn't like it, they can do something about it.

I agree. You don't blame the people who built the highway when people drive recklessly.

These kids need to learn how to block out the unwanted messages from rubes. It's really that simple. Further, high school coaches should learn more about the social media to help when asked about curbing the social media noise. But it really does fall to the player to take care of these things himself. If you don't know someone, don't friend them.

yeah, i don't see why so many of these kids accept friend request from random people. i may have 300+(which is not much compared to many people) friends on facebook, but i know every one of them in some way.

yeah, i don't see why so many of these kids accept friend request from random people. i may have 300+(which is not much compared to many people) friends on facebook, but i know every one of them in some way.

50 pound is right, though. Even though it is of my opinion that Facebook should take a large look at this issue, I believe it comes down to the players coaches and other people around them to educate them on this issue.

This sh*t is soo wrong...these stalker a$$ idiots need go find a life instead of harassing and stalking HS athletes online. it's sick what we've come too in this country. This is proly a good way to take your team out of contention anyway. When I see guys lik panther hawk doing this I just think you kno what...it's over the line. Or these people who add gopher players or other college players online it's messed up their just regular people if you don't kno them like have talked with them in person leave them alone and leave to recruiting up to the people that get paid to do it.

This sh*t is soo wrong...these stalker a$$ idiots need go find a life instead of harassing and stalking HS athletes online. it's sick what we've come too in this country. This is proly a good way to take your team out of contention anyway. When I see guys lik panther hawk doing this I just think you kno what...it's over the line. Or these people who add gopher players or other college players online it's messed up their just regular people if you don't kno them like have talked with them in person leave them alone and leave to recruiting up to the people that get paid to do it.

I hope no one thinks I was defending the Panther Hawks of the world. I'm just saying it's probably hard for Twitter and Facebook to do as much about them as the users of Twitter and Facebook can do by themselves.

I tweet and have a moribund Facebook account, but the most stalker-esque I've ever been has been to congratulate a celebrity or two by saying I liked their recent work.

Do you really think 16 and 17 year old kids are going to have the ability to tell themselves they should not want any attention and that it's a bad idea to let people who are their fans be their friends on facebook? I've got news for you, most of them LOVE the attention and are not mature enough to realize the consequences that will begin to befall them. Unfortunately for this recruit, he realized it too late.

If you really think young student athletes who haven't graduated high school are going to know any better, you are dead wrong. This is a major issue. Why do you think pantherhawk is literally friends, or has been friends with almost every player recruited by, and playing for the gophers?

Why does that make it Twitter/Facebook's job to fix it? I don't dispute what you're saying, but there's no link between 'kids don't know better' and 'Facebook needs to play big brother and decide what's OK and what isn't.' It's not thier job and even if they were willing, there's free speech issues that would rapidly come into play. If there's a problem, it's either on the kid or the NCAA to solve the issue. I'm not defending the Panther Hawk's of the world in any way, but I am defending the notion that the company is somehow now obligated to waste resources trying to police this issue. If nothing illegal or threatening is being posted, they have better things to do and are right to stay out of it.

So we better get the mods to get rid of the "Find us on Facebook" and "Follow us on Twitter" ads on this page, right?

To be fair, I also don't approve of groups like "Golden Gopher Nation wants Wedley Estime." I don't see how this is allowed by the NCAA, even if it comes from an unofficial party instead of the university itself.

To be fair, I also don't approve of groups like "Golden Gopher Nation wants Wedley Estime." I don't see how this is allowed by the NCAA, even if it comes from an unofficial party instead of the university itself.

How can it be controlled?

I hope no one thinks I was defending the Panther Hawks of the world. I'm just saying it's probably hard for Twitter and Facebook to do as much about them as the users of Twitter and Facebook can do by themselves.

I tweet and have a moribund Facebook account, but the most stalker-esque I've ever been has been to congratulate a celebrity or two by saying I liked their recent work.

no I was talkin bout people lik panther hawk and others i've seen and people lik in the story you shared.

I say good for that fella for saying "Screw this, I am outta here!". I think that's awesome, and it just goes beyond pathetic that people are hassling these young guys like that, and as that article noted, we will certainly be seeing much, much more of this type of thing in the very near future if things don't change regarding privacy policies. It is so disrespectful to sh*t all over someone's personal page like that in my opinion. Just leave them the hell alone already.

HS Star player drops FACEBOOK after "living nightmare"

Article

listen up Pantherwhatever

Actually I think those kids are old enough to make most decisions for themselves and need to be able to deal with stuff like this, especially future division one athletes. I don't think you are giving enough credit to kids this age as most of them should be capable of controlling this type of thing.

Man, your English is brutal.....

I read the article and some of the comments. I liked the one comment by someone who said he doesn't pay attention to these stories. Yet, he took the time to open up the article and write a response. There were comments mocking him because he thinks it would be a lot of money if his mother made $100,000 a year. There are an awful lot of people out there for whom that kind of money is a dream.

There were a lot of comments assuming that he's stupid. There are a lot of people who want recruits to come to their schools, but have utter contempt for them. Sure, there are some players who don't care much about education, but there are a lot of players who have spent their whole lives getting good enough to get an athletic scholarship, because that is the only way they are going to be able to go to college.

The guy is just overwhelmed by people who want a piece of him. Harrassing recruits only makes them less interested in your school.

I read the article and some of the comments. I liked the one comment by someone who said he doesn't pay attention to these stories. Yet, he took the time to open up the article and write a response. There were comments mocking him because he thinks it would be a lot of money if his mother made $100,000 a year. There are an awful lot of people out there for whom that kind of money is a dream.

There were a lot of comments assuming that he's stupid. There are a lot of people who want recruits to come to their schools, but have utter contempt for them. Sure, there are some players who don't care much about education, but there are a lot of players who have spent their whole lives getting good enough to get an athletic scholarship, because that is the only way they are going to be able to go to college.

The guy is just overwhelmed by people who want a piece of him. Harrassing recruits only makes them less interested in your school.

It strikes me that this must be something like driving past a car wreck for these recruits. You want to be on Facebook because your friends are on Facebook and use in the same way they are using it, but if you have any level of celebrity, all of a sudden you are going to be the target of people with whom you don't ordinarily interact. All of a sudden, these people start posting stuff about you--both positive and negative--and while the kid may not want to look at the posts, there is undoubtedly going to be some level of curiosity with compels him to take a look. Judgment was never my strong suit as a teenager so I'm not going to dump on the kids too heavily, but I just think they need to be very discerning when "friending."

Panther Hawk may look like a guy who just wants to talk Star Wars and the joy of the saxophone, but there's more than meets the eye.

There were comments mocking him because he thinks it would be a lot of money if his mother made $100,000 a year. There are an awful lot of people out there for whom that kind of money is a dream.

Exactly. Anyone who doesn't think that a $100 k annual salary would be fantasy-like for the overwhelming majority of the earth's population is a total d*uche and needs to get in touch with the real world. I would kill for a six-figure salary, and I'm not even a violent person.

I would argue that many athletes want the extra attention to make more of a name for themselves early on in their careers. I would take Trevor as a great example of this. His facebook is truly a fan page and he has over 3000 friends.

I would argue that many athletes want the extra attention to make more of a name for themselves early on in their careers. I would take Trevor as a great example of this. His facebook is truly a fan page and he has over 3000 friends.

I don't doubt that and to me, that's troubling. Maybe it's because I'm originally from a small town, but the BOMC and the Homecoming Queen had a smattering of followers (and stalkers) by comparison. I don't know what is sadder, the followers wanting to touch the "virtual hem of the garment" or the targets of the adulation bringing these folks into their fold.

Again, it's one thing with people you know or interests you follow. It's another thing when people out of the blue just want to "friend" you.

Twits, Tweets, Twitter, Tweeters....This Twit is fond of Tweeters.

Top Bottom