Shooter: Pro scouts aren’t impressed with the slinging throwing motion of Rutgers-bound QB Athan Kaliakmanis, the ex-Gopher.

I wonder what pro scouts think about Max Brosmer.

Athan needs someone to repair his form. He started throwing a 3/4 sidearm pass as the season progressed. I think part of it is our QB coaching. For him, personally, I hope he figures it out.

Addition by subtraction. He played as the season went on as if he was injured. Was his injury between the ears?

needs Jedd Fisch to show him the tennis-ball throwing routine that Fisch used with Adam Weber.

I could be wrong, but I get the sense that HS coaches can be reluctant to mess too much with mechanics. If the ball is getting where it needs to be most of the time, I think HS coaches accept that. but in the process, players can develop bad habits.

I know I see a lot of HS basketball players with poor shooting mechanics, and I wonder why they were never corrected.

needs Jedd Fisch to show him the tennis-ball throwing routine that Fisch used with Adam Weber.

I could be wrong, but I get the sense that HS coaches can be reluctant to mess too much with mechanics. If the ball is getting where it needs to be most of the time, I think HS coaches accept that. but in the process, players can develop bad habits.

I know I see a lot of HS basketball players with poor shooting mechanics, and I wonder why they were never corrected.
You are probably correct about messing with mechanics. I played a little DIII football and the only coach who ever mentioned mechanics to me was a B-Squad coach when I was a tenth grader. Pretty sure that his advice would have evaluated his advice as "incorrect/faulted" by knowledgeable coaches."

Last edited:

Well and as far as AK is concerned he missed his senior year of football in HS right?

Not changing much there.

Well and as far as AK is concerned he missed his senior year of football in HS right?

Not changing much there.

I know he had some injury issues earlier in his career. I believe his senior year was one of those covid situations where they did not play in the fall of 2020 but played a shortened season in the spring of 2021. I found an article that said his team was undefeated with a 6-0 record.

if anyone has more or better information, chime in.

Fixing the shooting mechanics of high school basketball players is a slippery slope. The time to develop proper mechanics is grade school. Saturday morning weekly sessions.

#1. You can tweak somebodies shooting but overhauling it is a summer project.
#2. Very often dad taught the kid how to shoot. You mess with his son's perfect shooting mechanics and you're going to be on the carpet.
#3. To rebuild somebodies shooting is a long process. Takes 30 days before any chance of a new habit sinking in. He is going to get worse before he gets better. It is a very frustrating thing to go through for everybody.
#4. Then you have an assistant coach who thinks he's the shot doctor. He's telling him something completely different than you are.
Now the kid is airballing free throws and you are the reason why. Obviously, you don't know what your are doing.
#5. Keep in mind...all these kids think they can shoot. Kid's senior year and you are wrecking his life. He had a scholarship to somewhere in the families mind...now he's playing so bad that's gone and it's your fault.
* No excuses if you have been the coach there for 10 years. My perspective is more coming in as a new coach....coaching bad mechanics shooters....tough to fix in season.
Everybody, and I mean everybody is happier if you just support them rather than fixing them.
Get more layups, attack the rim and hope they can make one outta two free throws.
Drill and record shots and try to find some spots they can make them. Focus on shot selection.
AND, you don't have practice time to dedicate to this either. That means to make a difference you and the kids need to come in before school and after practice to have any chance of building a new stroke and habit after years of doing it wrong. It takes a lot of work

Last edited:

Athan needs someone to repair his form. He started throwing a 3/4 sidearm pass as the season progressed. I think part of it is our QB coaching. For him, personally, I hope he figures it out.

He got away with it in 2022 because we had a great running game and he had easier route concepts off the play action. In other words, he had bigger openings and targets.

In 2023 he was asked to make tighter throws, and also spot the ball downfield more. That's when the accuracy goes.

He got away with it in 2022 because we had a great running game and he had easier route concepts off the play action. In other words, he had bigger openings and targets.

In 2023 he was asked to make tighter throws, and also spot the ball downfield more. That's when the accuracy goes.
He also was pretty bad for large parts of 2022

Kids copy what they see the stars do and think they can pull it off, too. It's gotta be frustrating for a high school coach to have to deal with that. Methinks a lot of high school coaches around the country are cursing Patrick Mahomes right now.

The good news is now he is Rutger's project to fix not ours. Some athletes will not accept coaching. Next man up. I wish him luck but his past performance tells us success on the field is not in his future. Changing uniforms only will not solve his on-field issues.

Fixing the shooting mechanics of high school basketball players is a slippery slope. The time to develop proper mechanics is grade school. Saturday morning weekly sessions.

#1. You can tweak somebodies shooting but overhauling it is a summer project.
#2. Very often dad taught the kid how to shoot. You mess with his son's perfect shooting mechanics and you're going to be on the carpet.
#3. To rebuild somebodies shooting is a long process. Takes 30 days before any chance of a new habit sinking in. He is going to get worse before he gets better. It is a very frustrating thing to go through for everybody.
#4. Then you have an assistant coach who thinks he's the shot doctor. He's telling him something completely different than you are.
Now the kid is airballing free throws and you are the reason why. Obviously, you don't know what your are doing.
#5. Keep in mind...all these kids think they can shoot. Kid's senior year and you are wrecking his life. He had a scholarship to somewhere in the families mind...now he's playing so bad that's gone and it's your fault.
* No excuses if you have been the coach there for 10 years. My perspective is more coming in as a new coach....coaching bad mechanics shooters....tough to fix in season.
Everybody, and I mean everybody is happier if you just support them rather than fixing them.
Get more layups, attack the rim and hope they can make one outta two free throws.
Drill and record shots and try to find some spots they can make them. Focus on shot selection.
AND, you don't have practice time to dedicate to this either. That means to make a difference you and the kids need to come in before school and after practice to have any chance of building a new stroke and habit after years of doing it wrong. It takes a lot of work
Good post on basketball. Kids need to learn good shooting form from 5-8th grade. Hard to change too much after that.

Easier at a later time to work with a QBs throwing motion. He can probably throw from a variety of arm angles. Coaching can teach him when one is better used than the other. If the pocket is solid, stand tall and throw it overhand. If you are moving to your right, three quarters or sidearm might be more comfortable because you can't set your feet and square up to throw overhand.

Well, no s***. He sometimes threw like he was in a slapping contest. For a high level athlete figured he had to be injured. Who knows, except him.

Not changing much there.
And injured for his junior year. Knowing that, it's pretty clear Fleck and staff wasted his red shirt year from a development perspective.

Pro?!??!?!

Yeah I mean sometimes guys suddenly get it and do well…. anything is possible but …

At this point I don’t think the pros have to worry.
I’m going to guess NFL teams and pro scouts are paying attention to some degree to all starting QBs across FBS.

Pro?!??!?!

Yeah I mean sometimes guys suddenly get it and do well…. anything is possible but …

At this point I don’t think the pros have to worry.
Mitch Leidner was once projected as a 1st round pick by someone who got paid to do such things...

Probably not overly impressed, which is part of why some still seem to think he goes Rd2

But he does have a far better record of getting it in his guys’ hands than AK
Agree. There's the old Phil Jackson (he of awkward jump shot) quote: "They don't ask 'How?' They ask 'How many?'" That works at a level and no one can argue with Penix' results since he transferred to Washington, but the low release point has to be noted by the scouts. I'm no pro scout, but I can imagine there's quite a split in the scouting community around Penix' pro future.

AK's throwing motion reminded me of Rusty Smith from FAU. The Gophers played them over a decade ago. NFL scouts liked a lot of attributes but couldn't get around his throwing motion. AK had the same 3/4 side-arm release.

It’s not even a 3/4. That’s before the Tavaris Jackson jump passes. A lot of work ahead.

Top Bottom