Shooter: If Gophers fire Brewster, Tony Dungy will be first on their list

Didn't Dungy have some informal input on our last head coaching search? I thought I remember Maturi saying Dungy thought very highly of Brewster. If so, by all means let him head the committee.

I thought his claims of "winning God's way" was suspect at best, slightly blasphemous at worst.

beating_a_dead_horse.jpg

If I get divorced, Katy Perry will be at the top of my list.

Beyond the fact that he has stated several times, two that I have heard personally, that he wants nothing to do with coaching college football, let alone coaching again. The main hang up for him is recruiting and having to more or less degrade yourself to 18 yr olds.

Then you again, like my first choice, all options are in play until they tell you no.

Me too

katyperryelmo.gif

Didn't Dungy have some informal input on our last head coaching search? I thought I remember Maturi saying Dungy thought very highly of Brewster. If so, by all means let him head the committee.

Dungy thought very highly of Mike Tomlin. He thought Tomlin should have been given an interview and was upset with the administration when that interview was never granted.

I kind of expected some turmoil with this, but no one is biting.
The joke may be too obtuse. I have just seen people posting lolcats in a few threads so maybe I've misjudged my audience.

Tony was on the Dan Patrick Show this morning, and was asked about the Minnesota job and flat out said he was not going to coach again, and that includes Minnesota. He said we should contact Trestman... did anyone else catch more than I did? I only cought about 1 min.

Tony was on the Dan Patrick Show this morning, and was asked about the Minnesota job and flat out said he was not going to coach again, and that includes Minnesota. He said we should contact Trestman... did anyone else catch more than I did? I only cought about 1 min.

Didn't hear it, but:
Things that make you go hmmmmm. Trestman is our best bet if we want a U graduate, with Dungy's blessing that would be a nice combo. I'd need to know who's going to be on the staff that is plugged into the recruiting scene first.

I wish I would have heard the whole thing, not sure if Patrick mentioned the artical, therefor Dungy said call Trestman cause I am not interested, or if he was really indorsing Trestman... I'm sure it can be streamed, but my workplace dosen't allow.

Tony was on the Dan Patrick Show this morning, and was asked about the Minnesota job and flat out said he was not going to coach again, and that includes Minnesota.

Can we sticky this post and put the quoted text as a static billboard on top of the football forum?

Can we sticky this post and put the quoted text as a static billboard on top of the football forum?

Maybe change the name of the forum to, "The Tony Dungy Has Said He Isn't Coming Football Forum".

Sounds to me like a lot was missed back in Dec 2006.......

When people bring up Trestman, I think here's what they're driving at:

1) Very, very experienced at both college and pro levels, US and Canada
2) Very, very accomplished at developing great play from quarterbacks
3) Maturity as he's been in the coaching business for quite a while
4) Well-connected from all his stops
5) Reputation for developing sound offenses
6) Has coached with and under a number of terrific coaches
7) He is a M man. I think this would be his "end-job", and would be a fixture at
the U for 12-15 years.

My guess is that had they taken Trestman in 2006, we would in no way be having the sorts
of conversations we're having now.

We'd be talking about:

1) How Adam Weber has developed under his tutelage into an All-Big Ten quarterback,
and maybe All-American
2) We would be at least 3-1 so far, if not 4-0. I think Mason would have beaten USC,
and so too could Trestman.
3) How much fun it is to see the team Defend the Bank.

I'm not saying he's Lombardi or Rockne. All I'm saying is he's a highly capable football
coach who could lend the U some long term stability for the program, and a coaching
figure the fans can relate to.

Beyond that, I hope Brewster's Gophers go 9-3 this year!

We'd be talking about:

1) How Adam Weber has developed under his tutelage into an All-Big Ten quarterback,
and maybe All-American
2) We would be at least 3-1 so far, if not 4-0. I think Mason would have beaten USC,
and so too could Trestman.

This thinking is the problem with Minnesota fans!

Actually, its not unrealistic at all.

A U alum as our new head coach may be the only way the regain the Boosters respect.

Wheaton- you may be more right than you think.

why are we all assuming dungy would make a great college coach? it's completely different from the NFL. college coaches need to be extremely driven and passionate. dungy is not only very understated as a coach, but already fully accomplished. he's been to the top of the mountain. where would his drive come from?

we need a young, hungry coach like fitzgerald.

If it needs to be a U man to gain the Boosters respect, than I feel we have found the over arching problem of the program.

I kind of expected some turmoil with this, but no one is biting.

I have Khaliq on my "ignore poster" list and never saw this disgusting post. Just reaffirms why I ignore him.

If it needs to be a U man to gain the Boosters respect, than I feel we have found the over arching problem of the program.

These are not normal circumstances. If a coach was retiring or moving to a different program that is one thing, but we are in a area we've never been in. We are a Big Ten school and we are making it a habit of losing to inferior opponents. Soon beating the gophers will not be a marquee victory for FCS and mid-major schools. At least when Mason was here it was never a question if he would beat the likes of NDSU or South Dakota (except maybe his last year). He destroyed them. Donors and alums are going to want some real legitimacy and substance for the next coach. If it were a fellow alum they would probably see things differently.

Top Bottom