Shooter: If Gophers fire Brewster, Tony Dungy will be first on their list

BleedGopher

Reaction score
From Shooter:

Tim Brewster is still the University of Minnesota football coach. But if there is a change, speculation will immediately focus on two former Gophers quarterbacks, Tony Dungy and Marc Trestman.

And count on it — Dungy will be the first person contacted, as he was after the Gophers fired Glen Mason.

People close to Dungy, who coached the Indianapolis Colts to a Super Bowl championship, feel he would be more inclined toward the NFL than college if he were to try coaching again.

But Dungy is different than most big-time coaches, and has a special affinity for his alma mater. A $5 million annual contract from a NFL team might not be as important to Dungy as the challenge to make his alma mater relevant in football.

One significant roadblock for the Gophers could be Dungy's wife, Lauren, not because she would object to his returning to football, but because she abhors cold weather.

Gophers wrestling coach J Robinson said last week that Dungy, a big Gophers wrestling fan, plans to attend an on-campus function sometime this school year.

Trestman, who is from St. Louis Park, coached the Montreal Alouettes to the Grey Cup championship in his first season two years ago. Last season, Trestman took Montreal to the Grey Cup finals. This season, the Alouettes are 9-3 and in first place in the Canadian Football League's East Division.

But people close to Treatman say he is extremely loyal to the Montreal ownership, even though he probably could triple his salary, estimated at $400,000 annually, by coming to Minnesota.

— Ouch: The University of South Dakota, which scored 41 points in defeating the U Gophers in football at TCF Bank Stadium on Sept. 11, lost 38-16 to North Dakota State on Saturday in Fargo.

http://www.twincities.com/ci_16186057

Go Gophers!!

From Shooter:

Tim Brewster is still the University of Minnesota football coach. But if there is a change, speculation will immediately focus on two former Gophers quarterbacks, Tony Dungy and Marc Trestman.

And count on it — Dungy will be the first person contacted, as he was after the Gophers fired Glen Mason.

People close to Dungy, who coached the Indianapolis Colts to a Super Bowl championship, feel he would be more inclined toward the NFL than college if he were to try coaching again.

But Dungy is different than most big-time coaches, and has a special affinity for his alma mater. A $5 million annual contract from a NFL team might not be as important to Dungy as the challenge to make his alma mater relevant in football.

One significant roadblock for the Gophers could be Dungy's wife, Lauren, not because she would object to his returning to football, but because she abhors cold weather.

Gophers wrestling coach J Robinson said last week that Dungy, a big Gophers wrestling fan, plans to attend an on-campus function sometime this school year.

Trestman, who is from St. Louis Park, coached the Montreal Alouettes to the Grey Cup championship in his first season two years ago. Last season, Trestman took Montreal to the Grey Cup finals. This season, the Alouettes are 9-3 and in first place in the Canadian Football League's East Division.

But people close to Treatman say he is extremely loyal to the Montreal ownership, even though he probably could triple his salary, estimated at $400,000 annually, by coming to Minnesota.

— Ouch: The University of South Dakota, which scored 41 points in defeating the U Gophers in football at TCF Bank Stadium on Sept. 11, lost 38-16 to North Dakota State on Saturday in Fargo.

http://www.twincities.com/ci_16186057

Go Gophers!!

Leave it to Shooter. They lost 17-3 to Nebraska. South Dakota State that is.

Dungy won't come, Trestman is interesting. Leach and Mangino are capable, but not "Minnesota nice". I still like Sumpter, too, but we'll see...

Shooter must be an active reader of Gopherhole, that was all speculation taken off of this website.

Dungy won't come, Trestman is interesting. Leach and Mangino are capable, but not "Minnesota nice". I still like Sumpter, too, but we'll see...

Quick question: Who is Sumpter? Do you mean Kevin Sumlin?

If I get divorced, Katy Perry will be at the top of my list.

Beyond the fact that he has stated several times, two that I have heard personally, that he wants nothing to do with coaching college football, let alone coaching again. The main hang up for him is recruiting and having to more or less degrade yourself to 18 yr olds.

Then you again, like my first choice, all options are in play until they tell you no.

I'm all for Dungy being involved with the search, but I highly doubt he would come back to coaching unless it was an NFL gig. Having said that, I think if Dungy became involved in helping select and interview potential replacements, it would be a bigtime bonus.

Trestman would be very interesting, IMO.

Dungy is disqualified from being a college coach by virtue of the fact he is an intelligent adult.

Or so one could argue.

I'm all for Dungy being involved with the search, but I highly doubt he would come back to coaching unless it was an NFL gig. Having said that, I think if Dungy became involved in helping select and interview potential replacements, it would be a bigtime bonus.

A bigtime bonus? LOL. How so?

So can I assume that you believe that Dungy both wouldn't help and is unintelligent. Is that right? Just want to make sure.

I must say I tend to disagree on not being able to help since said coach is a former alum and a Super Bowl champion. But again, that's just my opinion. I am curious why you think that Dungy isn't intelligent however.

I could easily rally around Trestman

nm

Gimme a break! He doesn't want to coach, and the only reason he even ended up at Minnesota was the guy that recruiter him came here in the offseason. What a load.

For the love of God I wish people would stop thinking Tony Dungy would coach at the U.

I think Walters has gone senile. He does nothing but write about the same 10-15 obscure former Minnesotans over and over. I wonder if Jack Hanahan or Joe Mauer's uncle will be contacted about the job too? Whatever you think of Sid, even at 91 he forgot more yesterday then Walters ever knew.

I nominate Jesus Christ for our next coach. We need all the help we can get.

Tony has a mixed record as a father figure.

In a thread yesterday, I outlined a scenario that it will be announced that Brewster will be done with about a month left in the season and then a search committee would be assembled. It would be great if Dungy could serve on, if not head, such a committee. His television responsibilities and speaking engagements may clash with that, but one can hope. I agree that it is highly unlikely that he will coach again--at any level--but he is probably plugged into the "who's who" of solid coaching candidates. My only worry is that he may have an NFL bias and I think we should concentrate on someone with a lot of college level experience this time around.

Top Bottom