Shooter: Considering the free agency transfer portal, Gophers rooters should be concerned about retaining QB Athan Kaliakmanis

Why would someone leave a program as a starter? Knowing your coach is as loyal to his starter as any? Also reading how NIL has been overhyped and is flattening out. The market is more level than some thought.
Some posters live in a world where it is only about the money and they just assume that is how all players will make their decisions.

I am not saying this WILL happen with AK, I am saying it COULD happen.
you brought up an example that is false, so in essence negates your argument and makes it moot.

We COULD also win the CFB Natty next season with AK winning the Heisman; trafficking in your nonsensical argument means you’re not worthy of a Squint Clint avatar - take your L like a man, not a 🐔.

Live in confidence and not fear - much more fun

It's only legal if he's in the portal, otherwise it's tampering. I can see why people don't want to reveal sources about how they hear of tampering.
Yeah, a coach would have to be 100% sure his program was not involved in any of these behaviors in order to go public against another school

No, no, no. Sorry, I guess we're talking two different things, or perhaps you didn't realize what Narduzzi (and Mack Brown) were lamenting about. Same thing that Matt Rhule cryptically Tweeted about.

It's schools using backdoor channels (same exact idea as bagmen, technically not part of the program, coach can deny it "never heard of him"), to offer a player already on some other school's roster, a thing like "if you enter the transfer portal and transfer to school ____, there's X millions in NIL money waiting for you there".

Absolutely happening. Even if Maye turned it down or says it never happened.

It's inducement, it's tampering, and it's absolutely against the rules. Just like bagmen were.

That’s fair. But it it possible coaches don’t actually know. If I start sending DMs to guys from other schools offering $20k to transfer that isn’t on PJ.
We’ve never hung out socially. He doesn’t know me.

I am not saying this will happen -- but Walters is right saying it COULD happen.
Kaliakmanis COULD shock the college football world next season and lead the Gophers to the B1G championship and a birth in the college football playoff.

But, in the spectrum of all the things that COULD happen, I don’t have to read blurbs like this to guess what our local media will choose to write about.

Kaliakmanis COULD shock the college football world next season and lead the Gophers to the B1G championship and a birth in the college football playoff.

But, in the spectrum of all the things that COULD happen, I don’t have to read blurbs like this to guess what our local media will choose to write about.
100% accurate. Most of them will always, always take the gloomy side. If the Gophers were to draw 20,000 people for the spring game, Walters would go with... "Gophers draw 30,000 less than Ohio State and Nebraska for spring game."

I'm not going to pay money to read that so there's probably a bigger context to this sentence. Still, Big Ten starters seldom leave for another program. Now if they're riding the pine some, sure, increased chance of testing free agency. I swear, sometimes Minnesota media treat Gopher football as if it's FCS or G5.
This is the same writer that said that Minnesota was considering a move to the Big 12 and called Athan a 'generational talent' before he had played a game last year. There was not more to that quote. He's just a moron.

shocking news - P5 College Football coaches upset because another school may be cheating and getting away with it.

more shocking news - fat people eat more than skinny people

That’s fair. But it it possible coaches don’t actually know. If I start sending DMs to guys from other schools offering $20k to transfer that isn’t on PJ.
We’ve never hung out socially. He doesn’t know me.
Sure it's possible, on paper.

Just like it had always been possible that some one-off bagman in the SEC throws a bag at some recruit that he thinks would make a good fit on the team but that the coaching staff was not actually prioritizing.

I think it was a very well organized machine, though, with somehow the staff "making it known" who the priority was and somehow the bags flowing to those targets.

So long as coaches have deniability, and even so long as they at least are on board with the idea of "all of your peers and competitors are doing this coach, look, all you have to do is aim the cannon, then you can walk away and let 'whatever happens, happen'", then I think they're reasonable fine with it.

That's my wild guess. And to be sure, Fleck could be one who was explicit that he doesn't want any such thing happening.

I hope not, though. That is, if we actually have folks willing to play that role, as they surely do at Nebraska, Iowa, and Wisconsin.

Top Bottom