Shooter: Considering the free agency transfer portal, Gophers rooters should be concerned about retaining QB Athan Kaliakmanis

How long have people been worried about PJ leaving?

People have waisted varying levels of worry about PJ leaving for 5 or 6 years ... congrats to them I guess ...

Shooter and I (years ago) used to exchange emails and discuss his distant place behind Sid. I must tell you, he always took it with good humor. Shooter needs to fill space and so he looks at the headlines and wonders "what if".

This is pathetic. This is not journalism, this is simply thinking of something that could possibly get the village riled up. Stupid and pathetic.
Um ... is this the first Walters column you've read? "Not journalism" and Charlie go hand in hand.

my issue is that Shooter mis-stated the issue.

It's not the portal - it's NIL.

I agree that the odds of AK leaving are very low. But - IF he has a big year, and IF some helmet school needs a QB - and IF they get a crazy booster to ante up a ridiculous amount of NIL $ - it is at least possible. Not saying likely - just possible.

look - if AK is getting huge NIL offers from another school, then that means he had a crazy-good season for the Gophers.

when was the last time the Gophers had a QB that another school would want to poach?

my issue is that Shooter mis-stated the issue.

It's not the portal - it's NIL.

I agree that the odds of AK leaving are very low. But - IF he has a big year, and IF some helmet school needs a QB - and IF they get a crazy booster to ante up a ridiculous amount of NIL $ - it is at least possible. Not saying likely - just possible.

look - if AK is getting huge NIL offers from another school, then that means he had a crazy-good season for the Gophers.

when was the last time the Gophers had a QB that another school would want to poach?
It's not NIL we need to worry about it is pay for play dressed as NIL.

But this is just Shooter being Shooter and actually in this case he isn't totally wrong. In the current landscape of college football there is no telling what will happen with players.

As a fan you can either choose to stress and worry about stuff you can't control or you can just enjoy the ride and cheer for the players while they are at your school. If at some point some team manages to poach AK away it will suck but it is what it is until the NCAA figures out some way to reign in this wide open pay for play marketplace being framed as NIL deals. And I don't see that happening anytime soon.

It's his job. Pretty sure literally
Truly? I've always thought of him as some guy who really loves the Gophs and digs everywhere for content where most of us wouldn't bother. Either way this place wouldn't be the same without him, thanks Bleed! Even when I hate some of the authors you share🤣

I wonder which little birdie provided Shooter with this gem?

Seriously, the ghost of Sid still haunts the sports print media, but I do a little further back to get what I think is a more likely influence on Shooter and that's the late Don Riley. Riley did a Sid-like column for the PiPress only much funnier and provocative in a playful way. Lots of quick "hot" takes (many totally off the wall and Packer fans beware) in the same vein as what Shooter currently does. Humor completely escaped Sid.

I never understand worrying about people leaving when we're not that good to begin with. If Athan wins the Big Ten West next year and gets a huge NIL deal to play for Notre Dame, good for him! I'd take that situation 100/100 over Athan being solid and winning 8 games a year for 3 more seasons. Same with PJ. Let's have the success and then worry about people leaving.

Separate note, but I think people would be surprised by how real success would be received in the Twin Cities. If boosters/potential boosters had a chance to keep PJ/Athan/etc from going elsewhere off a Nationally relevant team, I think it's possible people would step up and put up a fight financially.

I look at almost every NIL deal with skepticism. There are many deals that supposedly pay kids more than all but like the first 20 picks in the NFL draft. The "smaller" deals are often in line with like 3rd round money. If all of this was accurate, there is no way someone like Max Duggan would declare for the NFL draft. He'd be worth so much more on an NIL deal somewhere than being a 3rd or 4th rounder (which seems like a very best case scenario for him) in the NFL draft.

Actually, it IS a concern these days. Two programs offered NC QB Drake Maye 5 million to come and play for them this year, which he turned down. Not every person would do that - I know I would have had a hard time turning down 5 million dollars when I was in college (or even right now!!) Dozens and dozens of QB's transferred this year and some of them were starters, too. Graham Mertz will probably be starting at Florida next year. If AK is lighting it up he could have one of the big dogs that need a QB try to poach him away with money, cars, etc. And it would be entirely legal.

I am not saying this will happen -- but Walters is right saying it COULD happen. And man oh man Gopher fans would be irate with the other school. Pandora's box has been opened and I do not know how we can fix this at this point.

You’re wrong. Unless you don’t believe the actual person you’re discussing.

“North Carolina quarterback Drake Maye says he wasn't offered a $5 million name, image and likeness deal to transfer away from the Tar Heels. Maye shut down those rumors, one of which was pushed by Pittsburgh head coach Pat Narduzzi, on Thursday”

Good job on feeding into a false narrative though.

Actually, it IS a concern these days. Two programs offered NC QB Drake Maye 5 million to come and play for them this year, which he turned down. Not every person would do that - I know I would have had a hard time turning down 5 million dollars when I was in college (or even right now!!) Dozens and dozens of QB's transferred this year and some of them were starters, too. Graham Mertz will probably be starting at Florida next year. If AK is lighting it up he could have one of the big dogs that need a QB try to poach him away with money, cars, etc. And it would be entirely legal.

I am not saying this will happen -- but Walters is right saying it COULD happen. And man oh man Gopher fans would be irate with the other school. Pandora's box has been opened and I do not know how we can fix this at this point.
Bro - you need to change your avatar. I think this is far more appropriate -

1675690763599.jpeg

“North Carolina quarterback Drake Maye says he wasn't offered a $5 million name, image and likeness deal to transfer away from the Tar Heels. Maye shut down those rumors, one of which was pushed by Pittsburgh head coach Pat Narduzzi, on Thursday”
I don't believe him for a second.

Could be as simple as "no, the deal was actually for 4.7 million. Where did this 5 million lie come from??" and he left that part off.

I never understand worrying about people leaving when we're not that good to begin with. If Athan wins the Big Ten West next year and gets a huge NIL deal to play for Notre Dame, good for him! I'd take that situation 100/100 over Athan being solid and winning 8 games a year for 3 more seasons. Same with PJ. Let's have the success and then worry about people leaving.

Separate note, but I think people would be surprised by how real success would be received in the Twin Cities. If boosters/potential boosters had a chance to keep PJ/Athan/etc from going elsewhere off a Nationally relevant team, I think it's possible people would step up and put up a fight financially.

I look at almost every NIL deal with skepticism. There are many deals that supposedly pay kids more than all but like the first 20 picks in the NFL draft. The "smaller" deals are often in line with like 3rd round money. If all of this was accurate, there is no way someone like Max Duggan would declare for the NFL draft. He'd be worth so much more on an NIL deal somewhere than being a 3rd or 4th rounder (which seems like a very best case scenario for him) in the NFL draft.

Yeah. All of these '8-win' seasons are disappointing.

Could be as simple as "no, the deal was actually for 4.7 million. Where did this 5 million lie come from??" and he left that part off.

YES!

But as long as we're just pulling numbers out of thin air, I think it was probably 4.9999999 million.

If you're making stuff up, go as big as possible.

Ok. You’re right. There was more to the article but you’re clearly a superior intellect. Maye turned down $4.7 million. Athan will get double that. Maybe triple!

Ok. You’re right. There was more to the article but you’re clearly a superior intellect. Maye turned down $4.7 million. Athan will get double that. Maybe triple!
It doesn't matter in the slightest if Maye ever received an offer or not.

Narduzzi went off, and quite obviously not for no reason. Mack Brown also went off. Neither would reveal sources because they don't want to burn players.

Also players won't burn sources either, because they want the bags to keep flowing.

Maybe Maye never got one. Or maybe he did. Like I said, doesn't matter. It's 100% happening.

Narduzzi went off, and quite obviously not for no reason. Mack Brown also went off. Neither would reveal sources because they don't want to burn players.

Also players won't burn sources either, because they want the bags to keep flowing.

Maybe Maye never got one. Or maybe he did. Like I said, doesn't matter. It's 100% happening.

?????????????

If you speak English natively, then you can read the rest of the words in the post. It's completely clear, the overall point being made.

Revealing sources? This is all legal. They aren’t bagmen.

We’ve seen a few major NIL deals. We’ve seen some fall through. For the vast majority of players at all schools it’s going to be money they can use. Not money to retire. And the market will regulate itself. There is finite money in college athletics. Boosters won’t keep ponying up for guys that don’t pan out.

Why would someone leave a program as a starter? Knowing your coach is as loyal to his starter as any? Also reading how NIL has been overhyped and is flattening out. The market is more level than some thought.

Revealing sources? This is all legal. They aren’t bagmen.

We’ve seen a few major NIL deals. We’ve seen some fall through. For the vast majority of players at all schools it’s going to be money they can use. Not money to retire. And the market will regulate itself. There is finite money in college athletics. Boosters won’t keep ponying up for guys that don’t pan out.
No, no, no. Sorry, I guess we're talking two different things, or perhaps you didn't realize what Narduzzi (and Mack Brown) were lamenting about. Same thing that Matt Rhule cryptically Tweeted about.

It's schools using backdoor channels (same exact idea as bagmen, technically not part of the program, coach can deny it "never heard of him"), to offer a player already on some other school's roster, a thing like "if you enter the transfer portal and transfer to school ____, there's X millions in NIL money waiting for you there".

Absolutely happening. Even if Maye turned it down or says it never happened.

It's inducement, it's tampering, and it's absolutely against the rules. Just like bagmen were.

Top Bottom