Shooter: Brewster's big regret as Gophers coach: the spread offense

If your fond of the Loon you can read him on startribune blogs

His ramblings are prevalent there. I think his weird race rants, and attacks on posters got him banned not talking about Brewster instituting the spread or the merits of not doing so in Minnesota and why it would not work. He is no martyr that much is for sure. He was really weird and out there at the banning period and was chasing people away from the site.

There are plenty of people ripping on the spread and they don't get banned, so maybe it was something else?

Saying Loon got banned for not liking the spread is like saying Wren is annoying for appreciating Big 10 wins.

There are plenty of people ripping on the spread and they don't get banned, so maybe it was something else?

I hate the so called spread as much as anyone, but I fail to understand why you cannot run it "up here" in Minnesota.

What, it is 4 degrees colder and drier here the fall than in Evanston or Indiana or Illinois?

What they have faster, better recruits in the state of West Va or Kansas?

Total BS in the posts above. The spread (whatever that might be) certainly could work in Minnesota. I just personally hate it, and did it made no sense for Brewster to embrace it with his Denver/Shanahan background and the perfect fit the talent Mason had in place with that system.

The Urban Meyer, Baylor, TT/ Leach and Dickrod versons of the spread are actually quite exciting.

Brewster's biggest regret should have been the fact that he totally ran this program into the ground, from which it will take years to recover. If he can't see that, he's even stupider than I thought.

Brewster's biggest regret should have been the fact that he totally ran this program into the ground, from which it will take years to recover. If he can't see that, he's even stupider than I thought.

Agreed. That's why people need to give Kill a chance. He's overcoming a four year span of poor decision making and leadership.

I thought he abandoned the spread too soon...It was producing better in 2008 when they started 7-1. For me, Brewster's downfall started with the change back to the pro-style. His poor recruiting also did him in.

I hate the so called spread as much as anyone, but I fail to understand why you cannot run it "up here" in Minnesota.

What, it is 4 degrees colder and drier here the fall than in Evanston or Indiana or Illinois?

What they have faster, better recruits in the state of West Va or Kansas?

Total BS in the posts above. The spread (whatever that might be) certainly could work in Minnesota. I just personally hate it, and did it made no sense for Brewster to embrace it with his Denver/Shanahan background and the perfect fit the talent Mason had in place with that system.

The Urban Meyer, Baylor, TT/ Leach and Dickrod versons of the spread are actually quite exciting.

Same here. Just because I don't like it doesn't mean it couldn't have worked eventually.

You can't blame Tim Brewster for the failed teams during his tenure. This was an inexperienced coach who was handed this job. He tried his absolute best with the utmost passion. He also cared about his kids and did his best to run a clean program. He even tried to play to his strengths (recruiting).

The fact that he gave it his all, did it the right way, and tried to utilize his stregths - you can't ask for anything more from someone you give to do a job.

The failure of the Brew tenure rests on the shoulders of one man, and one man only. His initials are JM.

You can't blame Tim Brewster for the failed teams during his tenure. This was an inexperienced coach who was handed this job. He tried his absolute best with the utmost passion. He also cared about his kids and did his best to run a clean program. He even tried to play to his strengths (recruiting).

The fact that he gave it his all, did it the right way, and tried to utilize his stregths - you can't ask for anything more from someone you give to do a job.

The failure of the Brew tenure rests on the shoulders of one man, and one man only. His initials are JM.

Huh? Since Brewster was the coach, hired the staff and recruited the players, I think you can blame him.

No he didn't hire himself and yes he did work hard, but he was the coach.

Top Bottom