Shooter: Andrew Rohde is getting $450K over 3 years in NIL money at Virginia

I don't know if it would be exaggerating to say everyone saw this coming. It certainly favors the more passionate fan bases. We are just going to have to win with less talented rosters until the Gophers garner the same support as other teams. Basically where we were anyway regardless of NIL.
I don't disagree with any of that. I just don't think "fair share" is a good way of referring to a system that isn't fair and has zero regulation to begin with. When I hear "fair share" it makes me think it's earned or they're entitled to it.

I'm starting to turn around on my feelings about NIL. the more I read about all of these big-money deals, the more I question whether the reports are accurate.

Rohde is a nice player with potential - but if a guy who played at St. Thomas is worth $150,000 a year - then 2 questions:

1. where is the money coming from?

2. what are higher-profile players getting?

(and again - where is the money coming from?)
I think a lot of the numbers we hear are not real or are “real” but conditional

I don't disagree with any of that. I just don't think "fair share" is a good way of referring to a system that isn't fair and has zero regulation to begin with. When I hear "fair share" it makes me think it's earned or they're entitled to it.
Well the person who's writing the check apparently thinks he has earned it, so who cares what we all think.

I don't think any player is entitled to any amount of money, but we are all entitled to the opportunity to get paid for our talents, whatever they may be. I don't think someone should be denied the right to get paid their market value simply because it makes some people uncomfortable.

I would have thought a free college education is a fair trade for playing basketball? I'm all for NIL but this isn't that. Rhode has done nothing to earn that money other than being the best player on an average team, in a terrible conference.
If he hasn’t done anything to earn it then he wouldn’t be paid it. This is crazy to say he did nothing to earn it like these kids do t have to put in work to get these opportunities & maintain them.

So it's his fair share now because cheating is more widespread? Agree to disagree on that one.
You probably think it matters if programs are "clean." You might be more suited to being a D3 fan.

I've long since realized this is a form of big time, big money entertainment, and a sleazy, dirty, ugly one at that. Once I accepted that, I stopped caring about cheating and paying guys off. Give them a truck full of money, hookers and blow, as long as they put a winning team on the court/field.

Pay for play always existed. To think otherwise is naive at best. Even John Wooden had a bag man.
Now it's just out in the open for everyone to see.
Exactly, P5 football and basketball players are starting to get what they deserve. Historically wrestling, tennis, gymnastics etc. athletes have benefited from the skills of these players. The basketball and football players are starting to get what they deserve without hurting the nonrevenue athletes. If you want to be succesfull the fan base is going to have to pony up or settle for mediocrity.

I am guessing the first thing any new coaching job candidates look at is what is the the status of the NIL program.

You probably think it matters if programs are "clean." You might be more suited to being a D3 fan.

I've long since realized this is a form of big time, big money entertainment, and a sleazy, dirty, ugly one at that. Once I accepted that, I stopped caring about cheating and paying guys off. Give them a truck full of money, hookers and blow, as long as they put a winning team on the court/field.
Ill continue to care about morals and setting young men up for success, you do you though👍

D3 likely isn't even safe. I knew NAIA football players who were getting paid 20 years ago.

D3 likely isn't even safe. I knew NAIA football players who were getting paid 20 years ago.
NAIA has been wide open about it for years.
I know people who have been recruited for different sports and they were told straight up they'd get cash.

Here's a good article.

Ill continue to care about morals and setting young men up for success, you do you though👍
Ooh. A recruitment talking point. Morals are subjective, especially when millions of dollars are at stake.

Do you think if Joe Football or Basketball wants to major in engineering, and those classes interfere with football practice, that he's going to be allowed to take those classes? Not. A. Chance. Top recruits for revenue sports are there for one primary reason. To play that sport.

Coaches are paid millions to win games. Otherwise they're fired. Period.

I believe our football coach shares my opinion, do you think he should also get off his high horse?
John Wooden is considered practically a saint. Look up Sam Gilbert and who he was.
I know for a fact that Herb Brooks didn't give a shit if players did their own work, as long as they stayed eligible.

Every coach talks a good game. And every coach knows how to play the recruiting game if they want to win.

John Wooden is considered practically a saint. Look up Sam Gilbert and who he was.
I know for a fact that Herb Brooks didn't give a shit if players did their own work, as long as they stayed eligible.

Every coach talks a good game. And every coach knows how to play the recruiting game if they want to win.
Considered by who? Seems subjective. Also not sure how you stay eligible if you don't do your schoolwork? PJ does more than talk, his players classroom stats and charity work speaks for itself.

Ooh. A recruitment talking point. Morals are subjective, especially when millions of dollars are at stake.

Do you think if Joe Football or Basketball wants to major in engineering, and those classes interfere with football practice, that he's going to be allowed to take those classes? Not. A. Chance. Top recruits for revenue sports are there for one primary reason. To play that sport.

Coaches are paid millions to win games. Otherwise they're fired. Period.
Right. You play the sport and earn a college education. Now you can earn money, which is pretty cool. And yes coaches are paid millions. They also have contracts.

Considered by who? Seems subjective. Also not sure how you stay eligible if you don't do your schoolwork? PJ does more than talk, his players classroom stats and charity work speaks for itself.
Read what I wrote more carefully. Do their own work.

I'm very aware of PJ's charitable work through some friends who know him well. He's by all accounts a really good person. And I like him as a coach too. I hope he stays for many years.

But I really don't care if guys are getting paid under the table or over the table or whatever. It's entertainment, and I want to see the team win. At any and all costs.

Read what I wrote more carefully. Do their own work.

I'm very aware of PJ's charitable work through some friends who know him well. He's by all accounts a really good person. And I like him as a coach too. I hope he stays for many years.

But I really don't care if guys are getting paid under the table or over the table or whatever. It's entertainment, and I want to see the team win. At any and all costs.
Ohhhh Herb Brooks didn't care if his players cheated. Why didn't you just say that? And that's great...you don't care, I do.

I believe our football coach shares my opinion, do you think he should also get off his high horse?
You believe no Gopher football player is receiving a single dollar of NIL money? You believe PJ Fleck doesnt allow Gopher football players to recieve NIL?

Of course you don't.

So your issue isnt that he's getting NIL money. Its how much.
True wingnut principles.

You believe no Gopher football player is receiving a single dollar of NIL money? You believe PJ Fleck doesnt allow Gopher football players to recieve NIL?

Of course you don't.

So your issue isnt that he's getting NIL money. Its how much.
True wingnut principles.

There are a certain segment of fans here that would rather have a losing team, than play the big money game that has permeated college revenue sports for decades.

There is also a certain segment of fans that think that the cheating that goes on in every program couldn't possibly happen here.

Those people probably shouldn't be fans of teams at this level.

My goodness. Never did I say I don't want players to get paid. All I want is structure and transparency. Don't use NIL as a disguise to keep being shitty. Set rules and standards. I also didn't realize my support for setting up athletes for life outside of sports would create so much animosity. How does one comment about the use of the phrase "fair share" turn into this? Football is almost here, take a breath. It's only a different opinion....

Right. You play the sport and earn a college education. Now you can earn money, which is pretty cool. And yes coaches are paid millions. They also have contracts.
I am confused about your position on all of this. Are you suggesting that young men cannot earn an education, help out in the community, and grow into men while also earning a nice payday?

I am confused about your position on all of this. Are you suggesting that young men cannot earn an education, help out in the community, and grow into men while also earning a nice payday?
What part of "you can earn money, which is pretty cool" led you to that conclusion? NIL, as it's intended, creates a great opportunity. Pay for play is sleazy in its current state and requires a complete overhaul, imo.

What part of "you can earn money, which is pretty cool" led you to that conclusion? NIL, as it's intended, creates a great opportunity. Pay for play is sleazy in its current state and requires a complete overhaul, imo.
Well I agree but everyone, including the Gophers, are doing it

You think for a second if we had the kind of program where we could have a powerful NIL collective that Fleck wouldn't utilize it? The same guy who (rightfully) leaned into the transfer portal. He (rightfully) leaned into pushing players out to make room for players from the portal.

Of course he'd use it. He's not a hypocrite. He earns millions of dollars to coach football and win football games. He'd be a delusional and hypocritical asshole if he then wouldn't use NIL to build his team. Fleck is essentially the 400 lbs man saying he'd never cheat on his wife.

I don't blame him for pretending like we're above using the NIL. Your version of "fairness" and "morality" seem to be entirely shaped by what would personally make you happy. It's okay to be that wrapped up into your own self but preaching your own virtue while being so transparent is gross.

You think for a second if we had the kind of program where we could have a powerful NIL collective that Fleck wouldn't utilize it? The same guy who (rightfully) leaned into the transfer portal. He (rightfully) leaned into pushing players out to make room for players from the portal.

Of course he'd use it. He's not a hypocrite. He earns millions of dollars to coach football and win football games. He'd be a delusional and hypocritical asshole if he then wouldn't use NIL to build his team. Fleck is essentially the 400 lbs man saying he'd never cheat on his wife.

I don't blame him for pretending like we're above using the NIL. Your version of "fairness" and "morality" seem to be entirely shaped by what would personally make you happy. It's okay to be that wrapped up into your own self but preaching your own virtue while being so transparent is gross.
I skimmed the first page but that last paragraph was a real doozy. "Your own self" and "Preaching your own virtue" made me smile. But the lawyer calling me gross😆😆😆 that was gold.

Im done posting on this. Ironically just stumbled across this tweet that sums up what I apparently failed to communicate in this thread.

Im done posting on this. Ironically just stumbled across this tweet that sums up what I apparently failed to communicate in this thread.
Regardless of what Lane tweeted, the ruling that allowed NIL to exist basically castrated the NCAA in terms of enforcement. You can't prevent people from profiting from their own likeness etc. Baker should know this.

I'm not even sure if congressional action would be able to do anything.

And most all of us would love it if the Gophers had a billionaire sugar daddy that put big time money into the football and basketball programs, either under the table or over the table.

Top Bottom