Shooter: Andrew Rohde is getting $450K over 3 years in NIL money at Virginia

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Shooter's Little Birdie:

— A little birdie says former University of St. Thomas guard Andrew Rohde’s name, image and likeness (NIL) deal at Virginia, where he’ll be a sophomore this season, is $450,000 over three years. The Cavaliers plan for the 6-foot-6 Rohde to play substantial minutes this season.

Go Gophers!!

I'm starting to turn around on my feelings about NIL. the more I read about all of these big-money deals, the more I question whether the reports are accurate.

Rohde is a nice player with potential - but if a guy who played at St. Thomas is worth $150,000 a year - then 2 questions:

1. where is the money coming from?

2. what are higher-profile players getting?

(and again - where is the money coming from?)

i find shooter's numbers to be a bit unrealistic for a kid like andrew. but if its true and shooter's little birdie is correct, wow mn is in trouble. i mean, sure, we're selling a few t-shirts and hosting sparsely attended events with more athletes than attendees (trust me, I was at the baldy's event and let's just say it sparse!).

I'm starting to turn around on my feelings about NIL. the more I read about all of these big-money deals, the more I question whether the reports are accurate.

Rohde is a nice player with potential - but if a guy who played at St. Thomas is worth $150,000 a year - then 2 questions:

He's really good and you likely get 3 years of out him.

As far as where is the money coming from, well, you have a point here. As of now, it feels like a lot of these are just a sham, a way for boosters to pay people.

As far as high profile players, it's been reported that Oscar Tshiebwe made between $2-$3 million. He was open that he made more in NIL than as a late round pick. This does seem to jive with what we've been seeing where more late round type picks are returning to school.

There are also a number of high profile players whose value seems entirely tied to their online following (Hansel Emmanuel has 1 arm, Shaqir Oneal (shaq's son), etc.). For them the money likely comes from advertisers and aren't at all tied to schools.

UVa has some rich basketball fans. John Grisham and Company.

I highly doubt Shooter has access to accurate info on this, but regardless, good for him and any kid who is able to be paid their fair value.
I would have thought a free college education is a fair trade for playing basketball? I'm all for NIL but this isn't that. Rhode has done nothing to earn that money other than being the best player on an average team, in a terrible conference.

I would have thought a free college education is a fair trade for playing basketball? I'm all for NIL but this isn't that. Rhode has done nothing to earn that money other than being the best player on an average team, in a terrible conference.
Who the Gophers are afraid to play…. You always forget that part.

That’s ok. I heard Marquette didn’t want to play UST last year because Marquette didn’t recruit Rhode and they had seen how good he looked at the end of his AAU season…. So a tad bit apprehensive… this year Rhode is gone. ..SURE we would love to play..

I am a Gopher fan usually go to 7-8 games a year… the product was so bad last year I could only stomach two games… this is not a brag but to put things in perspective I go to Gopher games for free with friends of the program seats.. sit by the recruits or behind the Gopher bench… so I watched more games from home.. last year I paid to go to 8-9 UST games way better to watch especially on Offense.. I watched another 10 or so on TV..this year is a new year we will see what happens..

I mean if someone is really willing to pay this kid $450k over three years then by all means he should be able to get that money.

I mean if someone is really willing to pay this kid $450k over three years then by all means he should be able to get that money.
Sure, but I don't believe that's why the rule is in place. Unless I misunderstood what you meant by "fair value" let's not pretend he's earned it or is entitled to it in any way.

Sure, but I don't believe that's why the rule is in place. Unless I misunderstood what you meant by "fair value" let's not pretend he's earned it or is entitled to it in any way.
Someone offered based on his history of playing basketball and he accepted. Of course no one is entitled to anything really, but how can you say he didn't earn it? Someone supporting UVA seems to think he did. The bolded just comes off as petty and bitter on your part.

Fair value = whatever someone is willing and able to pay for something. If a donor or whoever is willing to pay this kid $450k, that's his fair market value.

Someone offered based on his history of playing basketball and he accepted. Of course no one is entitled to anything really, but how can you say he didn't earn it? Someone supporting UVA seems to think he did. The bolded just comes off as petty and bitter on your part.
Its not just Rhode. I am bitter that schools are using NIL as pay for play and would love some much needed oversight.

Fair value = whatever someone is willing and able to pay for something. If a donor or whoever is willing to pay this kid $450k, that's his fair market value.
Market value in a system that technically doesn't exist. Again, good on these kids for capitalizing, but to say it's fair is not correct, imo.

Its not just Rhode. I am bitter that schools are using NIL as pay for play and would love some much needed oversight.
I don't know if it would be exaggerating to say everyone saw this coming. It certainly favors the more passionate fan bases. We are just going to have to win with less talented rosters until the Gophers garner the same support as other teams. Basically where we were anyway regardless of NIL.

Pay for play always existed. To think otherwise is naive at best. Even John Wooden had a bag man.
Now it's just out in the open for everyone to see.

Pay for play always existed. To think otherwise is naive at best. Even John Wooden had a bag man.
Now it's just out in the open for everyone to see.
So it's his fair share now because cheating is more widespread? Agree to disagree on that one.

Top Bottom