Shooter: Andrew Rohde is getting $450K over 3 years in NIL money at Virginia

I think the Rohde contract if true is interesting. The discussion here has kind of gone off the rails, but one of the points being made about him earning his fair share made me think about how these NIL boosters do things, and I think this gets at the possible shadiness. These are all supposed to be run outside of the institution. I don't really see how a supposedly non-affiliated group looks at Rohde and just randomly decides to offer 450k unless they're just doing it across the board/have a fund set for whoever the head coach decides to sign and that's what they end up with. To me it more strikes as he said he was coming (or possibly coming), they set him up with the collective (which is not how this is supposed to work) who looked at what funds they had for the year, and offered him the money. Did they have to get in a bidding war? Are NIL collectives offers discussed between organizations or offered up by the player? I think this is what Moniker is referring to in that there is a set of "guidelines" on how this should all go from the NCAA who has no teeth to do anything if people are doing things outside the guidelines, creating imbalance (ie some collectives soliciting players who are at other schools to transfer or recruits looking to sign begin offered money contingent on signing).

Also is interesting to me that the NIL groups can classify as non-profits. Are they not supposed to be getting the benefit from the student athlete generating revenue for them based on their likeness or are we comfortable saying this is just the middle man and that this athlete is truly in market analysis generating money for a company (like Rohde is directly benefitting companies that money as decided by someone)? NIL is here to stay and I'm all for people getting paid. I would anticipate at some point they are all going to be contracted athletes at the University level and maybe at the NIL level (will NIL collectives start implementing buyouts to lock athletes in?) There's not really any regulation on this to this point which there is in any other industry, and I can see why people are desiring that.

And most all of us would love it if the Gophers had a billionaire sugar daddy that put big time money into the football and basketball programs, either under the table or over the table.
Correct. If the gophers were winning titles, would envision most people would look the other way provided that the maneuvering was not illegal (and even if it was, most still would look the other way)

I skimmed the first page but that last paragraph was a real doozy. "Your own self" and "Preaching your own virtue" made me smile. But the lawyer calling me gross😆😆😆 that was gold.
What is this 1983? Aren't lawyers jerks?!? But yeah, I'm around a lot of gross people every day but most of them don't have the audacity to proclaim themselves as virtuous while doing the gross thing. You actually hit the triplefecta though. You are being ungodly selfish, you are acting moral while being selfish, and then when called on it you're backtracking like the coward you are.

As far as not reading my post, you read every single word. We all know you did. Again, stop being such a coward. You just didn't have a rebuttal.

What is this 1983? Aren't lawyers jerks?!? But yeah, I'm around a lot of gross people every day but most of them don't have the audacity to proclaim themselves as virtuous while doing the gross thing. You actually hit the triplefecta though. You are being ungodly selfish, you are acting moral while being selfish, and then when called on it you're backtracking like the coward you are.

As far as not reading my post, you read every single word. We all know you did. Again, stop being such a coward. You just didn't have a rebuttal.
My one post about having morals was in response to a poster promoting giving hookers and cocaine to players. Apparently that makes me a terrible person...whatever, I'll sleep fine tonight.

with all due respect, I think this thread has gone off in two different directions.

it started out as a question of whether Rohde was worth $150k a year in NIL, but then veered into a broader discussion on the merits and ethics of NIL programs.

I think there should be national NIL legislation. But until there is national legislation, teams and boosters are essentially free to do whatever they want.

so if some Fat Cat wants to shell out $450k to Rohde, he has that right. if the Gophers choose not to participate in that aspect of NIL, that is also their choice.

with all due respect, I think this thread has gone off in two different directions.

it started out as a question of whether Rohde was worth $150k a year in NIL, but then veered into a broader discussion on the merits and ethics of NIL programs.

I think there should be national NIL legislation. But until there is national legislation, teams and boosters are essentially free to do whatever they want.

so if some Fat Cat wants to shell out $450k to Rohde, he has that right. if the Gophers choose not to participate in that aspect of NIL, that is also their choice.
Did Ben overlook this kid out of hs?

Did Ben overlook this kid out of hs?

according to 247, when in HS, Rohde had reported offers from:
DePaul, Illinois-Chicago, Bowling Green, Western Illinois, Central Michigan, Western Michigan, Wisconsin-Milwaukee and Appalachian State. No P5 offers.

So I suppose you could say that a lot of teams overlooked him. depending on which recruiting service you go by, he was either the 7th-best or 5th-best prospect in WI as a HS SR.

according to 247, when in HS, Rohde had reported offers from:
DePaul, Illinois-Chicago, Bowling Green, Western Illinois, Central Michigan, Western Michigan, Wisconsin-Milwaukee and Appalachian State. No P5 offers.

So I suppose you could say that a lot of teams overlooked him. depending on which recruiting service you go by, he was either the 7th-best or 5th-best prospect in WI as a HS SR.

Technically basketball has a P6 which includes the Big East and DePaul, so he did have a P6 offer. It is interesting that he chose St Thomas over DePaul.

JONNY TAUER - I Saw this kid drop 32 vs NCAA Rated 22 at time Oral Roberts in StP. Packed!! He is A BITCH. Plus He Plays D! Bottom line folks, yes, UW missed on him, they know it. BIG ??? Is why isn’t Jonny Tairer our Coach?,?!?!
Technically basketball has a P6 which includes the Big East and DePaul, so he did have a P6 offer. It is interesting that he chose St Thomas over DePaul.
cause Jonny T can rectruit!! U of MN next coach…..

Surprised Wisconsin didn’t offer. I wasn’t surprised he did well at St Thomas. Kind of recruit we have to identify considering where our program is at.
Agreed. For a coach that was primarily hired to identify and sign mn talent misses like this are Pitinoesque.

He just doesn't look like he can play at the P6 level. Not quick enough laterally on defense and if he's not making his outside shot, he's pretty much worthless out there.

Top Bottom