Shama: U to priortize diversity in search

Exactly. It's just entirely unnecessary, and that would be very unfair if that type of perception were to tarnish say for instance a Sumlin hiring. If he's hired, then great. I'm assuming they hired him because he's the best possible guy.....but then this diversity stuff comes out, and if we hired him now, then people would be wondering if that were part of the reason why.

It's just dumb, being politically correct for the sake of being politically correct, and I don't know why the U insists on doing these things. There was never a hint of race in this search process, and now they've opened up that whole can of worms themselves. It's very frustrating as a fan to sit back and watch them do things like this.

I think the author knew exactly what he was doing publishing this johnny come lately stuff. He is trying to undercut a potential Sumlin hire. It is too bad we still have dinasours amongst us.

And Horton have been lighting the place up. Yeah OK. Cross was the Associate Head Coach. Next man up is how I see it. I am certain you are not suggesting Horton's resume demanded that he get the opportunity. It probably came down to who was the next highest paid staffmember. Man, I can't wait to get this year over with and get a fresh new start. The players do not deserve this mess.

Sure they do. Their execution has not been flawless, their effort hasn't been unquestionable. Has the coaching been poor, yes it has, but the players are the ones on the field over pursuing plays, etc. They don't deserve to be booed, but they are not without fault for the current status.

How did the machines know what Tasty Wheat tasted like. huh? Maybe they got it wrong. Maybe what I think Tasty Wheat tasted like actually tasted like oatmeal or tuna fish. That makes you wonder about a lot of things. You take chicken for example, maybe they couldn't figure out what to make chicken taste like, which is why chicken tastes like everything.

LOL!

And Horton have been lighting the place up. Yeah OK. Cross was the Associate Head Coach. Next man up is how I see it. I am certain you are not suggesting Horton's resume demanded that he get the opportunity. It probably came down to who was the next highest paid staffmember. Man, I can't wait to get this year over with and get a fresh new start. The players do not deserve this mess.

Actually, Horton's resume dwarfs that of Cross.

Horton has been a college head coach for six years, a college coordinator, an NFL position coach, done the news conferences, TV shows, rubber chicken stuff all before. He's been part of a Rose Bowl team and has 25 years experience at a high level.

Cross?? He was a high school coach for four years. That's the basis of his head coaching experience. A college position assistant coach for six years on some of the worst BCS teams in history (Syracuse/Minnesota). Never a coordinator. That, and his Minnesota defensive lines have been terrible. Finished last in sacks and rushing defense in three of his four years here. But, sure, let's give him the interim job because he's a black man. Makes sense.

Horton getting the interim deal was about as big of a no-brainer as you could possibly get here.

Sure they do. Their execution has not been flawless, their effort hasn't been unquestionable. Has the coaching been poor, yes it has, but the players are the ones on the field over pursuing plays, etc. They don't deserve to be booed, but they are not without fault for the current status.

No one is suggesting anyone is without some fault; football is the ultimate team sport. However, a team can lose but still not be chaotic or a mess. Purdue is having a losing season but I do not sense their team to be a mess.

We should still be getting better every week.

No one is suggesting anyone is without some fault; football is the ultimate team sport. However, a team can lose but still not be chaotic or a mess. Purdue is having a losing season but I do not sense their team to be a mess.

We should still be getting better every week.

I agree. I think Purdue's trainers room is a mess. Hard to say if this team is getting better, results say they are not. However, the quality of opponent is getting tougher as the season goes on also.

Actually, Horton's resume dwarfs that of Cross.

Horton has been a college head coach for six years, a college coordinator, an NFL position coach, done the news conferences, TV shows, rubber chicken stuff all before. He's been part of a Rose Bowl team and has 25 years experience at a high level.

Cross?? He was a high school coach for four years. That's the basis of his head coaching experience. A college position assistant coach for six years on some of the worst BCS teams in history (Syracuse/Minnesota). Never a coordinator. That, and his Minnesota defensive lines have been terrible. Finished last in sacks and rushing defense in three of his four years here. But, sure, let's give him the interim job because he's a black man. Makes sense.

Horton getting the interim deal was about as big of a no-brainer as you could possibly get here.

Oh yeah, that resume is all important in making such decisions. Except when we hired Brewster I guess. The rules apply when you want them to I see. You give opportunity to whom you wish. Right.

Oh yeah, that resume is all important in making such decisions. Except when we hired Brewster I guess. The rules apply when you want them to I see. You give opportunity to whom you wish. Right.

So, now you're saying Cross' resume is equal to Brewster?? C'mon man. At least Brewster spent many, many years around some big time college football and around some top notch NFL coaches and teams. Obviously, he didn't work out.

Not sure what you're love affair with Cross is, but he is CLEARLY not a candidate to be a head coach, period, interim or otherwise. He'd rank 4th or 5th on the current staff. He was Brewster's buddy so Brew gave him the faux Associate title. It was fake. A way to soothe things when he wasn't named D Coordinator after Roof left. Brew knew he couldn't hire his buddy as DC, so he handed him the fake title with a bump in pay. Cross' D-line has underperformed every year he's been here. He's learned under who? Brewster and Greg Robinson. Wow. Those are two of arguably the worst BCS coaches of the last 50 years. Cross' teams have won seven conference games in his only six years as a college position assistant! Yep, that resume reeks of head coach!

But, you go ahead and keep thinking he should be placed in charge.

Yes, because if you needed heart surgery, you would select the minority beginner over the guy with experience simply to "give him an opportunity" wouldn't you?

Apples and Oranges again. Football is a game Mr. Klondike. But just for a retort, it worked out fine with Dr Ben Carson.

An even simpler explanation? Horton had Head Coaching experience and you're right, Maturi was just looking for someone to finish the year.

Play Gray, throw the damn ball and don't finish 1-11.

Oh well, great choice. 1 - 11 here we come.

"Play Gray, throw the damn ball and don't finish 1-11."

Oh well, great choice. 1 - 11 here we come.

Great, now you got something against having a black QB. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

So, now you're saying Cross' resume is equal to Brewster?? C'mon man. At least Brewster spent many, many years around some big time college football and around some top notch NFL coaches and teams. Obviously, he didn't work out.

Not sure what you're love affair with Cross is, but he is CLEARLY not a candidate to be a head coach, period, interim or otherwise. He'd rank 4th or 5th on the current staff. He was Brewster's buddy so Brew gave him the faux Associate title. It was fake. A way to soothe things when he wasn't named D Coordinator after Roof left. Brew knew he couldn't hire his buddy as DC, so he handed him the fake title with a bump in pay. Cross' D-line has underperformed every year he's been here. He's learned under who? Brewster and Greg Robinson. Wow. Those are two of arguably the worst BCS coaches of the last 50 years. Cross' teams have won seven conference games in his only six years as a college position assistant! Yep, that resume reeks of head coach!

But, you go ahead and keep thinking he should be placed in charge.

Its funny you mention Robinson being one of the worse coaches along with Brewster and one is on paid leave and the other has a top paying D Coordinator position at MICHIGAN. You prove my point. OPPORTUNITY NOT GIVEN IS OPPORTUNITY DENIED! You can eviscerate the resume of every member on Brewster's staff including Horton. Brewster was the precedent. Lack of head coaching experience did not impede the hire. If not Cross, then Lee, if not Lee then Hammock. One of them could have been made Asst Head Coach since Horton literally just got hired. Just an opportunity is all I'm suggesting was due. You sound to have inside information about buddies and favors so I defer. Just does not look fair to me as I outlined earlier. Lets move on.

OPPORTUNITY NOT GIVEN IS OPPORTUNITY DENIED! If not Cross, then Lee, if not Lee then Hammock. One of them could have been made Asst Head Coach since Horton literally just got hired. Just an opportunity is all I'm suggesting was due.

Opportunity denied for John Butler, Kevin Cosgrove, Tim Davis, too. Why won't you stump for them? Two of the three have won a lot more games as assistants than Cross or Hammock.

Are you sure about that?

Tony Dungy - hired by Tampa Bay Bucs 1996
Rooney Rule - implemented in 2003

Perhaps I should have said "token minority interview." Thanks for pointing out my oversight.

Opportunity denied for John Butler, Kevin Cosgrove, Tim Davis, too. Why won't you stump for them? Two of the three have won a lot more games as assistants than Cross or Hammock.

Because I knew you would.

I think I liked your schtick as an uninformed psuedo defensive backfield expert more than your uninformed psuedo HR expert schtick.

Well, your opinion of what my signiture behavior is or was at any point in our discussions here only reflect your apparrent SCHTICK being an uninformed judge.

I am not there at all. Just fair opportunity dude. Thats all.

Honest question. Do you have intimate knowledge of how Horton being given the interim tag went down or are you just speculating that since Horton got the job, there couldn't have been fairness in the process?

Top Bottom