Shama: U to priortize diversity in search

http://www.shamasportsheadliners.com/#Eric
(Based on email from Maturi...Shama also discusses Sumlin and Navy coach)

This literally makes me sick. A coach is a coach no matter what color their skin is, no matter where there family matriculated from, no matter what side of the Mason Dixon line they have coached on. I literally hate the fact that anyone has to write an email about stressing diversity in the search. Diversity should be a given. Have all of the coaches interview behind a curtain, with some sort of voice distortion. Then we cannnot tell what they look like, or if they have a southern drawl. I don't care, I just want the best coach available. If the best coach available is one of those blue people from Avatar then that is who we should hire.

To me a statement like this only further cements the idea that there is some sort of difference between people based on their skin color.

Perhaps I am misinterpreting, or I am on a soapbox that doesn't make sense. I am happy to hear other's opinions.

Fml.

I'm fully on board with giving people of all races a fair shot at employment, especially since many were disadvantaged for so long, but as highlighted in the article (Tubby, Clem, strong consideration to Strong, many other examples) the U has already proven that it's not a racist institution.

We need to hire the best candidate for the job, not the best minority candidate. If Sumlin (or whomever) is the best candidate, then hire him. But if we find out that Sumlin was hired over, say, Golden because of the color of his skin, I will personally donate money to any cause dedicated to removing Maturi from office forthwith.

Many spread or high octane offensive schemes tend to expose defenses. Mainly due to their typical poor ball control ability or limited clock control. However, Northwestern seems to manage and even Michigan is finding a way to win. Frankly, you can still have a good defense but need an appropriate coordinator to run a solid and compatible system. Thus, regardless to Sumlin's defenses at Houston, he likely would be a solid grab for HC for The U. We are going to need good money for a reliable D coordinator anyway. JMHO.

Fml.

I'm fully on board with giving people of all races a fair shot at employment, especially since many were disadvantaged for so long, but as highlighted in the article (Tubby, Clem, strong consideration to Strong, many other examples) the U has already proven that it's not a racist institution.

We need to hire the best candidate for the job, not the best minority candidate. If Sumlin (or whomever) is the best candidate, then hire him. But if we find out that Sumlin was hired over, say, Golden because of the color of his skin, I will personally donate money to any cause dedicated to removing Maturi from office forthwith.

What you say here goes without saying. It is unfortunate any time an apparently needed effort to assure opportunity is employed someone feels compelled to threaten backlash if a minority candadate actually gets the job over someone who MUST HAVE BEEN BETTER BECAUSE.....

if a minority candadate actually gets the job over someone who MUST HAVE BEEN BETTER BECAUSE.....

That's not what I said. Don't put words in my mouth.

The issue is what priority is placed on skin color. If it's further down the list, that's fine. But if priority #1 is skin color, that's wrong. Think of me what you will, but I will never be convinced otherwise.

If it's an HBCU, that's one thing. But last time I checked, the University of Minnesota is not an HBCU.

I don't like this article at a time like this because it will make some people believe that if the U hires a Sumlin or Shannon that it was done in the name of diversity above qualifications.

That's not what I said. Don't put words in my mouth.

The issue is what priority is placed on skin color. If it's further down the list, that's fine. But if priority #1 is skin color, that's wrong. Think of me what you will, but I will never be convinced otherwise.

If it's an HBCU, that's one thing. But last time I checked, the University of Minnesota is not an HBCU.

But you knew darn well before you typed your comment that SKIN COLOR is NOT a TOP Priority and no one believes that it is. Its about opportunity to seriously be considered for the job. Lets not play games

I don't like this article at a time like this because it will make some people believe that if the U hires a Sumlin or Shannon that it was done in the name of diversity above qualifications.

Well that is too bad. That is our society at this time. Bottom line, not enough opportunity was given before the Brewster hire and Dungy likely let some people know about it at that time. That is why this is being said now.

But you knew darn well before you typed your comment that SKIN COLOR is NOT a TOP Priority and no one believes that it is. Its about opportunity to seriously be considered for the job. Lets not play games

No, I DON'T know that. I am not Joel Maturi or Robert Bruininks. If I am, then I seriously need to talk to HR, because they've been leaving the extra zero off my paychecks.

Bottom line, not enough opportunity was given before the Brewster hire

BS. Strong, a black man, was runner-up. He probably would've had the job if those hiring didn't place so much emphasis on recruiting and rebuilding in-state HS connections. They thought Brewster would be the best at both of those things, which is why he was hired. It had nothing to do with race.

No, I DON'T know that. I am not Joel Maturi or Robert Bruininks. If I am, then I seriously need to talk to HR, because they've been leaving the extra zero off my paychecks.

BS. Strong, a black man, was runner-up. He probably would've had the job if those hiring didn't place so much emphasis on recruiting and rebuilding in-state HS connections. They thought Brewster would be the best at both of those things, which is why he was hired. It had nothing to do with race.

Oh, I see, if a Black guy was considered then we must conclude there was enough opportunity given. Now I see where you are coming from.

Oh, I see, if a Black guy was considered then we must conclude there was enough opportunity given. Now I see where you are coming from.

"Considered" = "Runner up"?

And no, that is not just semantics. A Strong hire had many advocates, both publicly and otherwise.

"Considered" = "Runner up"?

And no, that is not just semantics. A Strong hire had many advocates, both publicly and otherwise.

Yeah, yeah, yeah...Plenty of lip service and posturing. And you bought that huh

Our last coach showed that we are a progressive university! We hired a mentally handicapped individual to man the highest paid position on campus!

I am fine with that as long as they hire the best coach. Given the state of our athletic program, I think we should regard a winner as a diverse hire.

Non-issue

Looks like Shama is about two weeks late on this. Maturi's e-mail seems to be a reply to a "diversity"
question.

Not only will University officials vigorously support that mandate, but also important is the school’s record of hiring for high profile positions in the athletic department during the last 20 years.

The present football staff includes six African-Americans in prominent positions, the most in school history and more than many other BCS programs. Among the six are associate head coach Tim Cross, co-offensive coordinator Thomas Hammock, co-defensive coordinator Ronnie Lee and head strength & conditioning coach Mark Hill.

McKinley Boston, the Gophers athletic director during the early 1990s, is one of the few African-Americans ever to hold the position of athletic director at a Big Ten school. And two of Minnesota’s last three men’s basketball coaches have been African-Americans, Clem Haskins and Tubby Smith.

That should answer anybody except people on either side who want to make it an issue.

Given the state of our athletic program, I think we should regard a winner as a diverse hire.

Rimshot.gif

I am fine with that as long as they hire the best coach. Given the state of our athletic program, I think we should regard a winner as a diverse hire.

Agreed. My only concern here, and I think it should be Dungy's concern, is that there is "consideration" and then there's "consideration." Bring in the best coaches from all heritages and seriously consider the best ones regardless of race, creed, and religion. I worry that so much of the "diversity in search and hire" is simply window-dressing and parading diverse candidates with no chance of getting the job simply reinforces that perception. Dungy was "Mr. Rooney Rule" for about half a decade and he should understand this better than anyone.

Let's not read too much into this. Maturi basically stated that they value diversity and that minority candidates would be part of the process. I would expect no less. That also doesn't mean that the new head coach will be a minority, just that minority coaches will get a fair shake.

They need to prioritize giving people a reason to give a damn about this football program.

Scratch that. Screw the program. I have just been informed there are no Filipino head coaches in NCAA football.

Looks like Shama is about two weeks late on this. Maturi's e-mail seems to be a reply to a "diversity"
question.

Not only will University officials vigorously support that mandate, but also important is the school’s record of hiring for high profile positions in the athletic department during the last 20 years.

The present football staff includes six African-Americans in prominent positions, the most in school history and more than many other BCS programs. Among the six are associate head coach Tim Cross, co-offensive coordinator Thomas Hammock, co-defensive coordinator Ronnie Lee and head strength & conditioning coach Mark Hill.

McKinley Boston, the Gophers athletic director during the early 1990s, is one of the few African-Americans ever to hold the position of athletic director at a Big Ten school. And two of Minnesota’s last three men’s basketball coaches have been African-Americans, Clem Haskins and Tubby Smith.

That should answer anybody except people on either side who want to make it an issue.

Well, you may think so but let me point out a couple of issues that need to be addressed as well.

While The U should be commended for its diversity of the staff, note that none of the African Americans were granted true leadership positions. Folks on this board made sure to emphasize which coordinator of the co offensive and defensive coordinators were truely calling the shots; and we only need to look as far as which was being paid the most to confirm same. While Coach Cross was the Associate Head Coach, he was passed over for the interim position when Brewster was fired. Thus, opportunity to assend is really denied. Note that Coach Hammock only got a true opportunity to be an Offensive Coordinator with play-calling responsibility when Horton was given the Interim Head Coach position. Out of all of these experienced coaches on Brewster's staff, none of them were capable of serving as a true coordinator? I think not. Even the special teams coordinator position was given to Butler.

The truth sometimes is a bitter pill.

I can only talk about diversity from my experience. So
hardbeingwhitecat.jpg

Top Bottom