Shama: Players who might transfer are reserves Berkley Edwards and Jacques Perra

It definitely will be interesting to watch the competition for QB once Leidner graduates. Croft has done nothing to impress me so far (granted, he was just a freshman). It will be interesting to see how it plays out with Perra, Croft, and Green.
And I believe that while Leidner has the leg up based on his experience, I also believe Claeys won't play favorites and will go with the QB who gives them the best chance to win. Spring ball will have some intrigue this year with all the changes!

Maybe this was one of the reasons Limey and coach Z had to go. Claeys may have seen that other talented players were underutilized (ie Perra). With the coaching shake up, this would be a prime time for Perra to get a shot.

I doubt Perra's lack of playing time was a reason for Limey and Z's departure.

This would be the 87th reason suggested on this board. Every change, tweak or suggestion leads to a "that is why they got rid of them" post

And I believe that while Leidner has the leg up based on his experience, I also believe Claeys won't play favorites and will go with the QB who gives them the best chance to win. Spring ball will have some intrigue this year with all the changes!

Of course he will - that's his job. Every coach since the beginning of time has played the QB that gave his team the best chance to win.

With Leidner set to hardly play (if at all) in the spring due to his foot surgery, I doubt anyone will outright take the job from him. At best maybe they make a case to be the #2 that gets a little bit of extra playing time.

Of course he will - that's his job. Every coach since the beginning of time has played the QB that gave his team the best chance to win.
Do you think Leslie Fraiser started Josh Freeman two years ago because he felt like he gave the Vikes the best chance to win? I'll wager that wasn't his choice.

I don't want to cause bad things to happen, but in a dual-threat QB set, there's a good chance that everyone plays sometime during the year. Wasn't it Baylor that had to have one of their receivers play QB for the last half of the game.... if my memory serves me right.
As an old-timer who's watched somewhere around a million football games, give or take a few, I've personally witnessed countless situations where injuries decimate a particular postion on a football team. A friend of mine was the 6th string TE going into camp, wound up starting, and went on to play 8 years in the NFL. Sometimes you work hard and are ready when your chance comes. If it doesn't come, you're better off for doing everything you can to be ready, and the team benefits.

I do believe that TC canned Lime and Z in part because of not developing the QB position. Claeys will count on his hires to determine who gets the ball. Should be a fun spring.

The intrigue will be who will be backup, third-string, fourth-string, etc. Leidner will play every snap unless we're way ahead, way behind, or he's injured.

I think Limegrover and Zebrowski were let go because they are still living in MAC-land when it came to scheme design and game-planning.

Leidner has had his moments good and bad, but I want to see him in the new offense before making any judgments about his long-term prospects. If Perra transfers, it will likely be more about Seth Green coming in as opposed to anything else. Looking forward, after Leidner graduates, Croft likely becomes the starter and Green is likely the back-up as the redshirt freshman. That's not written in stone and Perra certainly would compete for both those slots, so that's all conjecture on my part. If rumors are true and we're looking to sign 2 QBs this class, that would be a bigger indicator of what the staff thinks of the current set of QBs.

Do you think Leslie Fraiser started Josh Freeman two years ago because he felt like he gave the Vikes the best chance to win? I'll wager that wasn't his choice.
Fraizer also had a GM, in college, the coach is czar of the football program. not a valid comparison

I do believe that TC canned Lime and Z in part because of not developing the QB position. Claeys will count on his hires to determine who gets the ball. Should be a fun spring.
I'll bet you a year salary if healthy Leidner the starting quarterback regardless of what happens in the spring, but you're right it'll be fun to see who his back up is, my money's on Croft

I'll bet you a year salary if healthy Leidner the starting quarterback regardless of what happens in the spring, but you're right it'll be fun to see who his back up is, my money's on Croft

Leidner has proved me wrong about 50% of the time so I wouldn't touch that bet.

It definitely will be interesting to watch the competition for QB once Leidner graduates. Croft has done nothing to impress me so far (granted, he was just a freshman). It will be interesting to see how it plays out with Perra, Croft, and Green.

Did you attend the Fall scrimmage? Croft looked very good, easily the best QB performance there. Mobile, strong accurate arm, good decision making, etc. As I've said in other posts, he just needs to hit the weight room and get a little bigger.

The intrigue will be who will be backup, third-string, fourth-string, etc. Leidner will play every snap unless we're way ahead, way behind, or he's injured.

Agreed. Bet he recovers faster than people are predicting and practices quite a bit in Spring. As much as I loathe to say it, Weber figured something out with Mitch the last five games. Helps being close to healthy, too.

Fraizer also had a GM, in college, the coach is czar of the football program. not a valid comparison
Sorry. I assumed that the head coach of an NFL team would fall under the category of "every coach since the beginning of time". My bad.

Did you attend the Fall scrimmage? Croft looked very good, easily the best QB performance there. Mobile, strong accurate arm, good decision making, etc. As I've said in other posts, he just needs to hit the weight room and get a little bigger.

I went to a fall practice, not the scrimmage. He didn't jump out at all to me there. He looked, at best, no better than the other QB's when it came to throwing. They didn't do much running so I didn't see that. His completion % in the few tries he had in games this year is awfully low though (maybe too small of a sample size to judge).

Leidner has proved me wrong about 50% of the time so I wouldn't touch that bet.

Besides judging QBs I see math is another thing that you are not very good at. Your forte seems to be sticking with a belief even when it becomes obvious that you were wrong. That is okay. Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.:rolleyes:

Agreed. Bet he recovers faster than people are predicting and practices quite a bit in Spring. As much as I loathe to say it, Weber figured something out with Mitch the last five games. Helps being close to healthy, too.

Why is it a bad thing if Weber was able to help Mitch play better? Until someone else on the roster beats him out for the starting job we need the best version of Mitch we can get. He is never going to be an elite QB but he proved he can at least be solid down the stretch.

Besides judging QBs I see math is another thing that you are not very good at. Your forte seems to be sticking with a belief even when it becomes obvious that you were wrong. That is okay. Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.:rolleyes:

50% of the time, Leidner has proved him wrong 100% of the time?

oic, your including the struggling offensive wins over sht teams as a plus for Mitcheroo..ok, melonhead.

oic, your including the struggling offensive wins over sht teams as a plus for Mitcheroo..ok, melonhead.

You mean the 3 games (Col. St., Kent St., and Ohio) where Mitch had an average QB Rating of 123?

Guessing those had more to do with our lack of a running game.

Agreed. The two biggest differences I saw:

1) Anticipating who would likely be open and throwing to a spot, rather than waiting to see with 100% certainty somebody was open and then throwing to them.

2) Taking chances throwing deep into single coverage, even when the DB was running stride for stride with the WR.

Strevler has won every game he has ever started. We are talking a 100% winning percentage. Sure you can point out that he had a 14% completion rate during every game that he ever started but that would be knit picking and who on this forum would ever want to be accused of knit picking. Anyway there is your backup quarterback and our new OC will figure that out quickly. :)

Top Bottom