Shama: Players who might transfer are reserves Berkley Edwards and Jacques Perra

Did Johansen redshirt this year? I didn't realize that was all the running backs they would have on their roster.

Gentry staying is huge! I really hope he stays healthy and gets it figured out because he could be special. Best wide receiver recruit we've had in the Kill era. Being that he decided to stay is a step in the right direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They have run a run heavy offense, and will continue to do so, you need more than 2 RB's in that type of system. Rodrick Williams & Berkely Edwards are done. They don't have a commitment from a RB in this years class. That leaves Smith, Brooks, Femi-Cole & Johannesson. I hope he stays and continues to play RB.

They will likely end up with juco RB Kobe Mcray. 6-1, 220 pound power back.

The way Brooks runs at people, he's probably a bit more of an injury risk than Smith, but Smith was banged up this year as well. I hope Johannesson stays. Although the offenses are different (and we don't know how the schemes may change going forward), Johannesson could be a Thomas Tapeh "type" who could line up at FB or TB and really contribute.

The way Brooks runs at people, he's probably a bit more of an injury risk than Smith, but Smith was banged up this year as well. I hope Johannesson stays. Although the offenses are different (and we don't know how the schemes may change going forward), Johannesson could be a Thomas Tapeh "type" who could line up at FB or TB and really contribute.

I was thinking he was behind so many people that he might not get a chance. However the one year I think Mason had Maroney, Russel and Tapeh all in the same backfield. All three played in the NFL. Those may or may not be correct but I remember three good backs in the same season.

I was thinking he was behind so many people that he might not get a chance. However the one year I think Mason had Maroney, Russel and Tapeh all in the same backfield. All three played in the NFL. Those may or may not be correct but I remember three good backs in the same season.

2003 would have had Maroney, Barber and Tapeh.

Russell and Tapeh did not overlap (unless Russell redshirted in '03).

I had mentioned earlier - I would never consider myself an insider. My info is so limited, but worth sharing. I was told by a legacy family that there is concern that they could lose 2 RB's, 2 WR's and at least one lineman. I don't know any names, but my personal guess would be Johannesson and Gentry based on the chatter on Gopherhole. I could see the RB's looking at the two freshman starters this year, and realizing they have good players in front of them.

It was easier to get a bit more info once the news went public, but the WR's were Gant and Gentry, with Gentry deciding to stay. The RB's were Edwards and Johannesson, and the OLineman decided to stay without making an issue after talking with coaches. That's all I got. They never said anything about James - which would make sense since their son had played on the offense, and was plugged in with a few of the O players/young coaches. I am hoping that is all the attrition. Basically, stuff that came out over a cup of coffee with the dad after work. I really hope we do not lose any O lineman, so this could be good news.

Substitute Jeff Jones for Johannesson and this is spot on.

I'd like to see some power running with Johannesson. He reminds me of Mike Alstot.

I'm thinking Fullback. We use Miles Thomas quite extensively. Johannesson has the build and speed. Don't know about blocking or "soft hands" for passes, but he'd be valuable there if it fits into new scheme.

Entertaining to read the 25 pages of posts in the last 24 hrs. on the Bison board on this subject. Pretty entertaining - about 2/3 were wet dreams about him ending up in Fargo and what position changes they could make to accommodate him, and the rest were saying there was no way it was happening.

Entertaining to read the 25 pages of posts in the last 24 hrs. on the Bison board on this subject. Pretty entertaining - about 2/3 were wet dreams about him ending up in Fargo and what position changes they could make to accommodate him, and the rest were saying there was no way it was happening.

And a few who said he wasn't good enough to crack their rotation

I'd like to see some power running with Johannesson. He reminds me of Mike Alstot.

Johanesson has a nice skill set and it will be interesting to see how much the offense changes with Johnson as coordinator and if there will be a bigger role for the fullback. Whether it's as a hammer at tailback or upfront as a fullback, he appears to have the size and speed that could do some damage.

Even with the top two you still need running backs, what if one leaves early

Johanesson has a nice skill set and it will be interesting to see how much the offense changes with Johnson as coordinator and if there will be a bigger role for the fullback. Whether it's as a hammer at tailback or upfront as a fullback, he appears to have the size and speed that could do some damage.

I don't want to see Johanesson leave the Gophers or switch positions. What I do want to see is him catching the passes and wheel routes that used to go to Mile Thomas out of the backfield. Would be interesting to see what a guy with some acceleration, a little speed if you will, would do on some of those back side screens and wheel routes that went to Thomas this year. He could easily be our thunder back with a little speed to burn.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Will Perra be a RS Jr?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, he'll be a RS-So. He obviously is appreciated by the receiving corp.

I am glad it looks like Perra is sticking around but I think his odds of being a starter at the QB position are fairly limited since the staff chose to burn Croft's redshirt instead of playing him last season. At this point it would seem that both Leidner and Croft would have to go down for Perra to get a shot.

I am glad it looks like Perra is sticking around but I think his odds of being a starter at the QB position are fairly limited since the staff chose to burn Croft's redshirt instead of playing him last season. At this point it would seem that both Leidner and Croft would have to go down for Perra to get a shot.

I don't want to cause bad things to happen, but in a dual-threat QB set, there's a good chance that everyone plays sometime during the year. Wasn't it Baylor that had to have one of their receivers play QB for the last half of the game.... if my memory serves me right.

Maybe this was one of the reasons Limey and coach Z had to go. Claeys may have seen that other talented players were underutilized (ie Perra). With the coaching shake up, this would be a prime time for Perra to get a shot.

I think there is a solid reason he is a backup, and probably will remain so.

It seems that Perra has a few supporters in the Gopherhole community. I watched him play in the Suburban East Conf for a few years, had sons that played against him. I feel he is maxing out his ability, and I would be shocked if he did more than serve as a backup. He had one D1 offer (SDSU) if I recall - I was honestly surprised he was a D1 prospect. He throws a nice ball, but is not very mobile, and his athleticism didn't have a very high upside compared to Croft, or even Leidner. If our offense is predicated on a QB that can run and move in the pocket, it is the opposite of this kid's talent. He is a pocket passer, and one with limited physical skills. He does throw a nice ball, but I don't think that is enough for a Power 5 football team.

I think there is a solid reason he is a backup, and probably will remain so.

It definitely will be interesting to watch the competition for QB once Leidner graduates. Croft has done nothing to impress me so far (granted, he was just a freshman). It will be interesting to see how it plays out with Perra, Croft, and Green.

Top Bottom