Shama: Bet on Beth Goetz for U AD Position

I don't think Kaler will be around to make the decision. His clock is ticking.

Agreed. I think he'll be gone for the Teague fiasco and someone else will make the decision. Goetz may still get the job. And what none of us knows, is if she is the best person for the job. She just might be.

Kaler is Kill's biggest supporter. Few past Presidents have supported Football like he has.
Not an excuse to avoid accountability but something to keep in mind.

Is there even a female AD at a D1 school? I don't see how we can hire an AD that hasn't even played high school football. This isn't a commentator job on ESPN2.

Yes. Was that a real question?

You think having played high school football is an important qualification? Lord help us.

The problem with making a PC hire is that the individual often feels the need to prove themselves, and run things in a different way than they normally would, proving they can stand up to coaches, etc.

How do we know she would be a PC hire? Interim appointments ascend to the permanent position all the time in the corporate world, etc.

An outside hire will feel the need to 'prove' themselves too. And probably want 'their guy' in either football or basketball as well. At least Goetz is less likely to feel the need for this, having already worked with these coaches for a few years.

Certainly, if all they do is a token search and hand it to her, that's not good. Simply saying she has an inside track is not the same thing.

Agreed. I think he'll be gone for the Teague fiasco and someone else will make the decision.

Congrats, you have hit the daily double. You are both wrong and clueless at the same time. Kaler is going to be here for as long as he wants. Count on it. Your so-called Teague fiasco is a minor blip on the Regent's radar screen that could happen to any leader of a large organization at any time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

U president Eric Kaler gets contract extension

Eric Kaler, the president of the University of Minnesota, got a five-year extension on his contract and his first pay raise in three years on Wednesday amid rave reviews of his job performance from the Board of Regents.

It voted unanimously to extend Kaler’s contract to 2020, and to increase his base salary from $610,000 to $625,250.

Board chairman Richard Beeson called Kaler “an outstanding leader,” and said the board wanted to ensure that he is not lured away by another university.

“Our goal is to retain him here,” Beeson said. Beeson cited a list of Kaler’s accomplishments on issues that continue to challenge the U, including his role in persuading the Minnesota Legislature to fund a two-year tuition freeze for undergraduate residents.

“For us to be successful, we need him here, doing the work that he’s doing, for another five or six years or more,” Beeson said.

Other regents, too, were effusive in their praise.

“We’ve had very high expectations for this president,” said Regent Clyde Allen. “I think those expectations are being exceeded day in and day out.” Said Regent John Frobenius: “We’re blessed to have an outstanding president at this point in time.”

Kaler was rated for “exceptional performance” in a regents’ performance review in June. He was described as “a pre-eminent scholar” who has been “refreshingly transparent and inclusive,” particularly working with faculty and staff members.

Will Durfee, a faculty leader and engineering professor, said: “Overall, I’ve been impressed with what he has done in a short period of time.” He credited Kaler with, among other things, lobbying for the tuition freeze and setting high but “achievable” goals for the university as part of a new strategic planning initiative.

Beeson called the contract a “pre-emptive and proactive” move to fend off potential suitors.

Kaler, who has a doctorate in chemical engineering from the U, confirmed that he regularly gets calls from other universities searching for top leaders. “I got two last week,” he said, but added that he has not been tempted to leave.

“No, my wife and I love it here,” he said. “It’s a wonderful institution. I graduated from here. I do love the place.”

http://www.startribune.com/u-presid...ntract-extension-and-2-5-pay-raise/266468351/

Congrats, you have hit the daily double. You are both wrong and clueless at the same time. Kaler is going to be here for as long as he wants. Count on it. Your so-called Teague fiasco is a minor blip on the Regent's radar screen that could happen to any leader of a large organization at any time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

U president Eric Kaler gets contract extension

Eric Kaler, the president of the University of Minnesota, got a five-year extension on his contract and his first pay raise in three years on Wednesday amid rave reviews of his job performance from the Board of Regents.

It voted unanimously to extend Kaler’s contract to 2020, and to increase his base salary from $610,000 to $625,250.

Board chairman Richard Beeson called Kaler “an outstanding leader,” and said the board wanted to ensure that he is not lured away by another university.

“Our goal is to retain him here,” Beeson said. Beeson cited a list of Kaler’s accomplishments on issues that continue to challenge the U, including his role in persuading the Minnesota Legislature to fund a two-year tuition freeze for undergraduate residents.

“For us to be successful, we need him here, doing the work that he’s doing, for another five or six years or more,” Beeson said.

Other regents, too, were effusive in their praise.

“We’ve had very high expectations for this president,” said Regent Clyde Allen. “I think those expectations are being exceeded day in and day out.” Said Regent John Frobenius: “We’re blessed to have an outstanding president at this point in time.”

Kaler was rated for “exceptional performance” in a regents’ performance review in June. He was described as “a pre-eminent scholar” who has been “refreshingly transparent and inclusive,” particularly working with faculty and staff members.

Will Durfee, a faculty leader and engineering professor, said: “Overall, I’ve been impressed with what he has done in a short period of time.” He credited Kaler with, among other things, lobbying for the tuition freeze and setting high but “achievable” goals for the university as part of a new strategic planning initiative.

Beeson called the contract a “pre-emptive and proactive” move to fend off potential suitors.

Kaler, who has a doctorate in chemical engineering from the U, confirmed that he regularly gets calls from other universities searching for top leaders. “I got two last week,” he said, but added that he has not been tempted to leave.

“No, my wife and I love it here,” he said. “It’s a wonderful institution. I graduated from here. I do love the place.”

http://www.startribune.com/u-presid...ntract-extension-and-2-5-pay-raise/266468351/

Just to be clear...that announcement, story was over a year ago.

Just to be clear...that announcement, story was over a year ago.

Thanks for pointing that out. I don't think the Regents have fallen out of love with Kaler because one of his hires went bad. Do you?

I'm pretty neutral on Kaler don't know enough about him to have an opinion, but from an outsiders standpoint hard to see how he could have handled the situation any better. I've heard some "he should have known" grumbling, but that's BS. When your a professional, you assume others are professionals until your presented with evidence they are not. Once this arose he was quick and decisive. If this had dragged out while Teague was on paid leave getting treatment for B.S. alcohol and sex addiction issues then Kaler would be in the hot seat.

Thanks for pointing that out. I don't think the Regents have fallen out of love with Kaler because one of his hires went bad. Do you?

I have no idea about the regents. I do know he was getting some heat from boosters/alumni. How much heat? Has it already dissapated? Seems quieter on my radar already. I do believe the sooner they break ground the quieter his critics will be. He seems safe to me, at the moment.

I don't think the issue is that he made a bad hire. Everyone makes mistakes. The issue is if he knew anything about what was going or should have known, then he'll resign quietly in the night. That will come when the independent investigation concludes.

Yes. Was that a real question?

You think having played high school football is an important qualification? Lord help us.

Nope. It was posted here because the Off Topic Board only had 70 viewers. :cool:

I don't think the issue is that he made a bad hire. Everyone makes mistakes. The issue is if he knew anything about what was going or should have known, then he'll resign quietly in the night. That will come when the independent investigation concludes.

If he knew what was going on Teague would have been on a slow skiff to the Azores.

How do we know she would be a PC hire? Interim appointments ascend to the permanent position all the time in the corporate world, etc.

An outside hire will feel the need to 'prove' themselves too. And probably want 'their guy' in either football or basketball as well. At least Goetz is less likely to feel the need for this, having already worked with these coaches for a few years.

Certainly, if all they do is a token search and hand it to her, that's not good. Simply saying she has an inside track is not the same thing.

We don't know that. I haven't seen an alternative case made. I've seen "how hard can it be? you just make contacts!"

It wasn't hard to predict when this scandal hit that they would be interested in a female AD to make it go away, and I made that exact argument at the time. That isn't an example of hiring the best person for the job.

I have no idea if she'd be good or bad, I've heard her interviewed once and thought she sounded sharp. But from the comments here, people want a female AD because it's an example of PROGRESS.

Wow. The experts sure are displaying their stupidity in this thread.

None of you know how Goetz will handle the job, but so many assume she can't handle it and is only being considered because of PC. Who do you think was handling many of the day to day responsibilities of the AD office over the last couple of years?

Just stop jumping to conclusions that fit your pre-conceived biases and let the situation play out. The U will not hire Goetz unless she can handle the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Conversely, you are just blindly trusting that she'll do a good job if she gets hired and concerns that she'll be hired primarily because of her gender are false.

We don't know that. I haven't seen an alternative case made. I've seen "how hard can it be? you just make contacts!"

It wasn't hard to predict when this scandal hit that they would be interested in a female AD to make it go away, and I made that exact argument at the time. That isn't an example of hiring the best person for the job.

I have no idea if she'd be good or bad, I've heard her interviewed once and thought she sounded sharp. But from the comments here, people want a female AD because it's an example of PROGRESS.

She was the probably the most logical choice for interim AD, along with O'Brien. Whoever the interim AD was would have an inside track on the position. They shouldn't hire her because she's a female. But she also doesn't deserve to have 50% of people doubt her qualifications simply because they assume it's nothing but a PC decision.

I can't be bothered to cruise through each post in this thread, so I'll ask you to back up your claim yourself. Who on this thread has stated that they want a female AD for the sake of "PROGRESS"?

I'm pretty neutral on Kaler don't know enough about him to have an opinion, but from an outsiders standpoint hard to see how he could have handled the situation any better. I've heard some "he should have known" grumbling, but that's BS. When your a professional, you assume others are professionals until your presented with evidence they are not. Once this arose he was quick and decisive. If this had dragged out while Teague was on paid leave getting treatment for B.S. alcohol and sex addiction issues then Kaler would be in the hot seat.

100% agreed. Nice post.

I don't know why so many people are so quick to jump on Kaler for this. He seemed to handle the situation very well, and unless something comes from an investigation that shows an attempt to cover up or brush aside, it's hard to imagine anything happening to him.

"PC hire" is 21st century Right Wing PC code for "anything other than a white male."

Hire her if she's qualified. Hold her to the same standards as anyone else. Should be that simple.

As a general rule of thumb, when a change in made in an AD or a prominent head coaching position - especially if the previous person left under a cloud - there is a tendency to hire someone who presents a contrast to the previous (failed) person.

Teague, from many accounts, alienated a lot of people at the U, in part because he was seen as not caring about the non-revenue sports. Therefore, I strongly suspect that the next AD will get the message that he or she has to play nice with the non-revenue sports and coaches. That does NOT mean they ignore the needs of the major revenue sports - but the next AD, at the very least, will be charged with maintaining good relationships with all of the sports.

one more thought - some AD's tend to be the administrative types - others tend to be the glad-handing, schmoozer types. if the U wants an administrative type, Goetz is already here and knows the landscape. If they want a schmoozer, I'm not sure that fits her profile.

To all of those saying this is only a PC hire, why? If she were a man, would it make a difference? Everything I have heard and read it sounds like she knows what she is doing and I would much rather appoint an associate AD with years of experience to the AD position than hire someone like Najarian or Taylor and take a complete flyer on someone with no AD experience (at least none that I am aware of). What would they know about running an athletics department?

As a general rule of thumb, when a change in made in an AD or a prominent head coaching position - especially if the previous person left under a cloud - there is a tendency to hire someone who presents a contrast to the previous (failed) person.

Teague, from many accounts, alienated a lot of people at the U, in part because he was seen as not caring about the non-revenue sports. Therefore, I strongly suspect that the next AD will get the message that he or she has to play nice with the non-revenue sports and coaches. That does NOT mean they ignore the needs of the major revenue sports - but the next AD, at the very least, will be charged with maintaining good relationships with all of the sports.

one more thought - some AD's tend to be the administrative types - others tend to be the glad-handing, schmoozer types. if the U wants an administrative type, Goetz is already here and knows the landscape. If they want a schmoozer, I'm not sure that fits her profile.

Teague was thought to be a schmoozer, but he evidently wasn't very good at it. Many comments about no communication.

Reading this thread just makes me see the need more and more for a Trump presidency. Women who are just as qualified as men should have the same opportunity and pay. This one is not qualified. She was right there at the top of the food chain while there was a hostile work environment/sexual harassment issues ongoing. Clean house. She was part of that. There's no way that she didn't know.

Her resume doesn't compare with who we should be looking at. If she wasn't a female no one would be interested.

Is there even a female AD at a D1 school? I don't see how we can hire an AD that hasn't even played high school football. This isn't a commentator job on ESPN2.

I thought you died?

Goetz is only 41. Seems a bit young to be an AD, much less the #2 at a B1G school. You don't get that far in a male dominated profession that quickly via token PC hires. Eye test is that she is very competent. This one-year probationary period, with the facilities upgrade and all, will give us a good look -- like a year-long interview. If that goes well, no question Goetz should be the next AD.

Goetz is only 41. Seems a bit young to be an AD, much less the #2 at a B1G school. You don't get that far in a male dominated profession that quickly via token PC hires. Eye test is that she is very competent.

I hate to disagree with you Nokomis, but there is a very very high profile politician in the US that would seem to prove your theory wrong. almost a perfect example. Of course, 1/2 the people on this board would disagree with me.

To all of those saying this is only a PC hire, why? If she were a man, would it make a difference? Everything I have heard and read it sounds like she knows what she is doing and I would much rather appoint an associate AD with years of experience to the AD position than hire someone like Najarian or Taylor and take a complete flyer on someone with no AD experience (at least none that I am aware of). What would they know about running an athletics department?

Because PC hires exist, all hires of preferred groups for the sake of progress beg the question. Is she the most qualified/best candidate or is she being hired based on her gender? If there weren't a huge national push from political groups to make hires based on demographics, no hires would be questioned on that basis. It is the negative consequence of the PC movement.

I think most people want the best candidate for a job as high profile and important as AD. If that's Beth, great. If Kill is on board, I can get behind her. If they are hiring her to make the Teague stench go away, it's probably not a good hire and won't work out. Either way, we probably won't know which it was until we see some results.

I hate to disagree with you Nokomis, but there is a very very high profile politician in the US that would seem to prove your theory wrong. almost a perfect example. Of course, 1/2 the people on this board would disagree with me.

Hint: On the Off-Topic Board you don't stand out quite as much as being paranoid, persecuted, and downright dumb. What in the hell did what Nakomis said have anything to do with whether Goetz is qualified to be the Gopher AD? But keep looking under rocks for those who are taking away your freedom and destroying this country.

Ah, I guess I missed that post. So one guy with an obviously horrible take on the situation is enough to generalize? Seems like you're making pretty sweeping claims (referencing "from the comments here, people want..." instead of one lone guy).

Mountain out of a molehill, methinks

Top Bottom